The Redhawk is back on Ruger's website

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bvd1

Single-Sixer
It is finally on their site again. I recently bought the 4 inch .44magnum and am waiting for the 2 3/4" to be listed.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Wow. The scope-ready model finally lists above $1K ! - and there is NO mention of Ruger scope rings being included at that price ???

And the rest of them are all $999 MSRP. What are the improvements? Same ol' Redhawk?

black029

Single-Sixer
Other than laser etchings, one of which is on the bottom of the barrel forward of the ejector, instead of huge roll markings, I'm saying it's the same ol" Redhawk. I'll know in about 6 days.

Bobthegod

Bearcat
Well, that's nice to see that it's back. Prices are a little high but I'm sure you'll see it drop once they get into the stores.

I already have a 44 magnum 5".
I think I'm going wait and see if the .357 and .41 magnum come out.

Those are the ones I'm interested in.

pyth0n

Buckeye
mohavesam said:
Wow. The scope-ready model finally lists above $1K ! - and there is NO mention of Ruger scope rings being included at that price ???

And the rest of them are all $999 MSRP. What are the improvements? Same ol' Redhawk?
If you check out the features section, it says rings are included. http://ruger.com/products/redhawk/features.html
Same old Redhawk re-cataloged after moving to new facility. :)

black029

Single-Sixer
They might sell some 8 shot .357's, if they kept the barrel to 4 or 5 inches. Or even less. Otherwise it's " been there, done that, and it weighed 60 ounces"

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I looked at a new 5.5" last weekend, $849. The trigger was horrible and the gun had cylinder drag. I was not at all impressed.
Hopefully QC will improve as production gets going again.

drastic_quench

Bearcat
black029 said:
They might sell some 8 shot .357's, if they kept the barrel to 4 or 5 inches. Or even less. Otherwise it's " been there, done that, and it weighed 60 ounces"
This man speaks the truth. Unfortunately the stock answer from Ruger is "we make six shooters.". Which of course ignores the SP101, Single Nine, Single Ten, et al.

I think Ruger could beat out S&W in that marketplace.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
drastic_quench said:
black029 said:
...I think Ruger could beat out S&W in that marketplace.
Yeah, even the hard core S&W guys acknowledge that the RH/SRH are super strong and stout revolvers. 8-shot GP100? Now that would be quite the gun. :D

black029

Single-Sixer
I don't think you could safely do 8 in a GP100. But I'm wondering if 9 (we're talking .357 here, as a reminder) would fit in a Redhawk. Seems to me that the Ruger cylinder has a greater diameter than a 29/629, but wouldn't bet a sugar cookie on it.
Anyone have both, to compare?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
black029.... you may safely bet every sugar cookie ever made the Redhawk cylinder has greater diameter than that of the S&W M-29/629. While diameter of Bill Ruger's Super Blackhawk is similar to the M-29, the Ruger represents vastly greater durability under sustained magnum fire. While I would rate the cylinders close in strength, as in pretty damn strong, the fact of SBH durability proceeds from the "solid" single action cylinder frame, with greater mass in lockwork.

When Ruger set out to make a double action .44 Magnum, he at once set to eliminate the traditional DA sideplate and increase mass. To increase diameter of barrel socket in frame he offset the ejector rod below the axis of the cylinder. The cylinder latch (cylinder stop) was made heavier, stronger, and able to time with a heavier spring. These are a couple of details which make the Redhawk and its offspring Super Redhawk far stronger under heavy loads than the S&W.

The Dan Wesson Arms Model 44 (.44 Mag) also takes advantage of the solid frame DA concept.

A proper S&W M-29 or M-629 is a thing of beauty, accuracy and long service life. Just don't let it feed at the same trough as a Redhawk or Super Redhawk.
David Bradshaw

black029

Single-Sixer
Mr. Bradshaw, thanks for the insightful response. Much appreciated.
With Ruger seemingly coming out with a RB sub 3" Redhawk in .44, maybe an 8 or 9 shot version in .357 could follow. They have presented worse iterations to the shooting public.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
black029.... the larger-than-Blackhawk-and-M29 diameter of the Redhawk/SRH cylinder, with consequent greater chamber wall thickness, certainly would accommodate more than six chambers in .357. However overkill the 6-shot Redhawk .357 may be for strength, it certainly allows for Freedom Arms/Redhawk ONLY loads.

An 8-shot .357 Redhawk might be of some utility down the road. Were Ruger to reintroduce the .357 Redhawk, I'd prefer it a 6-shot for its unique strength----and the fact I have no history of exhausting a cylinder full of .357's, nor .44's, nor .45's, nor .454's while hunting.

A light cylinder starts & stops rotation fast. Thus, the flywheel effect of a heavy cylinder retards double action speed. Mass of the Redhawk make it more of a work gun than a game gun.
David Bradshaw

eveled

Hawkeye
I was looking for a .357 Redhawk, and lusting for an eight shot one. I got tired of waiting and bought a S&W 627 (40oz), liked it so much I bought a 327 light weight snub nose, (24oz).

Both these guns have amazing double action triggers. As much as I love my Rugers, I'm not sure a .357 Redhawk has much of a market anymore, especially if it weighs 60oz.

In theory if the .357 Redhawk was a good seller, they would not have stopped making it.

With all that said, if they do come out with a .357 Redhawk, I'd probably buy one. :D . Especially a if it was a snub nose, Ed

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
I bought one of the Toklats. Got a good price and like it so far. A nice balance between the 2.5" Alaskan and the 7.5" Super Redhawk. I am a little surprised the 4.2" Redhawks have not been immediately bought up. Maybe the long drought is over now and their supply will be abundant. Maybe the market is just soft. Time will tell.