Video of SP-101 back from Gemini Customs - sharp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RME

Blackhawk
Good video of SP-101 back from Gemini Customs. Not mine.

http://youtu.be/pmogw_rW_14

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=200383

Gemini is NOT cheap, but the work is amazing!

Mus408

Hunter
What is the reason for porting on that caliber sized gun,other than being a nice detail?
I know it helps reduce recoil but doesn't it reduce the velocity of the bullet and also add to the blast
around the gun?

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
What is the reason for porting on that caliber sized gun,other than being a nice detail?
I know it helps reduce recoil but doesn't it reduce the velocity of the bullet and also add to the blast
around the gun?

I sure don't get it. I think it might be better on a range to reduce recoil, but on a snub carry revolver? ....I don't get it. Unless you're shooting arms straight out you might just get a hell of a blast in your own face during a bad situation. How it wouldn't reduce velocity is beyond me.

I can tell you this, that guy spent a small fortune with the full-boat ride Gemini gave that SP101. I'd guess he's easily at $1000+ in mods.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Yeah...that's gorgeous! I can understand the desire for the porting (BTW, it typically doesn't reduce velocity as much as people think). Porting is great...but at typical self-defense ranges you might well find yourself shooting "from retention" as the IDPA guys put it...i.e. with your arm in close to the body immediately after a draw...and in that situation porting might not be such a good thing. Better to shoot ammo you can handle without porting, I think...

I'd thought about getting a small pistol in .40 and having it ported...until the first time I shot my LCP9s "from retention" and realized how up-close-and-personal the blast is even without porting and from a little 9mm...it really surprised me. I've been shooting for years, including a lot of steel plate stuff and what have you, using ported guns...but that was my first experience shooting basically from just in front of my own belly...