WHAT CALIBER RIFLE WILL BE PICKED FOR THE ARMY?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
My guess is something close to 6.5 creedmore. Supposedly the army balisticians are currently enamored with 6.5mm bullets. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a cartridge that's shorter/lighter than the creedmore. The army isn't going to accept something that's significantly heavier than m855. It won't be the grendel though. That one already has the wrong reputation, on top of a few issues inherited from the soviet case when used in an AR platform.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
It is hard for me to believe that it would be the 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7.62x51. The military places a high priority on minimizing weight and size of the individual rounds to increase the number of rounds that can be held in any magazine of a given size, and the total magazines a person can carry. Currently POG's carry a minimum of 210 rounds when outside the wire. For those reasons, I also can't see the 6.5 Grendel being selected.

I also suspect that the military will opt for an entire new platform, and not feel confined to the AR platform, or STANAG magazine standards. The military could use something similar to the 6.8 SPC II, or the 6.5x40mm.

Just my thoughts, I could easily be wrong, and probably am.

Charlie

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Is there an evaluation program in progress to replace the AR/5.56 combination? I can only guess what a change of either rifle or caliber will cost. It would dwarf the current army pistol change over program.

In war, the object is to take more of the enemy out of action than your own. By wounding an enemy, theoretically you take out 3 individuals or so I was taught at Camp Desmond Doss in 1968. The 5.56 does wound, is light weight, so a bunch of ammo can be carried. I don't see the need to spend a lot of money, changing what already works. Now if they want to make shotguns semi auto with the capability of having 2 separate ammo tubes ala Keltec KSG. Then have buckshot in one and grenades in the other for urban use. Go for it!
gramps

Strategists want to take more out by wounding. The guy getting shot at wants as many of the enemy dead as quickly as possible. That improves his chances of survival.

Or as the Old Sarg said "If the enemy is down and not moving shoot them once in the head. If they are down and moving shoot them twice in the head."

There is a corollary to that. "If the enemy is up and moving keep shooting him until he isn't".

tinman

Buckeye
.............sigh.......................just gimme back the M14..............

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Gary Zinn says " If I were going to buy an AR15 rifle for deer hunting, it would be a 6.5 Grendel."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/modern_sporting_rifle.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Grendel

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
sliclee said:
JIMBO what was the question? Nothing about deer hunting, 480 etc.
NO hijack
A rifle that was designed for combat and loaded with a cartridge to kill deer will work very well to kill humans. You can't expect people to talk much about killing people but the inference is there.

To answer your question specifically, nobody knows what cartridge the Army will finally pick, if any. ...but I believe the 6.5 Grendel would work well for the Army.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Which one? If history is any guide, it will be the one that gives them the least bang for the buck. :roll: Just think of how much .22lr ammo you can carry, and who needs anything bigger when you can just call in a drone strike? :roll: :wink:

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I suspect the 6.5 Grendel won't be accepted due to it's linage. Those in the defense contracting business have an acronym for this...NIH (not invented here).

But something like the 22 Nosler necked up to a 6.5 would have a real chance. Just my $0.02 worth.

Ted

grobin

Blackhawk
I agree that the high performance cartridges are out due to the nominal spray and pray training. Hopefully the wound falicy is No longer prevelent. The SPC is out because the decision is political not pragmatic. Assuming that they want to stick with the M16 platform the 300 BLK would be the most likely choice. If they decide on a new platform it will use a new caliber inherently incomparable with th a M16/M4.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
Strategists want to take more out by wounding. The guy getting shot at wants as many of the enemy dead as quickly as possible. That improves his chances of survival.

Or as the Old Sarg said "If the enemy is down and not moving shoot them once in the head. If they are down and moving shoot them twice in the head."

There is a corollary to that. "If the enemy is up and moving keep shooting him until he isn't".

That'a pretty much what I tell the people I hunt with. While I emphasize the desirability of preparation and one-shot kills, I also tell everyone "Shoot until the animal is down and stays that way".

mac66

Single-Sixer
That program to replace the 5.56 was recently canceled and I believe it never really was going to happen, in that it made no sense.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
We would be better off rebuilding our forces and improving existing weaponry than trying to replace a perfectly good caliber infantry weapon. I think that idea prevailed when our armed forces started looking at budgets. The 5.56 provides good service out to 400 yards. Our modern infantry support weapons preclude the need for non-sniper personnel to have more effective range. Special forces units can carry heavier calibers when required.

Obama made a distinct effort to wreck our military capabilities and we have a lot of work to do rebuilding the mess he left.