THE 358 WINCHESTER - A TRUE HUNTERS CARTRIDGE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

358Win

Bearcat
THE 358 WINCHESTER
A True Hunters Cartridge
A Classic With Style And Lots Of Punch

IMG_8033.jpg

I passed by my neighbor's house the other day and we took a ride in his completely restored 1955 Chevy Bel Air, two-tone mint green and white. It has been since 1968 that I road in one of these classic cars. I did not expect much when he ask me to ride with him because I forgot just how cool it was. Man what a ride. That V8 just rumbled in a hypnotic way while stirring my emotions, bringing back memories of cool times and the ride was easy and smooth. Many don't know what it is like to ride in a classic that has character and style. Sometimes we don't know due to a lack of experience with an old version of something and how it is so simply wonderful.

IMG_8013.jpg

That is how I think it is with the 358Win cartridge. What a wonderful, simple, accurate and efficient design that has a style of it's own. It has been around since Winchester introduced in back in 1955. The 358Win can be acquired in chambering by more than one company. I truly am impressed not only with the cartridge but with my Ruger M77 Hawkeye chambered in 358Win topped by a VX-III 1.5-5x20mm. Of course you can get it in a M77 or a Brown BLR.

IMG_8035.jpg

It is a straight-forward design being necked up from 308 to 35 caliber and of course fits in short actions which reduce weight but also enhance it's accuracy potential. Without a doubt I believe the 358Win to be a true hunter's cartridge. Now what do I mean by the statement that the 358Win is a true hunter's cartridge? Let me give the following examples that will help us understand.

JordanAleysbirthday139.jpg

The 358Win is truly a hunter cartridge in that it is a 0-300yd big time thumper. Throwing a 225gr bullet down range with velocities that are perfect for thick brush while providing enough energy and momentum to drop any hog,deer, elk, black bear, moose and yes even brown bear. You will not do long range shooting with this cartridge but what ever you hit with in 300yds with out a bunch of hold over is dead and usually falls right where you hit it.

Most hunters in North america even some elk hunting out west is any where between 30 and 100yds. Often times an animal is partially obscured by intervening brush or timber and we desire our bullets to penetrate that slight cover with reasonable certainty.

On top of that we want to punch a good size hole in the game when in thick cover so as to have a blood trail if tracking is needed and the animal is not instantly dropped. It becomes really important to knock down your game quickly when you hunt in an area where lots of other hunters hunt. On top of that and especially when in tick woods and in some areas of North America and Canada, you could encounter large game unexpectedly and the extra margin the 358Win gives a hunter, just might be needed.

To put it simply, the 358Win classifies as medium-range cartridge that offers possibilities, that aren't there with lesser cartridges. If Nosler would only chamber their M48 Custom rifle in this cartridge I truly would buy it the day it came out. Those are not idle words. I believe it to be the perfect answer for Nosler's Custom Rifles in having a true contender that could handle large and even dangerous game. All this while being housed in the M48 short action with a 22" barrel and giving the hunter confidence in taking anything from a deer to a brown.

In fact I believe the M48 should be chambered in 358Win even before considering the 30-06. I have written and tried to encourage Nosler in this area. To many 358Win rifles are being purchased to day and to have a top notch high quality rifle like the M48 in 358Win would certainly attract discerning rifleman like me and others.

Ballistic Chart
358Win Ruger Hawkeye
225gr Accubond
2555fps
Ramshot TAC powder
Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2555------3261-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2348------2275-------------(+3")

220-----------2213------2232-------------(Zero)

275-----------2010------2095-------------(-5")

313-----------1941------1881--------(-10" P/B-hold top of shoulder)

371-----------1837------1686--------(-10" from top of shoulder)

390-----------1804------1626--------(-14" from top of shoulder)

The cartridge is highly accurate as demonstrated in an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye with no extra work of any kind done to the rifle.

