The benefits of a college education

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When I started collage after hockey I worked part time while in school and full time plus during the summers.
Between that, some money save while skating, and some help from my parents, I never had any student
loans. My wife worked and payed her way through collage also and neither one of us are too thrilled for our
tax money paying off other peoples self incurred debts!

My wife paid for her BSN degree by working on an Indian reservation in South Dakota for 3 years. Her sister is married to a guy who has a PhD in political science and no job in the field. He has huge college loans and no way of paying for them.
I worked at a college that graduated art preservationists and museum curators by the hundreds with no job prospects. I am sure most of them have huge loans as well.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If I have any regrets, it is that I did not go to college. I did well with what I had, but always sort of envied college graduates. I worked with some very capable engineers and always was overshadowed to some degree by their education. College just makes one a better rounded person. On the other hand, I had a better education, from experience, but I had no diploma to show for it.

But, as my daughter once told me, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Bob Wright

mxer

Bearcat
I did not finish college, but I never borrowed for any of it.
But I paid for 3 college degrees with no loans. Two for my ex, BA and Masters. The BA was a private college. The masters was a state university
And one for my daughter at a private college.
I am not or have ever been wealthy by any measure.
I saved and managed my finances so no borrowing was necessary.
Pay as you go.
Or don't go.

gnappi

Blackhawk
I paid mine back. A common lament I heard from whiners is that they didn't pursue the field they studied for in University. Sooo, that's our fault they couldn't make a living in some arcane field they picked to spend four years getting drunk and laid?

Last edited:
If I have any regrets, it is that I did not go to college. I did well with what I had, but always sort of envied college graduates. I worked with some very capable engineers and always was overshadowed to some degree by their education. College just makes one a better rounded person. On the other hand, I had a better education, from experience, but I had no diploma to show for it.

But, as my daughter once told me, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't
Very well said.

I went to college, my dad was a professor so I got a pretty steep discount on tuition. The drawback was I didn't have a choice of universities. Not that it matters now of course.

My wife is very successful with only a BA degree. I'm not sure if advanced degrees matter or if it's more of "who you know." I'm not sure.

I did have student loans, not much, just $5,000. But back then that was a fortune.

I worked at a large firm along side of folks who worked all of the over time they could get and drove old cars so they could pay for their kids to go to college.

I also worked with a lot of very inspiring people with Graduate degrees and PHD's. This inspired me to go thru college myself.

What does a degree get you? This company was big in recruiting employees from IVY League schools across the nation. They were laying off non degree talent while hiring the IVY League non experienced folks thru the back door. They even endured a big class action lawsuit because of this. Those who lost their job help build the company and were responsible for the processes they were still in place.

Meanwhile those of us lowly high school or Undergraduate degree employees who were left had to help the Graduate recruits deal with performance appraisals or disciplinary procedures. They hadn't a clue on how meet department metrics. Since they came in as "fast trackers" they moved from department to department leaving a wake of undisciplined employees and failing metrics. But boy did they move up. many became site leaders at various sites across the US. That my friends is what a graduate degree can get you.

I don't fell sorry for these folks.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have two in college that neither have debt because they have academic scholarships. I did too back then (to be an engineer) but I had to quit school. Now I make about the same fixing what the engineers did wrong. My sister has a Masters degree and worked for three years after college then quit to be a stay at home mom. My dad retired from IBM and went back to school to get his Masters Degree. He's re-retired. Mom finished college and got her degree when I was in high school. She worked for about 8 years and retired. I have no degree and cannot see retirement and I'll be 50 this fall.

contender

Ruger Guru
By having a college degree IN SOME FIELDS,, can be a good thing. Plus,, it's also dependent upon where you live & who's hiring.
A farmer,, say,, in the "flyover" area doesn't have many opportunities as a computer engineer,, or via-a-versa. If you desire to work for a larger company,, and want to succeed,, you most often need a college diploma,, NO MATTER HOW SMART YOU ARE. As long as you have the paper,, they will look at you as being the kind of person they want.
Yet,, often,, like Bob above,, have actual real world knowledge & skills to where they can easily out perform those "book trained" monkeys!

However,, it's OFTEN the labors who don't have the sheepskin,, that truly know how to do the REAL work.

Watching that video,, I could not help but want to cry. These are the exact same people who VOTE,, and who are trying to run our world. And sadly,, they breed more just like themselves.

College back in the 70's and 80's is not what it is now. Yearly tuition was about $10K for a state-run college, but now tuition is $30K more. Kids coming out with a general degree, or English, walking neighbor dogs for pennies after parents spent $120K for their education. What a waste!

College does not prepare you for a job, it only gives you knowledge.

I used to think you needed to have college to get ahead. But being in the position of hiring manager, experience is more important than college. Master's degrees are a waste of money and time.

Votech schools are booming right now, because they are training kids for trades. Unions and small shops are snapping them up and giving them a decent wage.

Depends, my niece's son graduates from Purdue this spring and has already accepted a good job from multiple offers.
His brother is in a professional pilot program that will also have a 4 year aviation management degree when he graduates.
If he does his part he'll have multiple regional airline pilot offers to pick from when he graduates. Will have about 75 to 80K
invested in flight training on top of collage costs.