Two old rimfires, one permit.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Here in NJ we have to deal with a nonsense permit system to buy handguns. I have one permit left and the shop I go to has two (I think) great choices to use it on. What do you think?
Option one is a Standard with Red Eagle grips. Serial is 75xx. I left my RENE guide at home but Im not sure if these were supposed to have a silver bolt or not, which this one does. The blueing is thin but doesnt look abused. Under $300.
Option 2 is a flat gate single six. Serial is 27xx. It has the serrated ejector button and there is a hyphen. I cant remember if the front sight was serrated. The blueing looks good. Under $400.
There is an option 3 which is a MK2 Government Target marked gun. I already have a MK2 target but not marked as such.
Im leaning towards the revolver because thats what I seem to be drawn to lately, but I have never come across a Red Eagle grip gun before and think it might be something special. Any thoughts?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
It would be between the std auto and the flat gate SS. Of the two, I would be inclined to pick the std auto with the red inserts. Early piece. Not common, if all correct and I mean are the grips correct? Does
it have the correct magazine and early rear sight? your description makes it sound so. But an all correct flat gate is not common either. Photos would be great, if you could. Condition would play a big part. Both would be great to acquire; can you obtain another permit? Helping you make a choice would be near to helping you to choose a wife. What to do?

Good luck. More information.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Because of my experience with my recently acquired Single-Ten, I would go with the Single-Six (if I did not already have the Ten, but somehow knew beforehand how much fun it is). That is, ONLY if the Single-Six is a .22 LR only. The .22 Mag is a cure looking for a problem, which doesn't exist, considering how useless the .22 Mag is in a revolver (it was invented for rifles). I already have a superb Mark 1, and you have a Mark 2, so that's covered.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I can and probably will hold the other one. Problem with that is I am not disciplined enough to stop putting them on hold. I already have at least 3 others waiting....I have a problem with Rugers. They are like potato chips but worse.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
But!!!! spending your money on Rugers is much better than in chips. Eat the chip, what do you have/get? The Ruger is forever unless you sell it...and you don't have to worry about the Ruger turning into dung which, for the most part, is worthless.

Let us know your decision, please.

RSIno1

Hunter
Wife needs to get a permit too. I lean toward the Std but would check the book to see which is rarer and less likely to pop up again.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
woodsy said:
Because of my experience with my recently acquired Single-Ten, I would go with the Single-Six (if I did not already have the Ten, but somehow knew beforehand how much fun it is). That is, ONLY if the Single-Six is a .22 LR only. The .22 Mag is a cure looking for a problem, which doesn't exist, considering how useless the .22 Mag is in a revolver (it was invented for rifles). I already have a superb Mark 1, and you have a Mark 2, so that's covered.

You won't find a flatgate in 22 Mag.

You won't take down rock chucks and some other varmints/game reliably, especially at distance with 22LR but you can with a single six 22Mag. That's the problem the 22 mag cures.

And anyone who thinks a .22 WRM is a puny handgun round needs to talk to a few big city trauma docs or EMTs. You will likely hear some very bad language....I have.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
I think I'd move to a state that is more gun friendly and buy both of them. We have room up here if you're up for a change. Just can't wrap my head around a permit system! A man should be able to have as many firearms as he sees fit. Not attempting to get political but holy crap!

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,, buy one,, and put the hold on the other one. Get another permit,, and get it as well.

Doug,, I TRULY understand your feelings. I live in NC,, where,, if you wish to buy a handgun,, it USED to be that the only way a FFL could sell you one,, was to go to your home County Sheriff Dept, and get a "Pistol Purchasing Permit." It was good for any handgun, cost $5, and nothing on it about what you were buying. Each County Sheriff had the say-so as to the expiration date on the permit. It could be as little as 30 days, to as much as 5 years. That law was passed during the "Jim Crow" era,,, to PREVENT black people from buying guns. It allows a Sheriff the ability to deny anybody he doesn't like the legal method of buying a handgun. Rifles & shotguns were different.
Then, along came the Instant Check system, as well as CCW.
Well, NOW,, we STILL have the permit system, (the Sheriff's didn't want to give up "control") as well as the instant check for long guns. BUT,, a person can get a CCW,, and a permit requirement is waived.
With a CCW,,, no waiting, just fill out the 4473, and go home with the handgun. If you have a longgun purchase,, and the call in is delayed,, a CCW can still be used for that as an approval. In fact,, a lot of long gun buyers use CCW as a convenience.

But each & every state has their own laws concerning the transfer of firearms,, especially handguns.

And OFTEN,, in the states where it's harder to buy a handgun,, some real jewels pop up for sale,, as the previous owner has to use a FFL to dispose of guns,, or in many cases, it's easier to sell to a FFL than an individual.
So, moving to a more gun friendly state doesn't always get you the buying opportunities like he has mentioned.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Buy the Flatgate. I have a 1954 model. Very accurate. I don't shoot it much, but it looks great in a 5.5" Bianchi Practical holster! I carry it mushroom hunting in snake country.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Yeah I look forward to the day I can move out of here. Under 10 years now until retirement. For now I deal with the major inconvenience. The permit system is ridiculous. 2 references needed, permits are only good for 180 days IF you get it extended for the second 90 days, and we can only buy one every 30 days. But it must be good because there's no crime in NJ. Right?
We do get some gems in the stores though. I love when an obvious non gun person walks in the store with an old dusty case or wrapped up blanket. You never know what's inside that they found cleaning out an attic or their deceased parents house. It's like Christmas morning. And the local shop knows me as the nutty Ruger guy so I get a heads up when one comes in.
Speaking of which, I am opting for the flat gate. Both was going to happen until I got a chance at a 44 carbine that I can put on the same 4473 and save myself a second nics check which cost $16 here.