Twist rate and heavier bullets for the 270 Win

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Balto

Bearcat
I`m thinking about trying out the 160 gr Nosler P for hunting in the timber, for wild bore to be exact.
M y Ruger # 1 has a 1:10 twist rate, as most 270`s. According to the Barnes reloading manual the 150 gr Barnes needs a 1:9,5 or faster twist.

What about the Nosler P 160 gr ??? Will it do well with a 1:10 twist rate ? Thought about trying the 150 gr Barnes also, but i`m not sure, as long as the reloading manual don`t recommend it.

I`ve used 130 and 140 grain bullets from different manfacturers, but I would like to try some of the heavier to.

Dave King

Bearcat
It is length moreso than weight when determining the necessary twist. The Barnes are probably bronze/brass alloy and therefore longer than a copper/lead cup style bullet (Nosler Partition). A 160 Nosler is probably shorter in length than a 150 Barnes. The old GreenHill formula is more for lead-copper than lightweight alloy.

My guess if that the Nosler 160's will be fine with a full power load in your 270.

(YMMV I could be completely wrong... but probably not.)

Vecco

Single-Sixer
Your bullet weight VS twist is more often a function of Range, Long Range. So if you are Brush Busting, under 100 yds it should make little differance.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
The 1:10 twist will handle a 160 gr just fine IMO. I have an old M-70 that groups the old RN 170 gr Speer into less than 2" which is plenty accurate for conditions that you'd use a heavy bullet for, eg moose in the timber. That said, a dozen moose were killed cleanly by my dad with 130 and 150 gr Noslers spitzers in that same .270....(And long range accy/trajectory will be better with them IMO..) The .270 made it's great reputation with the 130 gr and I think it needs no other projectile if the bullet is a good one. Jack O'Connor was right! :wink:

MADISON

Single-Sixer
The old Speer manual #8 listed a Speer 160 grain bullet.
I bought and loaded some of these round nose bullets.
Believe it or not, they shot more accurately thin the other bullets on the market.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
MADISON":2i9fsy5m said:
The old Speer manual #8 listed a Speer 160 grain bullet.
I bought and loaded some of these round nose bullets.
Believe it or not, they shot more accurately thin the other bullets on the market.

I have an old Nosler manual (#2) that also lists loads for their own 160 grain "partitions" in a .270 with a 1-10" twist. I think you'll be fine with using 160 grain Noslers in your .270 Balto. I think Dave King probably has it - those Barnes bullets are probably longer, and that's why Barnes is saying they need a faster twist rate.