Too much scope for a 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had a great little '22' scope on the 10-22 that burned last year. It was a Sightron 2.5 or 2.75 x 32 and was plenty for a general purpose/hunting 22 rimfire. Certainly not a long ranger but easily allowed 'minute of critter' up to 100 yards.

gunzo

Hunter
This is a 6.5-20, & the gun might wind up with a 36X on it, but it's only shot off a bi-pod. My sporter weight 10/22AW has a 2-7 compact on it & I was hesitant that it might screw up the handling. But it's good to go.

s4s4u

Hunter
Most centerfire scope have parallax set @ 100 yrds, and those that have adjusable parallax don't focus close enough for typical rimfire shooting distances. I put rimfire scopes on my rimfires because I don't shoot the distances I do with my centerfires. The parallax focuses from 10 yards to ∞.

As Contender stated how is the rifle going to be used? F-class / Benchrest competition high magnification is needed. General plinking and hunting 2-4.5x 25mm variable is more than adequate. BTW NRA/CMP Service Rifle Competition limits the scope to 2-4.5x25mm. This competition extends from 200 yards to 600 yards. 22LR accuracy deteriorates after 125 yards, most folks don't "recreate" more than 50 yards.

Funky

Bearcat
It is Your rifle, and Your decision what to do with it and if you want to put a 40X riflescope on it, and that makes You happy, Do It. It is nobodies else business and You do not have to answer to anyone for what You did. So what if You decide to change up things later, that is how all of us gain Experience. Good Luck and Merry Christmas Chris

While I agree with Funky that it's no one's business. BUT, he asked for opinions and maybe the opinions given saved him time and money. If he wants a gold plated 40x scope because to him it's crazy looking on a 10-22. Good for him.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
A rifle used for serious plinking and target shooting, especially at wildly various ranges is fine with a more powerful, adjustable-objective beastie with lots of elevation adjustment available. I also favor a scope like this for determining what the best ammo is in a rifle prior to putting more modest glass on it. I just got a 6-24X50mm with a 34mm tube as a tool for load development and rimfire ammo testing. I just put Pic rails on everything so it swaps from one gun to another with a couple turns of the wrench.
That's a good point, and would argue for buying both scopes. Only problem is that my time and patience for shooting the rifles off a bench may be too limited to sort out which of my two 10/22s is really better, if there is any measurable difference.

I ordered the Leupold, and a Leupold base and QD rings Monday night (birthday present to myself since I didn't get any firearms stuff for Christmas or my birthday (same date)).

Like an idiot, I forgot to order a second base for the other rifle, but I also don't own a bipod so I might buy one of those as well in a second order soon. If I'm lucky/foolish, I'll have a couple of shots of liquid courage first and get the Vortex as well to comply with your advice!

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Buy it. Ruger 10-22s are surprisingly accurate. This group was only shot at 25 yards but only balanced on the front rest. Wish I had a rear bag with me to see what it could really do.

Scope is a Simmons 8 X 34 AO. Not the best glass but it sure makes this gun rock.

Attachments

• Best.jpeg
    Best.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Ruger 10 22 from Glenn.jpeg
    Ruger 10 22 from Glenn.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 24