Vaquero Reblue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seldomseen

Bearcat
I have a pair of 15 year old Vaqueros that are losing their luster from years of drawing and shooting. I have never cared for the fake chemical case coloring so I think I will give the girls a new pair of shoes with complete reblue jobs.

Is there any special issues or problems with rebluing old Vaqueros? The cylinder on one of them has turned a nice plum purple after it was reblued years and years ago.

flatgate

Hawkeye
No problem. I'm not sure how to remove the Factory's "case color" job, though..... but I bet someone here will know.

flatgate

just buff and polish.....
here's one we did years ago...........

bnvb-44w55-58653.jpg

its setting on an 'anniversary' box for this picture..............

Flash

Buckeye
Not a very good pic but here's mine. I bought it a few years back and had heard that the former owner used brake cleaner to remove the cheap case color. It's a rich, shiny blue now

018.jpg

Seldomseen

Bearcat
Thank you for the pictures. I was concerned that the cast and forged metal would be dissimiliar for the bluing process.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Seldomseen said:
Thank you for the pictures. I was concerned that the cast and forged metal would be dissimiliar for the bluing process.

Hmm, same 4140 steel that's used on Ruger's all blue Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, etc.

flatgate