Throwing brass everywhere

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Have had my SR Commander for awhile now , probably have couple hundred rounds through it now. Shoots fine ... I'm happy with it. My question ... upon ejection ...the brass is everywhere ..in front of me , behind me ..everywhere. This happens with all ammo , factory and reloaded, 185 to 230 grainers. Any of you guys experiencing this ? I had a Springer GI model that did this same thing ...guess I figured the Ruger would be better. My RO mostly piles them up off to the right. Big price difference though. I've looked at 1911tuner posts ... didn't see where he addressed this. ( btw , really great info , thanks tuner )

regards , Brushunter

Desperado

Bearcat
I have both the CMD. and the GOV. and they as well as my Remington 1911R1S all throw the brass everywhere, makes it really hard to find and pick up for reloading.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Desperado said:
I have both the CMD. and the GOV. and they as well as my Remington 1911R1S all throw the brass everywhere, makes it really hard to find and pick up for reloading.

Roger that ... I spend more time looking for brass than shooting. :D Thanks for the response. Was just curious if mine was unique to the brass throwing. From my understanding , tuning of the ejecter may give more uniform ejection ( ? ), hence why my "more pricey" RO throws em in a pile ???

regards , brushunter

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've owned and shot at least a dozen 1911 .45's over the years and found that some piled their brass neatly at my 4 o'clock position, and others that spread it all around. Both of my Rugers tend to spread it around...that said, I'm far more interested in the grouping on target than the ease of brass recovery. So long as I get good ejection, and reliability, my spent brass pile size is a moot point. BTW, both of my Rugers are as accurate as I can hold, and as near 100% reliable as is possible. Rod

Kermit

Bearcat
My SR1911 seems to throw brass around too. I built a homemade brass deflector using PVC pipe and nylon netting. Granted it is not always possible to use this, but when I can it does help some. It won't deflect all of it, but you can find most of it. Mainly use it when shooting from a concrete bench at the local range. Use a ratchet strap to hold it to the table to the right of the pistol. Has anyone tried one of the brass catchers that sit on the table beside you? Looks like a modified fishing net. Midway USA sells them, but they're a little pricey thus my el cheapo homemade deflector.

Desperado

Bearcat
Rodfac said:
I've owned and shot at least a dozen 1911 .45's over the years and found that some piled their brass neatly at my 4 o'clock position, and others that spread it all around. Both of my Rugers tend to spread it around...that said, I'm far more interested in the grouping on target than the ease of brass recovery. So long as I get good ejection, and reliability, my spent brass pile size is a moot point. BTW, both of my Rugers are as accurate as I can hold, and as near 100% reliable as is possible. Rod

The Rugers and the Remington are as accurate as I can hold also, grouping at 25 yards is 4" with 16 rounds, and 100% reliable as is possible, with the exception of the front sight braking off the SR1911 Gov.(that will not hit the broad side of a barn till I get it fixed right), but woud like to have them drop the brass in a pile like my P89.

eveled

Hawkeye
I've seen slow motion video of a gun shooting, and it amazed me how different each empty was tossed. About every fifth shot the shell would come back down and almost go back into the open hole. So as far as I am concerned, if the gun shoots accurate and reliably, and the empties thrown out with authority, I am happy.

I tend to shoot my automatics more at the indoor range, were I can just sweep the brass up. Definately more fun to shoot revolvers outside. Ed

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Rodfac said:

I completely agree ... however brass recovery is important to me. If I don't reload , I can't afford to shoot. The only way I can see a difference in accuracy tween the Springer and the Ruger is from the bench at 15 yds. The Ruger is a fine weapon for the price.

regards , brushunter

Cholo

Staff member
I guess I'm fortunate in that my SR1911CMD lands then all between 3:00 and 4:00. My 3" Kimber Eclipse also drops them at 4:00, it's just a much bigger clock :wink: I have a Kahr CW45 that drops them all about 18" away at 4:00; nice!

Put a roof over my head like at my gun club? All bets are off...

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Erratic ejection is most often caused by the extractor, and usually because it releases the case too early or too late...but most often too early.

And in some pistols, it can be too late AND too early.

The shortened variants can be especially problematical because the typical extended length ejector hits the case while the slide is still moving fast and has a good distance remaining to the impact abutment. On the full-sized pistols, the case contacts the standard "stub" ejector at a point that the slide is nearly at the limit of its travel and has been slowed enough by the action/recoil spring to give it time to clear the port.

The extended ejectors necessary with the reduced slide travel also made it necessary to lower the port wall to prevent the case from striking the wall and being vectored straight up.

Forward ejection usually means late release. Backward usually means early.

Early release generally results in the brass flying backward...sometimes straight into your face or over your head. It's usually accompanied by brass tracks in the front of the port because the case was released into the slide's path and it gets knocked backward.

But sometimes it bounces twice. Once off the front and into the back of the port...and then it arcs forward of the gun when the slide hits it on the return trip. Analyzing the tracks and the patterns will provide a clue.

