What is the SP101's place in the natural order of things?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

off road

Single-Sixer
Notice that in the original post (from Oct. 2011), I am longing for an SP101 in .22 rimfire. Ruger came through, and I bought the first one I could find! Now Ruger, what about a .22WRF?

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I haven't read all of the replies here, since it's a 3yr old thread, but I'm honestly surprised that this thing went further than one post. The dude's timeline was totally backwards. The S&W snubby 60 was around for 20yrs before the SP101 ever came out, so "if you wanted a compact 357, [the SP101] was the only choice" was wrong. Then he states that the Ultralight J-Frames came out AFTER the SP101, when they were available for over 30yrs before the SP101 was released.

Dude had no idea what he was talking about.

off road said:
When the SP101 first came out, it was the bomb! If you wanted a really compact .357, it was the only choice. For me, it replaced a larger heavier 2.5" S&W M66...

Then S&W stepped up with their ultralight J-frames!...

So, what is the SP's niche today? It is a bit to big and more than twice to heavy for pocket carry.

The niche is the same as it has always been. A tough, moderate recoiling, easily carried 357mag. A decent kit gun in a 3-4", a great concealed revolver in a 2.25".

off road said:
I would be silly to pick it vs a Glock 26 that is much lighter, has twice the capacity, and can be reloaded in half a second?

I'd love to see a video of your half second reloads.

off road said:
Maybe if they made it in .22 rimfire.....

They do now. Although I realize they did not at the time of posting back in 2011.

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
The sp101 is still dear to my heart. Sadly I let her go to fund my bug to get into a 10mm auto. I wish I could have kept it but I got impatient. The 10mm is sweet but that little 3" sp101 was fun, accurate, and potent. In my opinion a 3" sp101 w Jframe adjustable sights added would be THE 357. Cheers.

RugerHound

Hunter
sheepdawg said:
hammeredbean said:
sheepdawg said:
Ebay $18.00

sp1016-18-11.jpg

SPwithHeimdahlholster.jpg

Who made your holster?

[email protected]

Very comfortable and a perfect fit.

That's a very practical & handsome outfit!

off road

Single-Sixer
"Dude has no idea what he is talking about."

Notice that I said ".357". The 60, and all the J-Frames were .38 only for many many decades (not even .38+P!). The SP came out in .38+P, then later in .357, and S&W realized it had to do something to keep up. They discovered that if they heat treated their steel guns, they could greatly increase the strength, and so the steel frame .38+P and .357 J-Frames were born. While there were indeed airweight aluminum frame .38's back when, it was only with the advent of the aluminum/scandium alloy, did they come out with the ultralight airlight and airlight Ti models rated for .357..

Latest posts