Ruger's laminated grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Back in the 70's and 80's replacing the grips on S&W's was all the rage and nowadays those Goncalo grips that were removed are commanding serious money for newer shooters that came to appreciate the "classic" beauty of the OEM grips.

Today it seems like the same thing has occurred with the Ruger Blackhawk all wood and laminated grips which I find serviceable and attractive despite a bit of a fitment issue.

OK, maybe the plastic grip innovation from Ruger isn't such a good idea and those may deserve to be deep sixed but SAVE those all wood and laminated grips for resale when you sell that Blackhawk! Guys like me deduct value without them no matter how cool y'all think they look or how much the replacements cost! :)

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree.

But if I find a gun with a GOOD quality custom set of grips,, such as the ones made by Cary C,, then I look at the value of the gun as being increased a bit. I can find factory ones cheaper than I can find a set of Cary's grips.

But as noted,, keep the original stuff with a gun. When I replace a part with an aftermarket part,, such as a Belt Mtn base pin, or a Fermin front sight, or a RW grip frame, or a RW/Garza rear sight, or a set of custom grips,, I "bag & tag" the factory parts, with the info on which gun they came off of. I have a parts bin just for those things. Most of my mods are easily reversed.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Why would anyone want a plywood (read cheap and cheap looking) stocks?

It's funny how something that began as cheap wartime parts have managed to be foisted off on consumers as a good idea.
Because I like them? Some pay a lot for Zebrawood and that's just natural plywood :)

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I musta been a fool to do this to my XP. In retrospect maybe I should have left the plastic for the next owner.

Attachments

• xp100.jpg
    xp100.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 44

Star43

Blackhawk
One thing for sure. And I learned the hard way, was to not over tighten the beautiful original walnut grips. I have done that "Twice", which makes me feel twice as stupid. Crack city. So then I try to order and do, Three Times, to get the new replacement grips. They just don't fit right. All 3 fit all slightly different and oversized in some places and a little undersized in others. All 3 I put back in the original "Ruger" packaging. Ruger doesn't actually make it. It's been a while but I think they came out of northern California here. They are pretty to look at, but don't fit right. I just don't understand why they can't make them right. Mine is for an 80's Single Six. Just writing this upsets me as it was my fault to over tighten the original beautiful walnut ones.......

One thing for sure. And I learned the hard way, was to not over tighten the beautiful original walnut grips. I have done that "Twice", which makes me feel twice as stupid. Crack city.
Just writing this upsets me as it was my fault to over tighten the original beautiful walnut ones.......

Edit: Star43, don't beat yourself up too badly… LOTS of folks have done the same thing. The fact that you did it twice… well, that just means that you're "my kind of people!" 😂

Contender has a "helpful hint" for all of us who are prone to being ham-fisted, over-tightening grip panels.

He uses a spacer between the grip panels.

Read about this simple fix, here: https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/new-find.305107/post-3061479

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
Edit: Star43, don't beat yourself up too badly… LOTS of folks have done the same thing. The fact that you did it twice… well, that just means that you're "my kind of people!" 😂
Yes, I did go back and see that post along with his other post on another thread. Excellent to know and to do to your guns. A "cheap fix" that makes it done right. Actually it makes you wonder why Ruger never did the spacer in the first place as that would have eliminated a LOT of problems very easily. Can't be the cost of the spacer as it is cheap and if they bought them in obvious bulk, the cost would be next to nothing? It makes you think ?? Sure Glad Contender came up with it though. That's for sure !!! 🙂👍

Why would anyone want a plywood (read cheap and cheap looking) stocks?

It's funny how something that began as cheap wartime parts have managed to be foisted off on consumers as a good idea.
Agreed wholeheartedly. You can call them whatever you wish but to me they are plywood. Also, try to find a good replacement rifle stock in walnut today. Composite, laminated or whatever. I remember years ago buying a Fajen claro walnut stock for my 1891 Mauser rifle. Beautiful when finished.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Agreed wholeheartedly. You can call them whatever you wish but to me they are plywood. Also, try to find a good replacement rifle stock in walnut today. Composite, laminated or whatever. I remember years ago buying a Fajen claro walnut stock for my 1891 Mauser rifle. Beautiful when finished.
Why? For me I LIKE the way they look, they don't absorb skin oils, or crack, and some of the most expensive guitars use laminated wood. I figure they're good enough for my tastes :)

G2

Hunter
I Like the look and better fit of the LETT Mfg "plywood" grips.
52245533749_88a27f51ca_k.jpg

I like that one can choose Vintage Brass GF with modern "plywood" on a New Model,
50th 44 flattop
30 carbine
52084302922_b59e55c4db_k.jpg

51954616289_6fe70371b8_k.jpg

The poor fitting Altamont Mfg grips (current mfg.),,, not so much…🙄
Sad situation is Altamont does make some really nice stuff too,,, replacement for a Luger, spot on!
1713635555989.jpeg

1713635606915.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts