The squatter is a burglar

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Hunter
Each state will vary. I hope you're not in England and took a months vacation:

Yes, long-term squatters do have rights. The law suggests that in specific circumstances, long-term squatters can sometimes become the registered owner of the property they've occupied without the original owner's permission. This is often referred to as adverse possession.

You could apply for an Interim Possession Order if you discovered your property has been subject to squatting within the last 28 days. You can file an IPO and send it to the county court in your local area. The courts then send you a confirmation and documents that you then issue to the squatters within 48 hours.
In most, if not all states, adverse possession requires that taxes be paid (proving the property had been abandoned). Also many states require that improvements be made.

Won't help much, but you can charge him with criminal trespass after all the dust is settled.

Take home: Hire a house sitter you trust.

Based on 25+ years in the title insurance industry.

Park in the driveway and pitch a tent in the front yard. Make them get rid of you!! Make him show a rental agreement or lease. Have him evicted for substantially reducing the value (not mowing the yard for instance!)

If no witnesses, wouldn't it be easier just to shoot the SOB and call 911. After all he did try to ambush and attack you in your own home. If they don't believe you they can always ask him.
"Society" thanks you for the service.

I owned 2 different vacation homes over the years and wondered a little about that. They were never used as rentals. I know what I wanted to do, go in and arrest the people. Likely would have phoned 911. They were in Washington state.

Assuming people here don't want to just start killing other people.

And then throw into the mix, that if you start harassing the squatter to get out. They could go file a restraining order against you.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Assuming people here don't want to just start killing other people.

And then throw into the mix, that if you start harassing the squatter to get out. They could go file a restraining order against you.
At which point you make sure you can't leave your legal residence. Then they have to leave because you can't.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
I know there's a darn good reason I never wanted to live in England. That's the stupidist bull I ever heard of.

Your state laws will vary but Oregon, forcing or just entering into a residence if people are present or not is a felony if the intent is to commit a crime, any crime. It's a burglary. Intent can be easy or hard to prove. Without intent it can be a misdemeanor trespass if no force or damage was used. Now if they claim squatter rights there is no such law. If they committed fraud somehow to get the title. That can be taken care of with a few phone calls. What Portland has done with homeless only on public lands not in any buildings is allow them 30 days after a posting they must leave.

Armybrat

Buckeye
each state is different. and every piece of paper mentioned here must be served by a marshall, who charges per page. and the court charges too. im a landlord and its bad enough to get someone out. let alone a squatter.
its a long expensive process where you never recoop losses. sure you get the home back, but what a mess itll be.
If I returned to my house and found squatters inside it wouldn't be a long & expensive process.
It would cost about 40 cents per round and a lawyer to have me no-billed by the county grand jury toot sweet.

How to prove the house is yours: your ID has your address on it also your vehicles, the electric bill, gas bill, water bill, deed at county, mortgage ,insurance to name a few.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Threads like this are ludicrous. The op sets up a scenario that is totally unrealistic, makes no mention of location, and invites people to live out their confronting intruder fantasies.

We live in a federal republic. Each State has its own laws and runs their own internal affairs. So far we have lots of people chiming in on what "the law" is without regard to jurisdiction or their qualifications to pontificate on "the law".

So here you go. Based on 32 years as a felony prosecutor in the State of Illinois, a person occupying or remaining in the dwelling of another without permission IN ILLINOIS, is committed criminal trespass to residence. A class A misdemeanor punishableby up to 364 days in jail. If they have taken any property or committed or intended to commit a felony they are committing the offense of residential burglary. A class 1 felony punishable by up to 15 years in doc. Liberal Illinois law there.

I can think of no instance where any of the hundreds of LEO'S I have worked with would not arrest a person found in the residence of another. MAYBE they would be given the opportunity to leave first but probably not.

Answer to #34, a clean up and removal of persons is done. If they choose to stay and some do, to get a free meal, a cite or trip to jail for trespass. What really happens in most cases, they all leave the day before, leave all the human waste and drug stuff, most belongings. Set up at another place a few miles away. The state of Oregon was paying 1.5 million in clean up costs every 2 years just on state owned property in and around Portland. To stop the revolving door and environmental damage. About 4 years ago the State paid 2.5 million to remove all the remaining vegetation and place rock including mostly rock to big to remove without equipment so the the drugged out homeless could not set up a tent much less a camp. The city commissioners went wild, they demanded to state to remove the rock to allow the poor homeless a place to live. They were mainly mad that after that happened since the city would have more homeless camps on city owned property and they pay for that clean up etc. not the state.

Threads like this are ludicrous. The op sets up a scenario that is totally unrealistic, makes no mention of location, and invites people to live out their confronting intruder fantasies.

We live in a federal republic. Each State has its own laws and runs their own internal affairs. So far we have lots of people chiming in on what "the law" is without regard to jurisdiction or their qualifications to pontificate on "the law".

So here you go. Based on 32 years as a felony prosecutor in the State of Illinois, a person occupying or remaining in the dwelling of another without permission IN ILLINOIS, is committed criminal trespass to residence. A class A misdemeanor punishableby up to 364 days in jail. If they have taken any property or committed or intended to commit a felony they are committing the offense of residential burglary. A class 1 felony punishable by up to 15 years in doc. Liberal Illinois law there.

I can think of no instance where any of the hundreds of LEO'S I have worked with would not arrest a person found in the residence of another. MAYBE they would be given the opportunity to leave first but probably not.

You haven't visited my county have you? We have a ADA who has publicly stated his office will not prosecute misdemeanors. Will not charge a minor as an adult. And actually refused to prosecute a armed individual that physically attacked someone in front of hundreds of people and was videotaped.

And squatters have created problems.

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
In my opinion: Its your house and you have the right to empty a can of pepper SPRAY anytime I want.!!! If people are in there that shouldn't be, that's on them. I thought I had a hobo staying in my old shed once. A full can of OC spray solved that problem.

BTW in Texas you need only post "NO TRESPASSING" signs and if you find them in or on your property ::: ITS A TRIP TO JAIL!!

Latest posts