IMG_8457.jpg

Three shot group using AA2495BR
IMG_8052.jpg

Ballistic Chart
358Win
225gr Sierra SBT
2471fps
AA2495BR

Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2471------3050-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2256------2542-------------(+3")

210-----------2031------2060-------------(Zero)

263-----------1927------1855-------------(-5")

300-----------1857------1723--------(-10" P/B-hold top of shoulder)

355-----------1756------1540--------(-10" from top of shoulder)

373-----------1724------1484--------(-14" from top of shoulder)

The 358Win is just to good of a cartridge and certainly a very useful one at that, to be forgotten or neglected. Easy recoil considering you are throwing down range a 180gr, 200gr, 225gr or even a 250gr bullet and the thump it gives down range on game is impressive. Easy to load for and very forgiving when it comes to finding accuracy with many powders like, IMR3031, IMR4198, RL-7, H4895, IMR4895, IMR4064, IMR4320, Varget, Tac, AA2495BR, BL-C2 just to name a few. I call it "A LITTLE BIG THUMPER" and what a thumper it is and what a joy to carry in the field.

In this day and time of speed and more speed, one just needs to drive a classic to appreciate the easy drive. The same is true of the 358Win. One has to take one to the range and then to the field and see what is so cool about this classic from 1955. You won't be disappointed in the least, I promise. In fact you will be surprised at how it handles, just how easy it is to drive while giving you so much in return. By: Mike Price

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Excellent write up. But your telling me nothing I don't already know. I am a big fan of the 358 and all the 35s. I have a Browning BLR takedown that will shoot ragged one hole groups with 200 grain tsx. All the 35s don't get the respect they deserve. The 358 was called a brush gun when it came out so it was brushed aside. The 350 mag had to much recoil. The 35 whelen was not fast enough. To many people believed all these rumors when the cartridges came out. It is ashame as all these cartridges will doing anything all the popular north american cartridges will do out to about 250 yards with much more authority. My only want for the 358 is a lighter ballistic tip from nosler. A 200 grain would not eat up as much powder space and I think you could get 2700 fps or so out of it. A 180 grain bullet would shoot nice and flat put the 308 to shame.

358Win

Bearcat
mike7mm08":1nyr5o8t said:
Excellent write up. But your telling me nothing I don't already know. I am a big fan of the 358 and all the 35s. I have a Browning BLR takedown that will shoot ragged one hole groups with 200 grain tsx. All the 35s don't get the respect they deserve. The 358 was called a brush gun when it came out so it was brushed aside. The 350 mag had to much recoil. The 35 whelen was not fast enough. To many people believed all these rumors when the cartridges came out. It is ashame as all these cartridges will doing anything all the popular north american cartridges will do out to about 250 yards with much more authority. My only want for the 358 is a lighter ballistic tip from nosler. A 200 grain would not eat up as much powder space and I think you could get 2700 fps or so out of it. A 180 grain bullet would shoot nice and flat put the 308 to shame.

Well said about the 35 cartridges you mentioned.

pete44ru

Hunter
JMO, but Ruger missed the boat, by not chambering the tang-safety M77RSI to .358, and again by not chambering the Mark II M77RSI for it or the .338 Federal.

fyimo

Bearcat
Great write and review. I too am a fan of the 35 caliber bullets and rifles. I just happen to have selected the 35 Whelen instead only because I wanted one for a long time and so far I have been impressed with it.

The 358 Win is certainly a great choice also and is a short action rifle which makes it nice.

358Win

Bearcat
Fired a quick three rounds with my 358Win this morning after I did the penetration test on the 210gr partition so as to make final adjustment with my sights. This is my hunting round moving 2471fps. Very consistent cartridge to say the least and a very fine shooting Ruger Hawkeye.

IMG_9251.jpg

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Good writeup and I certainly agree. I had to build my .358 on a Remington 78 action several years ago. It is a good shooter but not as good as that Hawkeye!! I have killed several deer with mine and it leaves nothing wanting. I use the Speer 220g flatpoint as I hunt in the woods where most shots are inside 75. I would not be deterred from taking a 200 or 250 yard shot however.