Check the length of the extractor claw from the tensioning wall to the tip. Ideal length is .035-.038 inch.

Often, if the claw has sharp, defined corners, late release...weak ejection...or even the occasional failure to eject is seen. I've come to tweak the claw on all new extractors as a matter of course. It only takes about 30 seconds to do it. Basically, you use a smooth mill file or a stone to give the claw a rough "D" shape as viewed from the front of the slide instead of the usual "]" shape. The radiusing shouldn't be as heavy as a true D. Your goal is to break the sharp corners that can snag the inside face of the rim as the case twists off the claw.

If you do this, lay the file or stone on the bench, and swipe the claw on it with a rolling motion to create a small radius. The mill file only cuts in one direction and it cuts pretty fast...so be careful. It usually only takes one or two swipes to do what needs to be done.

Sometimes it's necessary to tweak the shape of the extractor nose to guide the brass in the direction you want it to go, but this is one of those things in which a tiny change usually has a large effect...so it's a careful, trial and error exercise...with patience being the key to not having to order a new ejector and starting over.

I haven't seen Ruger's Commander clone yet, so I don't know what the ejector looks like. My advise is to go find a Colt Commander and study the ejector shape. Colt pioneered the Commander and has been successfully building them since 1949. They've got a handle on it. Minor details like this very often escape the notice of other manufacturers if they even bother to go look at a Colt...and from what I've seen...almost none of them do.

Desperado

Bearcat
1911Tuner said:
Erratic ejection is most often caused by the extractor, and usually because it releases the case too early or too late...but most often too early.

And in some pistols, it can be too late AND too early.

The shortened variants can be especially problematical because the typical extended length ejector hits the case while the slide is still moving fast and has a good distance remaining to the impact abutment. On the full-sized pistols, the case contacts the standard "stub" ejector at a point that the slide is nearly at the limit of its travel and has been slowed enough by the action/recoil spring to give it time to clear the port.

The extended ejectors necessary with the reduced slide travel also made it necessary to lower the port wall to prevent the case from striking the wall and being vectored straight up.

Forward ejection usually means late release. Backward usually means early.

Early release generally results in the brass flying backward...sometimes straight into your face or over your head. It's usually accompanied by brass tracks in the front of the port because the case was released into the slide's path and it gets knocked backward.

But sometimes it bounces twice. Once off the front and into the back of the port...and then it arcs forward of the gun when the slide hits it on the return trip. Analyzing the tracks and the patterns will provide a clue.

Check the length of the extractor claw from the tensioning wall to the tip. Ideal length is .035-.038 inch.

Often, if the claw has sharp, defined corners, late release...weak ejection...or even the occasional failure to eject is seen. I've come to tweak the claw on all new extractors as a matter of course. It only takes about 30 seconds to do it. Basically, you use a smooth mill file or a stone to give the claw a rough "D" shape as viewed from the front of the slide instead of the usual "]" shape. The radiusing shouldn't be as heavy as a true D. Your goal is to break the sharp corners that can snag the inside face of the rim as the case twists off the claw.

If you do this, lay the file or stone on the bench, and swipe the claw on it with a rolling motion to create a small radius. The mill file only cuts in one direction and it cuts pretty fast...so be careful. It usually only takes one or two swipes to do what needs to be done.

Sometimes it's necessary to tweak the shape of the extractor nose to guide the brass in the direction you want it to go, but this is one of those things in which a tiny change usually has a large effect...so it's a careful, trial and error exercise...with patience being the key to not having to order a new ejector and starting over.

I haven't seen Ruger's Commander clone yet, so I don't know what the ejector looks like. My advise is to go find a Colt Commander and study the ejector shape. Colt pioneered the Commander and has been successfully building them since 1949. They've got a handle on it. Minor details like this very often escape the notice of other manufacturers if they even bother to go look at a Colt...and from what I've seen...almost none of them do.

Would you happen to have a photo of an extractor with the proper shape? Could you post it? That would be very helpfull. Thanks

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
I don't. Sorry. It's pretty simple, though. Just break the corners a little so they're not so square and sharp.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
It goes without saying...or maybe not...that you should check for proper tension before proceeding.

Chamber a round at speed from the magazine. Then remove the magazine and carefully and slowly draw the slide back to extract the round. As it clears the chamber, it should droop slightly at the front, but shouldn't fall off the slide. Shake the gun lightly up and down a few times. The cartridge shouldn't fall off.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Agree with what Tuner said. Had to do it to one of my SR1911s, including tensioning the extractor, but the other SR1911 is fine and pitches it to the right. My SR1911CMD is not real bad, but will probably work a bit on the extractor and tension it as winter comes to the SW and it is not so hot to go out and shoot in the boonies. I like to lay down a not huge tarp and get most of the empties on that.

edlmann

Blackhawk
1911Tuner said:
Erratic ejection is most often caused by the extractor

Used to have a 70 series Colt 5" which would try to put cases right between my eyes. Once it landed one base-down on the bill of a ball cap I was wearing. Bottom inboard corner of the extractor needed to be rounded a bit.

Latest posts