Traded into a blued Speed Six snub 2 wks ago

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ginzo (and everyone else), DO NOT use standard steel wool on a stainless steel gun. It can leave minute particles of the wool on/in the gun and it will rust. If using something other than a Scotchbrite or other non metal pad only use stainless steel wool.

bogus bill

Hunter
They issued 4" stainless speed sixs to us when I was a lockheed guard. I also had 4" colt official police and smith 586`s. The ruger felt the best of them in the hand due to that rounded grip.
I did like the colt due to the lightest weight to pack but with the service grips they didnt feel as good in the hand. The smiths with the target stocks and being the heaviest of the three I generally didnt care to pack although I own a batch. When you wear one 12 to 16 hour shifts you want light. I have ownes antique colts 1877 and 1878 models and those birds head grips were similar feeling.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the update, I am using cotton tee shirts.

I found some "holland" metal polish. I took a piece of copper tubing as a test and was impressed, so I removed the grips and have tested a small area under them and it looks good. I don't know if I will continue with he rest of the gun. I don't want to remove any value by creating a mirror finish , although it is tempting.

I also ordered a "bobbed" hammer from Numrich, and am awaiting it's arrival. I noticed some rub marks on the existing hammer and found a place that makes hammer shims, so I may look into that.

Happy New Year,

Chuck

RoninPA said:
ginzo (and everyone else), DO NOT use standard steel wool on a stainless steel gun. It can leave minute particles of the wool on/in the gun and it will rust. If using something other than a Scotchbrite or other non metal pad only use stainless steel wool.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Well you have done more to yours than I have to mine (3" stainless police service six) which I picked up Christmas Eve (there is a post about it in this section (Merry Christmas to Me). Anyway, thanks to a forum member here, I have secured a set of round butt factory grips for it. I think I will look for a red insert front sight and a Tyler grip adapter. I will need a couple of speed chargers and a left-hand holster for it (right now, I just stuff it in my pocket). Later on, if I can swing it, perhaps a set of Grashorn sheep or elk horn grips. I really like this revolver and cannot see myself getting rid of it. After seeing what you have done to yours, I am more sure of keeping mine - thanks. TD

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
How hard is it to put a spur-less hammer into a speed-six? Could it throw the timing off or cause problems that made me sorry?

I like the look of the hammer-less Speed-Six. Hopefully it's more or less a drop- in switch. Any suggestions I would appreciate much.

Absolutely love the look of what you have done with yours, Erich!

Numrich is the place to get the spur-less hammer, yes?

Flatbush

Flatbush,
The spurless hammer should be a direct replacement, nothing more that checking it out, remove the grips, take the hammer spring out, remove the hammer pivot pin, take the old hammer out, put the new one in, replace the pivot pin and hammer spring and replace the grips.

Now, when you get the "new" hammer, check it to see if it has the SA notch or not. If it does, use a hard stone to clean it up to make sure it is square and has nice square angles. If it does have the notch you can still shoot it in the SA mode, you just have to start it with the trigger until you can grab the top with your thumb to cock it the rest of the way.

If it doesn't have the notch, then you have to fire everything DAO.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Fellas- I am on the Numrich site. I don't exactly know which part to order. Is it
1160830 Hammer, blued spurless
OR
222680 Hammer stainless spurless

Or none of the above
Looking at Erich's revolver, his spurless hammer appears stainless. 222680, is that the part I would need in theory to perform the same changes to my Speed Six?
I really like the contrast of the stainless hammer and the Stainless Tyler T grip.
Is the Tyler T the brushed aluminum or the polished aluminum?

Thanks

The difference in the blued versus the stainless is that the top surface is blued and the sides are polished. The stainless is just the stainless top and sides. Personally, unless I am refurbishing a Six back to it's original configuration, I like the stainless.

You can get the Tyler T in either brushed or polished aluminum and in black. They offer bronze also but I think they are out of stock. Go here to see and order: http://www.t-grips.com/

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Thanks Ron. As I have said before, I am a great admirer of your restoration projects.
Thanks for your help sir.

jframe

Bearcat
Flatbush, sounds like we're building the same gun. :D My stainless, spurless hammer is in the mail from Numrich as we speak. If any of you guys get a Tyler T grip from Tyler in a timely fashion with no hassle, I'd love to know about it.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
My spurless hammer is NOT in the mail yet, although, they haven't charged my card yet. It is going on this gun:

jframe said:
Flatbush, sounds like we're building the same gun. :D My stainless, spurless hammer is in the mail from Numrich as we speak. If any of you guys get a Tyler T grip from Tyler in a timely fashion with no hassle, I'd love to know about it.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
I plan on calling Numrich tomorrow. Not exactly sure whether or not I will go spur less on a blue 38 Speed Six or a stainless Service Six (both snubbies). Although the blue Speed Six would look cool like Erich's, I have never fired it and have no plans to do so. The stainless Service Six I shoot regularly and I'll probably "do the deed" to that one first.

Erich's blue revolver with the aluminum Tyler T's just knocks me out. Thanks to him for giving me the idea! On a side note, I am not quite sure whether to order the "Brushed or Polished" aluminum Tyler T grip.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Question please, can a GP100 be made spur less in the same way? It seems not. Numrich never seemed to offer a spur less hammer for the GP100, only part #288240 a spurred hammer that is both sold out and states"normally factory fitted".

I'd kinda like to see a 3" GP100 configured in the same spur less manner. I would not want to grind the spur off though.

Maybe it's just a silly idea, but...

There are GP's that had spurless hammers (the GPNY's - GP's that were sold to the NYCPD) so if you can't find one at Numrich, you could call Ruger and see what they might do for you. IIRC, they probably won't sell you one, they would want the gun sent to them to have it installed by them, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Latest posts