Velocity froma 9.5" Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

E

Single-Sixer
Joined
Aug 1, 2006
Messages
130
Location
Saint Charles, MO, USA
Anybody know about how much velocity is generated by a 22 magnum in a 9.5" Single Six? I'm curious to see where the velocity falls when compared to a 6.5" barrel or going to a rifle barrel (19-20" or so).
 

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Joined
Nov 1, 2001
Messages
320
Location
1881 Ranch, Nv & Northern Ca
I am interested in this as well. Sadly, I've never had access to a 9 1/2" SS to chronograph the loads.

Just as food for thought I did chronograph the following:

PMC Predator 40 gr Lead point
Taurus M72 ...... 16.5" barrel ... 1768 fps
NAA 22 MiniMag. 1.5" barrel ... 841 fps
Ruger Single Six. 4 5/8 barrel .. 1227 fps

The Single Six vs the Taurus Carbine velocities amazed me!
 

americal

Hunter
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
2,174
Location
Alabama, Athens
The 9.5 barrel has always seemed to be best length for me with Ruger 22 & 22mag. single actions :) just my opinion :wink: even the Ruger Charger with it's 10" barrel is very accurate :!: Just do not know about muzzle exit speed :?
 

flatgate

Hawkeye
Joined
Jun 18, 2001
Messages
6,784
Location
Star Valley, WY
WIL TERRY":9kgyu84p said:
I do not have a 9 1/2" 22MAG barrel to chrongraph but my 7 1/2" SUPER SINGLE SIX will hit 1700fps with some 22MAG loads and 1500 with any of 'em.

Really? Ruger's never catalogued a 7-1/2" .22 Revolver, Will..... :D
You MUST mean a 6-1/2", eh?

flatgate
 

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Joined
Jun 8, 2003
Messages
1,973
Location
Single Chute, SD USA
flatgate":1jnmh8cq said:
WIL TERRY":1jnmh8cq said:
I do not have a 9 1/2" 22MAG barrel to chrongraph but my 7 1/2" SUPER SINGLE SIX will hit 1700fps with some 22MAG loads and 1500 with any of 'em.

Really? Ruger's never catalogued a 7-1/2" .22 Revolver, Will..... :D
You MUST mean a 6-1/2", eh?

flatgate
NO, I can still count to 7 1/2" even in my advanced dotage. I do have a 6 1/2" for comparison though....actually several now that I think on it.
 

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
3,190
Location
51st state of Jefferson
Old Judge Creek":3qc6qghr said:
I am interested in this as well. Sadly, I've never had access to a 9 1/2" SS to chronograph the loads.

Just as food for thought I did chronograph the following:

PMC Predator 40 gr Lead point
Taurus M72 ...... 16.5" barrel ... 1768 fps
NAA 22 MiniMag. 1.5" barrel ... 841 fps
Ruger Single Six. 4 5/8 barrel .. 1227 fps

The Single Six vs the Taurus Carbine velocities amazed me!
Ruger OMSS6......6.5" barrel.....1310 fps :wink:
22WM001.jpg
 

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
3,190
Location
51st state of Jefferson
High Standard WMR Derringer....3.5" barrels.....1,020 fps I'd estimate from Judge Creek and my velocities with the same load, that a 9.5" should go about 1450-1500 fps?....Hopefully by this summer I'll have a 9.5" on my NMSS6 and can say exactly....FWIW, Dennis (BTW, the 3.5" Derringer barrels include chambers of course, and no B/C gap)
 

Cholo

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
5,784
Location
Georgia
I remember the 7 1/2" Super Single Six Wil Terry's talking about and it's not a Hunter, if it's the same one. Sure would like the pleasure of shooting that little gem if I was ever out his way...
 

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Joined
Jun 8, 2003
Messages
1,973
Location
Single Chute, SD USA
Cholo":3njdrend said:
I remember the 7 1/2" Super Single Six Wil Terry's talking about and it's not a Hunter, if it's the same one. Sure would like the pleasure of shooting that little gem if I was ever out his way...

YEP, It is the same one for sure, straight from the loving hands of The Pistolsmith To GOD, Hamilton Bowen. It still shoots like ten million bucks with any kind of 22LR or 22MAG ammo, and still cranks bigtime numbers from that tight target grade barrel. I had it over to Idaho where me 'n the Boise Flash himself put 6000 rounds downrange in a bunch of sixguns including my Single Sixes in 4 5/8" [ a flattop], 5 1/2", 6 1/2", 7 1/2", and in 9 1/2",[ another flattop ]. John had never seen a Single Six Flattop in 4 5/8" let alone ever fired one. He was grinnin' like the Chesire cat too !!! All we shot were fist sized or smaller stones on the range out to 50 or 70 yards and if we did our part those guns never missed. We turned a ton of stones into a a ton of gravel.
C'mon out here and you will get the grand tour of all with YEST as your tour guide. You'll see the badlands from the back door which no one else sees, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, and shooting all you want in the Black Hills. And, do NOT forget an all expenses paid tour of FIRST STOP GUN in beeyooteeful downtown RCSD.
 

Latest posts

Top