Weird Combo on my new 10/22Combo on my new 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugershoe

Bearcat
I just purchased a 10/22 in a combo I can't seem to find anywhere. It is catalog No. K10/22RB. The box confirms it is a stainless model. However, while the receiver/trigger assembly is stainless, the barrel is blued. It came with a black synthetic stock. It was initially sold to a Ruger employee as a trade show/magazine review gun and is as NIB.

Does anybody know anything about this combination? I am not sure if I am going to keep it or give it to my son as a B-day gift. Knowing more may help me make a decision. Heck, if the answer is it is your basic 10/22 (which it essentially is), it may even be a donor for a project.

Any help will be appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
If it was used as a demo gun,,, show gun etc,,, the serial number should have a marking of a "U" or a "*" or something denoting it's a used gun.
Do you have the factory info on it being used as such?
It's also possible someone else has already "modified" it after it left the factory.

Rugershoe

Bearcat
Ruger stamped the box "USED FIREARM". I know the retired employee and that is how he explains a pretty extensive collection of such guns. If it was modified (something I have considered given my lack of luck), then it was done by Ruger. He is unable to explain the combination. The reason he bought this one from storage was because of the configuration. Interesting if nothing else.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
A Ruger gun, picked out of storage, in a unique configuration, with box marked "Used Firearm", by a Ruger employee that specifically collects factory used guns? WOW!!!

Word of mouth does not make provenance. Ask seller (as a Ruger employee) to write a short note to this effect and possibly provide his bill of sale from company.

Donor gun? If you go that way tell me what parts you want and I'll supply them (as a gun) and you send me the oddball one. With note from employee of course.

SATCOM

Rugershoe

Bearcat
SATCOM

I can't help but bask in the oozing sarcasm there. I was just trying to give the information I have, thinking those with years of knowledge and experience here might latch onto something I may not think is significant.

I am not thinking this combo turns a $200 gun into a $1,000 gun. It may just be a 2004 10/22 that someone at Ruger thought might look interesting at a show display. I have purchased other "Used" guns from the same person, who I trust implicitly, and they end up being NIB, perfect examples of whatever they are. I expect nothing else here. Truth be told, I do not like the synthetic stock, but these 10/22's are so cheap it doesn't really matter. I will likely only keep the stock on it if someone says I really should keep it together as an anomaly.

Anyone have a 2004 Ruger catalog by chance?

Rugershoe

Bearcat
I found the catalog. While the serial number makes it a 2004, there is no exact match of the catalog number.

hittman

Staff member
What is the Model Number?
Which synthetic stock? Full butt or skeleton?

Maybe send a PM to member Chet15 too and/or subscribe to his RENE.

Welcome to the Forum.

Rugershoe

Bearcat
Thanks for the referral. Model number was in the 1st post but does not show up in the 2004 catalog.

hittman

Staff member
Rugershoe said:
Model number was in the 1st post.......

I'm not looking for the K10/xxx number. The box end label should have another number.

contender

Ruger Guru
A letter from Ruger is about the only way to determine such stuff,,, IF,,, IF,,, the serial doesn't have a marking denoting it as used. Boxes can be marked,, and the wrong gun can be inside them.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Rugershoe,

NO! I was serious. That would be a great gun to add to a collection, especially mine.

I was in no way trying to belittle, offend, or making a derogatory comment on your gun.

I am sorry if my comment could have been interpreted in a negative way. It was not meant to be anything but a positive comment on your gun.

SATCOM

Rugershoe

Bearcat
hitman: Model 01134 (below says stainless)

SATCOM: Thank you for clarifying. There are a couple car related Forums I use, and there are those who waste everyone's time showing how a newbie's question illustrates how dumb he is. I do not physically have the gun yet but will check on the add-on to the serial number as noted by Ruger Guru. The revolvers I got the same way do not have altered serial numbers.

I will check with the person I go these form regarding a note, but like many of us he is a very private person, so it may not be an appropriate request.

Thanks for the help, all -- these Forums are full of a wealth of information.

Rugershoe

Bearcat
I do not have pics stored except on my hard drive. We can't attach or cut/paste can we?

hittman

Staff member
Rugershoe said:
hitman: Model 01134 (below says stainless)

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/item-gone-ft-ruger-10-22-zytel-skeleton-stock-stainless-bnib.1149029/

Rugershoe
I have numerous similar guns purchased out of the factory, all are one offs or very limited production guns, they are samples, show guns or potential distributor exclusives. Usually the gun has a unique model # (not catalog number), but not always. The boxes are usually marked "used gun" or UGB stamped....

I am sure your gun is as your friend says it is, ruger may or may not be able (willing) to confirm with a factory letter...

Enjoy the gun....and thanks for sharing the info with us.

And welcome to the forum.

Latest posts