What is it with Gunbroker prices??? Geeez!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

29aholic

Single-Sixer
So I am perusing GB for used FTBH 44spls. for another shooter in the fold and pretty much every one I find is $500+!! Crap, I can buy a new one for that! Am I missing something? I mean it's not like they quit making them.

57springer

Buckeye
29aholic said:
So I am perusing GB for used FTBH 44spls. for another shooter in the fold and pretty much every one I find is $500+!! Crap, I can buy a new one for that! Am I missing something? I mean it's not like they quit making them.
Yes ,I agree, what is up with online auctions :roll:

veeman

Single-Sixer
I haven't one for less than $500 on GB, so if you can find on for that, better grab it.

DGW1949

Hunter
29aholic said:

Nope, you're not missing anything...I've asked myself the same sort of questions while looking around at used Mini-14's. Yeah, you can find plenty of 'em for sale, but when most owners are trying to get as much for an old "pencil barrel" model as a NIB heavier-barrel model cost, one almost has to wonder who is trying to BS who.

On the other hand, I was the winning bidder on a rather nice "walnut 'n blued steel" Remington 1100 off of Gunbroker just this past summer...$285.
Point is that some stuff is priced fair and reasonable, but some stuff aint...and if it aint, I simply won't buy it.

DGW

Ruger45

Blackhawk
There is a lot of wishful thinking and some down right miss guided pricing. But it seems that who was it Barnum that said a sucker born every minute also works on GB. Have you seen some of the prices people are paying for stuff?

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I agree about many of the the listings on gunbroker. Often you find used guns priced higher than new ones. Whether the seller is misinformed or just opportunistic is debatable. Pawn shops in my area of upstate SC have the same affliction. Worn, rusted, buggered up guns are offered at premium prices and the pawn brokers end up with them stacked like cord wood getting more beat up because they don't sell. They too are often ill-informed. A local shop had a decent condition Marlin 39A Mounty priced at $600. I asked if he had any flexibility on the price and he said no it was a "New" gun. When I pointed out the rust on the front sight ramp, the wear on the lever, the dirty bore and breech, and informed him his "New" gun was discontinued 40+ years ago he still insisted it was "New". I said "sure" and left. The gun show this weekend was another example. I saw dozens of "Rare" guns that are actually quite common. Asking price on several "Rare" MKI / Standards from the '70's and '80's was $550 to $600. Go figure.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Ruger45

Blackhawk
powder smoke said:
Dickering is half the fun, many times that is built into the asking price. ps
I am not big on dickering. I expect you put your best price on it. If I like the price I will buy it if I don't I will just walk away. :wink:

dad45

Single-Sixer
Fair deals can be had at GB but they are few and far between, I agree most list high hoping someone doesn't know or maybe they they snag someone who just has to have one for whatever reason, like maybe you can't find one locally or something like that.
The more you watch the more you will notice the same item again and again Just waiting for that unknowing buyer, also the word "rare" is the most often used word on GB and rarely is the item being described actually rare,
Also if you watch close enough there is a small amount of upbidding probly by friends or secondary accounts, you will see an item bid up to an ungodly price only to show right back up at its starting price for another run,
With that said I think most GB sellers are trustworthy, just priced high

My humble opinion

lolbell

Single-Sixer
You can surely over pay for stuff on Gunbroker. I think people get carried away with their bidding or either don't know what they'er bidding on is worth. I've bid on a few guns but won only one auction. There is a nice OM 45c on GB now I would love to have but the bid is already crazy high at $900 and still has 11 hours left.

I imagine when it gets down to the last few minutes bidding will really go crazy and someone will pay about $1200 + shipping + transfer fees. I see no fault in the seller at all. He's selling a product and wants every dime he can get out of the product, but a used OM 45c ain't worth that, to me.

Yes, many of the prices are 'inflated' but that is what the seller hopes to find someone to start the bid and go up from there. I have worked at auctions and can tell you that many people will bid on something because it is ONLY $5.00 more, and do that again and again. Find an item, decide up front the MAXIMUM you will spend for it and NEVER go above that price...period! Gunbroker has supplied me with quite a few good bargains. I will not bid that extra $1.00. Remember it is a buyers market when bidding. If you feel the price of one item is too high then keep looking, one will appear at some point.

MitchSC

Bearcat
It has been my experience that even when I find a good deal nib. By the time I add 3% non-cash, shipping, and xfer fee I can get it locally for the same or less. Sometimes a little more but less hassle. I do use it for as one of my price comparisons.

gasbag

Blackhawk
That's weird.
If I don't like the price of something I don't buy it.
Then I quietly go about my business and wait till I find it at a good price elsewhere.
Oh.......I see the problem.
That was too easy.
Sorry.......... :roll:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
If it is a new gun I am looking for I will order it in at my LGS. I may have to wait but I will give them my business to keep them in business. I have two rifles coming off of GunBroker right now that I am waiting on. What I use GunBroker for is finding guns that I will most likely never see in my LGS.

I just purchased a Remington 540X and a 2013 Clark Custom Shop 10/22. The Clark Custom was an expensive rifle but it was cheaper than one of their new ones and it was made with in the last couple of years Jim Clark was alive. The 540X I gave too much for but they are hard to find especially in really good shape.

So I use GunBroker to get the ones that I will never have a chance to find and if the price is high at least it gives me a chance to own that rifle that I would never find at the LGS. I pay for it but in a few years I will not even worry about the price and I am enjoying that rifle.

Life is too short, unless it is pure robbery, at least you get to enjoy it. I do not buy guns for an investment.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
With patience you can find some great deals on Gunbroker.

I recently got a NIB LCRx for $300. A NIB 9E auction I was watching went for $205. Sometimes a few auctions slip through the cracks and go for way less.

Auctions, whether it be Gunbroker, Ebay etc is all dependent on the bidder. Don't want to pay that price? Then move on and find a better one.

gunzo

Hunter
Two very reasonable FT 44 specials on GB an hour ago. A 4 5/8 for a fixed price of $420, GB #616366190.
And another one that has a few days left on the auction, but has no reserve & starts @ $399, GB#620835417.

There was one more at a good price, but I ain't tellin about it. Decided to watch it for myself. :mrgreen: