Went in for a GP100, and walked out with a Blackhawk 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BigJay

Bearcat
I've been doing lots of research lately looking for a (relatively) cheep to shoot 357/38 revolver for general use. I can't carry (yay California!) so that's not a factor, but I can (and would anyway) protect my camp and myself when in the wild. The GP100 on paper looked to fit the bill well, and the reviews read here and elsewhere had me sold.

So I went to my local range/gun shop today to rent it before buying it. This shop is cool in that if you buy a gun you rented first, your range time and rental fees are free, and you get a nice credit toward the purchase. I shot a box of 38 special and came away not blown away, but happy enough to make the purchase. (I have very large hands, and I noticed that when shooting double action the pad of my trigger finger would get caught between the trigger and the frame when fully depressed, pinching it pretty good. It never happened in single action though, so I figured it was just a matter of practice. I also didn't care of the "hump" their rental had in the middle of the double action stroke, but I've heard a good trigger job solves that with little trouble).

I had also brought my Single Six Hunter with me and as usual I had a blast running approx 100 22mag and 100 22lr thru it .

When I asked about buying, they told me they had no GP100's in stock in the 4" barrel! They checked Davidson's for one and they too didn't have any. In fact, they (my gun shop) won't even take deposit money on one because Ruger is so back logged they have no idea when, or if, they'll see another.

Hopes dashed, I started to walk out, but decided to take one last look thru the glass (I know, right? Big mistake...) And wouldn't you know it, sitting there in all its big blue'd 6.5" barreled glory was a brand new Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible (which, according to the shop owner is as rare as Ahab's white whale). Needless to say, that same gun is now in California jail waiting for me to bail it out 10 days from now.

I still dunno how that happened. I went in for a 4" stainless steel double action swing out and I ended up with a 6.5" blued single action loading gate gun! Doh!

And honestly, I couldn't be happier at how things worked out. I really *really* love my SS Hunter, but obviously its no self defense/camp gun. This Blackhawk is, so I'm thinking I scored today despite myself. Can't wait!

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I also found the SA grips too small. And my middle finger was tortured by the trigger guard. Tried a packy rubber grip, (yah, I know) bigger and the twisting trigger guard no longer beat up my finger. 41 mag became a lot easier to shoot. greg

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Yeah, that's how I wound up with my Anniversary Flattop .357. I was actually looking for a 4" GP100 or Smith 686 at the time, but the guy had the Flattop at an irresistable price.

Then I ended up buying two of the flattopped .44 Specials, when they came out.

Still haven't gotten around to buying that GP yet... :lol:

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
<sigh> That's the gun I've been lusting after. I bought a bunch of guns recently and I told myself I have to wait a while, but I am not listening.

That .357/9mm sounds like a great combo.

I'm kinda glad to hear it cramps your hands a bit because mine are rather small and I was a bit worried lol:

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it and I'd love to hear a range report.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Congrats on your Blackhawk. I have a convertable 357/9mm too. I love it. Best all around revolver I have. I have a GP100 too but if I had my choice between the two for a first purchase it would be the Blackhawk.
You can always get a GP100 later like I did.
Regards,
Howard

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I think you ended up with what will be a better fit for what you intend it to do. and as you say it's a platform you are used to and you don't need a trigger job and most important RUGER BLACK HAWKS ARE COOL no matter what caliber. I'm willing to bet money this is just the start of the addiction :lol:

Hugh

Buckeye
You may have made a good choice. I have a 1979 vintage .357 New Model Blackhawk with 6-1/2" barrel. I am very happy with it. Great for field carry. What ever you want to feed it is ok.

BigJay

Bearcat
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm really looking forward to picking it up. I've been checking out different holster options and I have a question? Why do some have the butt facing rearward (as I would expect) and other have it facing forward? They're not advertised as cross draw holsters, so I'm confused as to why. Is it a quicker draw to turn your palm outward before grabbing the butt, then turn clockwise (as a righty) as you extend toward the target?

Thanks again (and in advance)!