That ain't no Cessna

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
Yup, it's EAA Fly-In time again. Living about 35 miles east of Oshkosh, a lot of the warbirds fly low over the house - usually in groups of 3 or 4. When the walls start to vibrate and the roar gets louder and louder, you know what's happening again.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Been there a couple of times when I still lived in Wi. Definately some pretty cool stuff and very talented pilots!

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
I'm approximately 25 miles west of Milwaukee. Always fun to see the planes flying in for the event. We see singles or sometimes formations heading that way. Now that I'm retired expect to be able to catch sight of more of them.

bogus bill

Hunter
I used to live at Eureka Wisconsin, about 15 miles west of Oshkosh airport. I loved watching the planes fly over our house going to the EAA. I probley seen the earliest ones in the 1950`s. We now live in Utah. I own a Citabria and flew it once there I think in 1977.

Son and Grandson waiting for a formation of 100 Bonanzas to land at Oshkosh
I decided to let them hang out on their own this year :(
I have been to Rockford in 1969 the next year it was moved to OSH. Took the Starduster in 73,75, then by other ways in 77,2000 then Son and I took Starduster in 2002 and Baron in 2012.
Just an Outstanding event with over 10,000 planes coming and going for the week.

11752450_1161047087244001_862939851492907965_n.jpg

The first day.
19864043591_d62ad04cb2_h.jpg

This Guy built a Spit from wood with an Allison 1410, V-12 in it. NOT an EASY task.
19673743458_1133fa7a43_h.jpg

19238599273_2e2e86a12c_h.jpg

Some pictures from EAA site.
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/airventure-2015-photos

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A late neighbor was a retired air traffic controller. He told how he and one of the guys he'd worked with for years "won the lottery" not once, but twice, in being picked to work the Oshkosh event. I've never been there, but he told me a trip there should be almost mandatory for any private pilot, and even as just an observer, it should be on my bucket list, too!

Jim, stupid non-pilot question: how in the world do they handle transient parking? I'd assume it's all reserved months ahead of time, so Trey and Chad would already know where they're going to be?

Rick C

Nope No reservations. They have areas designated for the type of plane. Such as Warbird, Homebuilt, Vintage, also camping areas for planes. Before you arrive you make a sigh telling the ground guys where you want to park. NOBODY uses the radio at anytime while flying or on the ground except the FAA. This can only be done at Osh. Trey is in the Vintage area with the 1967 Baron. The rest of the non show along with ones that want to park in that area are in what's called the North Forty. That is the area between the road on both sides of the main runway in the picture I posted. When that fills up you might have to go somewhere else.
What is really great about this event and the parking is it is done with volunteers.
Trey and Chad both volunteer for about 2-3 Hrs. a day in the Warbird area.
All the folks you see in the picture link I posted are volunteers.

Chad helping a WWII Vet in a 51 for a FREE Ride. The Pilot is from San Marcos Texas and that is what he does.

Riding around with Bud Anderson WWII Ace and author of "To Fly And Fight" His 51 was Old Crow. Yep he drinks it.

In his Honor.
9567683940_cc0ff60dcc_z.jpg

rock_and_a_hard_place.jpg

mtnman2nd

Bearcat
My first trip up was in 1980, haven't missed a trip since. If your son is camping in the North 40, post the Row number here and I'll stop by to introduce myself and say hello. I'll be there Thurs thru Sun. We camp next to Warbirds on the South side of 9/27.

He isn't camping this year. the Baron is in the Vintage area.
But thanks a bunch. They are staying in a rented house with some friends.
He and I camped the year of Sloshkosh. Boy what a mess that was. Very difficult to find a place to park a twin since non could be parked on the grass. We finally got a room for one night at the Hilton and they allowed us to park there. Since the room went from $130 to $300 the next night we broke out the tent and set up by the Hilton tie downs. We did use their facilities. :D

The Baron. N3TH

RSIno1

Hunter
On the bucket list but since I sold the straight tail 182 I doubt it'll ever make it to the top. Have a friend that goes about 1 out of 3 years in his Swift he's had for 48 years.

I am a private pilot, was a member of the EAA back in the late 70's and early 80's. They had a flyin at Tullahoma, Tn one year. Boy was that fun! I have never made it to Oshkosh. Maybe I need to plan on it! :)
gramps

mtnman2nd said:
My first trip up was in 1980, haven't missed a trip since. If your son is camping in the North 40, post the Row number here and I'll stop by to introduce myself and say hello. I'll be there Thurs thru Sun. We camp next to Warbirds on the South side of 9/27.

Sorry I forgot to add WOW 35 years that is outstanding. So what means of transport do you use to get there????
Take care,
Jim

Yep Gramps you need to go at least once. :wink: :wink: