Use Ruger #1 in 45-70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
My local Gander Mtn. has a #1 in 45-70 (used) for sale. It has a schnabel (sic?) foreend, no scope but what appears to be the factory rings, with a Magna Ported barrel. They are asking 799.. The gun is in excellent condition. What would the going good price for one be? I Have been thinking about one of these for a while, but the pocket book isnt so hot right now...
Thanks

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Rings are easily bought elsewhere for just a little $. The ported bbl thing to me is a big no-no on that gun and surely a deal-breaker were I looking. The price IMO, is also high. The porting doesn't necessarily add value unless it's what the buyer wants. Would certainly remove a lot for me. I'd give $600 maybe but not likely. Should be able to find an untouched used one for less.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
If the Magna-port was done without removing the front sight it's not a deal breaker for me. However, it does take a way from the originality of the rifle.

I do believe the price to be a bit high unless it has above average wood. No.1Ss in .45-70 are commonly on the market.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Local Scheels had one for $549 (if I remember correctly) a couple of months ago, it's gone now. I love mine, bought it at the same store maybe 8 years ago for $399. Are you sure the forend is a schnabel? It should be an Alexander Henry if it's a 1S. The Henry forend has two thin pencil size cuts in it, towards the front, for use with shooting sticks. The ports would turn me off of it.

TDF

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I looked at this rifle a while back myself. The three things that made me put it back without losing any sleep:

1. The ported barrel - well done, but not wanted or needed on a low intensity, low pressure round like this
2. The stock has been cut and the Ruger pad refitted
3. It was a very late gun (134- prefix) and I'm looking for any early one

Whoever had this, was obviously recoil shy, and should have bought a 243 or similar gun (maybe he did ;-) )

Fire that rifle once with factory loads and you will understand why the porting. Not that it helps all that much, and it will certainly get the attention of other shooters on a firing line. I'm with the "other guy;" my .45-70 "miraculously became a .250-3000"....the other "recoiless rifle"!

c.robertson

Bearcat
Well, I just bought 2 Ruger #1's in .45-70. A Ruger/Lyman Centinniel and a Ruger 50 year anniversary. Wanted the long barrel and all the pretty gold inlay.
I have shot only 13 (8&5) rounds of '1873' cast loads through them and all indications, at least with the anniversary model, with 'real' loads it will be a kicker. Oh well. Got to get used to it or get the 'h' outta Dodge. LOL
Just can't see wussing out from a little recoil. And NO, I do not use a wuss pad. Can't wait for warmer weather to shoot some 'REAL' loads in them.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
The Number 1 or Number 3 for that matter with factory 45-70 loads isnt much of a kicker at all. Load some 400-450-500 grain Ruger Only loads and THAT will change. In my experience there is absolutely no reason to port a Number 1 in 45-70.

Well, maybe if you're a 105 pound little girl who bruises easily.
;)

I agree with the mob on porting a 45-70...not needed and adds noise to the shooting event. I picked up a blue #1 in 45-70 about 3-4 years ago on Gun Broker that had less than a box of ammo through it. As the story goes, the dealer sold it to a new hunter. He fired it a couple times with Remington factory ammo and reported it kicked too much. Had the dealer install a limbsaver recoil pad...still kicked too much. Swapped it with the dealer for a 30-06 (hmm, let's discuss recoil), then I won it on auction.

I love it! It has been my hunting rifle since for the PA backwoods. Recoil is moderate but very controllable. I started with 405gr bullets at "Ruger/Modern Rifle" power levels. Fun, but abusive. I'm now settled in at 1400fps. I've been watching for Stainless 45-70's for the inclimate weather days afield. Found one currently on Gun Broker, but it is magnaported....no bid from me.

Latest posts