Time to get the file out...?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Went to the range with an OMBH FT (1967 vintage) and a NMBH FT (2005 Anniversary) 357 Mag, both with 4 5/8" barrels. OM shot to point of aim with rear sight slightly elevated. Mild load. Had to crank the rear sight on the NM almost to top in order to hit same spot on target, same load.
Got the micrometer out:
OM barrel: .700 diameter
NM barrel: .729 diameter
OM front sight: .396
NM front sight: .497
Distance from center of barrel (.350 for OM, .365 for NM) to top of front sight;
OM = .746
NM = .862 or .116 higher.
Comments, suggestions, other than the file trick.

contender

Ruger Guru
While it's a time honored method of filing the front sight,,, I'm a bigger fan of experimenting with different loads to be sure of what I want to do before I do something to a gun that is not reversible,,, or easily reversible. Maybe a different load, or even look around to see if anybody offers a replaceable rear sight blade that is "taller" to replace the original one.
Just a few ideas, thinking out loud.

DGW1949

Hunter
I've never had a problem with filing/lowering a front sight when needed, but I'm a one gun-one load sort of guy.

DGW

5of7

Hunter
I would first remove the leaf from the rear sight and measure it for height.
Then see of you can buy another leaf that is a little higher.
That should mitigate the situation enough that you would not need to use all of the adjustment to get it to shoot POA. 8)

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I guess I am not aware of anybody making different rear sight blades of different heights. I am more of a mid-range load person so don't need to do a lot of shooting with various bullet weights or velocities. So will probably get the file out. Not sure why Ruger would have such a difference with front sights. Had the same issue between an OMBH short barrel 45 Colt and a NMBH with same barrel length. Over a 10th of an inch higher sight on the NM vs the OM. File and some cold blue took care of that issue.

5of7

Hunter
You can buy rear sight blades on ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsight+blade+blackhawk.TRS0&_nkw=sight+blade+blackhawk&_sacat=0

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Personally, I shoot the load I want and make the gun shoot THAT load, not vice versa. If it needs filing.....file it

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a USFA 327 Mag/32 WCF convertible that shot way low at 50 feet. Had no other gun in same caliber to compare, like here, so I used my high school trig to calculate how much to take off the front sight to raise point of impact at 50 feet. It worked too!