I think the Ruger Hawkeye is the nicest pure hunting rifle available today in a non custom and is probably 'better' than many customs. It is the current 'pre 64 Win' but even better imo. And in .358 how can one go wrong. Plus yours is a definite shooter. Congrats. TnTnTn

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Great write up but having owned and hunted a couple of 358's I will take my 35 Whelens's when the chips might be down where the "benefits" of the short action becomes moot. We do need to keep in mind bullet effectiveness vs. velocity too. Last years Whelen results below with the moose stretching the 358 Win I believe...

BCHunt021.JPG

BCHunt045.JPG

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Finally, a picture of something killed with this round.--I will stick with my 30-06 with all due respect.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
6mmsl":3p5cyt6w said:
Finally, a picture of something killed with this round.--.

Well, here's another one....

I used a Win factory 200gr Silvertip to take my best ever whitetail with the 358. The bullet penetrated this 210 lb buck lenghtwise from about 80 yards.

The 358 Win is absolutely one of my favorite cartrides. It just flat works.

BigBuck-2.jpg

358Win

Bearcat
Bigboreshooter, I have seen that deer you killed on an other post and I just want to say that your deer is one of the finest tall racks I have seen in a while. Thanks for posting it, really cool indeed. Yes, you are so right, the 358Win just flat works.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks Mike.

It was a few years ago, but the performance of the round really helped to cement my belief in bigger, heavier bullets at modest velocities.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I like the 35s as well, I have the 350 RM, which duplicates the 35 Whelen in a short action, and at 100 yards is one of my most accurate big bore guns. It does have a thump, but not worse than any 300 Mag.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
Bigboreshooter":35upjb6p said:
6mmsl":35upjb6p said:
Finally, a picture of something killed with this round.--.

Well, here's another one....

I used a Win factory 200gr Silvertip to take my best ever whitetail with the 358. The bullet penetrated this 210 lb buck lenghtwise from about 80 yards.

The 358 Win is absolutely one of my favorite cartrides. It just flat works.

BigBuck-2.jpg

that's a really nice 8ptr,a huge 8 ptr in fact.

Retsoff

Bearcat
That buck is awesome! I also am a big fan of the 35 caliber, having owned a BLR in 358 Win and currently owning a Ruger in 350 Mag. One thing that has puzzled me is that the above-stated reloading data, as well as other comments I've read on different forums, indicate that the Nosler 225 Accubond can be used in the 358 Win but not in the 350 Mag rifles (at least not very many and only if you're lucky). Both are short action cartridges. Ah well, that's not a deal breaker for me but I just can't figure that one out.

Years ago, I also owned a Marlin in 35 Rem. I also had a chance to buy a Marlin in 356 Win for $300 at a gun show, after Marlin stopped making this caliber. The gun was in perfect shape but I still did not buy it. That has to be one of the dumbest things I ever did (or rather didn't do).

I guess you get the picture - I like 35 caliber rifles. The only reason I don't own a 35 Whelen is because I already have the 350 Mag.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
All short actions are not created equal. I bet the 225 Accubond will not work through a short action Remington chambered in 350 Mag or .358 if they ever chambered it. Winchester and Ruger short actions are longer than Remington. I bet it would be tight with a BLR in either chambering if it would work at all. I have a BLR in 358 and looked at the 225 Accubond when it came out but I already had a good amount of Sierra and Partition 225s loaded. Nosler lists the Accubond with a BC of .421 and the Partition at .430. I'm sure the Sierra is higher yet. I would prefer the Partition up close anyway. I would guess all the 358 cal bullets are designed the Whelen in mind, not so much the short action rounds.

wunbe

Buckeye
Nice writing job. Convincing stuff but...I've already got .38 Federal, .338-06 and .35 Whelan rifles in Ruger #1s which ngeates any long/short action advantage.

They are all true North American game rifles.

wunbe

358Win

Bearcat
wunbe":1lcv16g2 said:
Nice writing job. Convincing stuff but...I've already got .38 Federal, .338-06 and .35 Whelan rifles in Ruger #1s which ngeates any long/short action advantage.

They are all true North American game rifles.

wunbe

Nice collection of game getting #1s, to bad you do not have one in 338Win Mag. I had a #1 in 300Wby and let it go and now they do not chamber the 300Wby anymore. Sure wish I had held on that that one. Sure wished they had chambered a #1 in 358Win.