"Twin" 500 Maximums from JRH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
Here are non-identical twin .500 Linebaugh Maximums from Jack Huntington.

The blue model was a project started by fellow forum member smvmarine that I picked up before it left Jack's shop. He lives nearby so hope he can drop by someday to try it out.

The silver model was an Aggie01 project, if my memory is correct, that came out of the Southern Vortex by way of Axehandle. Have to wait until Friday to shot this one because I have a couple of playing (& paying!) bluegrass gigs between now and then and can't afford to mess up a wrist. Paying bluegrass gigs are a rarity - ask any BG picker; gotta make allowances.

Brass came from WildWillAlaska, both Ben Forkin cut down 50 Alaskan and real Hornady 500 Maximum.

Now I just need to solve my crimp jumping issue and find some AA1680 powder.

Thanks to Shannon, Stan, John, Will and of course Jack for these beautiful guns and brass.

Tim

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Make sure when you show folks that silver one you direct them to the wikipedia page for the .500 Linebaugh Maximum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_Maximum

I used a CH-4D die set and had crimp jump issues until I bought a set of hornady .500 L dies and used them for crimping.

princeout

Blackhawk
Aggie01 said:
Make sure when you show folks that silver one you direct them to the wikipedia page for the .500 Linebaugh Maximum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_Maximum

Gee! I didn't know it was famous!

Aggie01 said:
I used a CH-4D die set and had crimp jump issues until I bought a set of hornady .500 L dies and used them for crimping.

John, I started off with the Hornady dies with poor results, then borrowed Axe's CH4D's, probably your old ones, with slightly different results. Finally ended up modifying a Lee Factory Crimp Die for a .50 Alaskan with what looks like success. The first ten rounds worked. Have to wait for a bit of healing time to try again.
Thanks,
Tim