The oldest and newest Ruger .22 pistols compared...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
In preparation for an article I'm writing, I recently took these pics comparing one of the original Ruger "red eagle" Standard pistols with a newly-manufactured Ruger Mark IV. A lot has happened in the intervening period. The Standard was made in the first full year of production, mid-1950. The Mark IV was made in late 2016. I thought it interesting to make the comparison. Hope you like the pics.

John

RUGER_MARK_IV-02_zpsqhujzzxh.jpg

RUGER_MARK_IV-01_zpsdhgbuihx.jpg

RUGER_MARK_IV-03-DELINEATED_zpskjd75f8h.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
You might want to mention how much easier it is to go from the field stripped view to the assembled view with a MkIV compared to ANY of the earlier Ruger's. :)

RSIno1

Hunter
The more things change the more they remain the same. 68 years later the basic architecture is still as Bill designed it. The only real improvement in all that time is the new takedown system. Everything else was just bells and whistles. Sure wish I could get a MKIV here in Commifornia.

chet15

Hawkeye
street said:
Boy! That is one nice old Red Eagle! Love the serial number.

That is also a "milestone" number. Would be interesting to see when it shipped. Wouldn't be surprised if it was there as late as 1958.
Chet15

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
chet15 said:
street said:
Boy! That is one nice old Red Eagle! Love the serial number.

That is also a "milestone" number. Would be interesting to see when it shipped. Wouldn't be surprised if it was there as late as 1958.
Chet15

It was shipped in July, 1950 - midway in the first full year of production.

John

Spleenless Dave

Single-Sixer
VERY nice pics! Thanks for taking and posting them. I've been thinking about selling my LCRX and trying to find a stainless Mark IV Target. After getting to handle one at a gun store recently, it made me really want one.

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
black029 said:
The Mark IV had the right side ambi removed?

Yes. As a right-hander, the right-side safety lever gouged my right hand index finger's upper knuckle. I removed the lever and replaced it with the spacer Ruger thoughtfully provided. It's easy to do and made a real difference in comfort.

John

black029

Single-Sixer
PALADIN85020 said:
black029 said:
The Mark IV had the right side ambi removed?

Yes. As a right-hander, the right-side safety lever gouged my right hand index finger's upper knuckle. I removed the lever and replaced it with the spacer Ruger thoughtfully provided. It's easy to do and made a real difference in comfort.

John

I have much the same issues with 1911's so equipped. Nice to know there is a simple, factory provided solution.
Excellent photography.