The Lord smiled upon me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I tagged this guy at 8:12 am this morning. He actually attacked me. I was walking into the woods and made a couple "social" buck grunts and he launched himself out of the foliage about 20 feet away from me and charged right at me. He made one loud grunt as he came at me. I was fortunate to have my wife's crossbow (I jacked up my shoulder working with one of our horses) and not a compound and was able to snap it up and shoot him. He turned slightly and instead of hitting him at the neck/spine junction (it was all I could see for a shot) I hit him in the neck. The shot severed both arteries and clipped his spine. He dropped in his tracks and that was all she wrote. Total time from shot to drag was less than 2 minutes. Freaked me out though.....I dont think I could have made the shot with a compound it happened too fast. I will say that the Rocky Mountain Switchblade broadhead performed perfectly. It made a monster cut which really helped. I was never a fan of crossbows until today

20231115_090137.jpg

I had a similar experience at 3am a few years ago. I had my arms full and an unprimed muzzleloader on my back. I eventually had to yell at him and swing my tree stand at him a few times which scared off every deer within a mile for the day.

Hankus

Blackhawk
That's why I carry my Bisley Super Blackhawk when bow hunting… well, I've never been attacked by a deer when hunting, but carry it for bears wolves, and and coyotes…

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
That's why I carry my Bisley Super Blackhawk when bow hunting… well, I've never been attacked by a deer when hunting, but carry it for bears wolves, and and coyotes…
One of the rare times I was "gunless" 🙄

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
I tagged this guy at 8:12 am this morning. He actually attacked me. I was walking into the woods and made a couple "social" buck grunts and he launched himself out of the foliage about 20 feet away from me and charged right at me. He made one loud grunt as he came at me. I was fortunate to have my wife's crossbow (I jacked up my shoulder working with one of our horses) and not a compound and was able to snap it up and shoot him. He turned slightly and instead of hitting him at the neck/spine junction (it was all I could see for a shot) I hit him in the neck. The shot severed both arteries and clipped his spine. He dropped in his tracks and that was all she wrote. Total time from shot to drag was less than 2 minutes. Freaked me out though.....I dont think I could have made the shot with a compound it happened too fast. I will say that the Rocky Mountain Switchblade broadhead performed perfectly. It made a monster cut which really helped. I was never a fan of crossbows until today

View attachment 33328
Very nice Buck .. a great Blessing