Test & Review: TheisHolsters.com For LC9!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Hey all, i recently purchased my favorite IWB holster for CCW guns. It's very plain, simple, even kinda ugly compared to other IWB holsters ;), but it's the most comfortable, well concealing holster i've come across and trust me i've gone through my share before i found these. Not only is this my favorite type IWB holster, Mr. Theis makes every holster as you order them, and if you have any specifics, say you're a very small/large person you can write him an email or give him a call, if he doesnt answer i've always got a call back within the hour. Basically same with emails, most of the time its right away, but sometimes if he's really busy it may not be until the next day, and he's literally one of the nicest guys i've had the pleasure to find and buy products from.

He will take his time to talk to you if you need anything custom done, and he'll make adjustments as he's making the holster, for example if you're a very small guy and the holster needed to be a bit smaller so it didnt wrap around half your body, he could cut the leather backing with the connecting clips that are attached to it a bit shorter to fit your body type better.

My holster for my FNP and mags i actually needed rushed to me because i was going shooting with some friends in another state and going to be traveling. Even though he lives in a nice area, across the street is basically the slums so as soon as you leave his gated community you're by some shops/gas stations with some shady people and i didnt have a good IWB holster for my FNP so i asked him if i tossed him some extra cash (i believe it was ~20) if he could get it made and sent out the next day so i could have it by friday, the day i left for my trip. Well i talked to him sunday i believe in the evening, and since i gave him some extra money he just used most of it to ship it faster, so i placed my order sunday evening and it was sent out monday morning, arriving at my house i believe wednesday! So ~3 days from time of order i had the holster in my hands. Of course this isnt an average time I DID PAY EXTRA for this at the time because i needed it, but i'm just trying to give you a little background information so you can see what type of person he is, he really goes out of his way to make you happy and please you.

I do carry my LC9 in my pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster a lot, but there are times when it is not ideal and really slows down my draw or will print a bit too much for me depending on the shorts/pants i wear. The IWB holster works better if i have to tuck in my shirt and wear the tighter pants, if i have small pockets, or if i just wanted to be more comfortable and have some pocket space available as well as more concealment/faster draw, this is the holster to buy IMO. It rides ~4-5 o'clock position on your belt strong side obviously and it has an adjustable ride height/cant by adjusting the height of the fasteners.

There's 3 holes to switch the ride height and cant of the holster so it works out really well for anybody as it can adjust to your preference of ride height/cant.. Here's a couple pictures of the holster that i took as i got it right out from the mail, i'll take some more pictures of it in a couple weeks after it's nice and broken in too so you can see how it forms to your body and becomes even less noticeable. Even now it's comfortable and i can sit in the car for a couple hours and not even think about it, but when it's fully broken in you honestly will forget it's there since it balances the weight of the firearm over a wide area and has a lot of surface area that makes contact with the body. Here's a couple pictures though;

DSC02048.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

Sorry they're not the best pictures but i don't have a million megapixel camera so i apologize. But as you can see, even wearing a tight-fitting white tank top, you can't see any print even in this unless i bend over, and this is when it's brand new! Remember when it starts to really form to your body it's even harder to spot. With a regular shirt on, which i'll take a picture of once it's broken in and more form fitting, you'll see how well it conceals and you can get an idea of how comfortable it would be. The surface against your body is very flat, i actually usually free-ball it so the leather is on my bare skin absorbing my ass cheek sweat ;)

He offers cowhide as well which is a black backing leather instead of tan, it's softer and breaks in faster, but it is a bit thicker and if you live in a hot climate and sweat a lot like i do, the cowhide absorbs sweat and will start to smell. The horsehide doesnt do that really, if anybody would know i would ;) it really repels the sweat MUCH better and doesnt start to smell at all so far after ~9 months of everyday wear. If anything it just makes it smell more like leather as i've worn one with my FNP-40 for close to a year, same holster and still in great condition! When i take pictures of it broken in, i'll add that one just so you can see what it'll look like after being worn everyday literally for ~9 months..

In the pictures i do have the stock clips on that it comes with that go over the belt, but if you have a gun belt with velcro on the inside you can also have kydex velcro clips for this same belt as it's a gun belt with velcro along the inside, and you can attach clips that hold the holster in place, and instead of going on the outside of the belt and the clips being visible say when you have your shirt tucked in, you can instead use the velcro clips the slip in behind the belt and velcro to the back of the belt, concelaing the clips too! This is what i use for when i have to tuck in my shirt because it's completely concealed, and i'll take a picture of that as well once broken in. It's honestly my favorite design, i've tried out the expensive all leather IWB holsters and they just aren't as comfortable as these ones because they dont have as flat of a backing, and i haven't found one that is this flat against your body. Most other IWB holsters that are all leather slip into more of a pocket and is much thicker/bulkier with "thumb pushes" on them, etc. This holster uses leather so its comfortable against your body, and kydex to securely hold your gun in place, yet you can instantly draw.

You can run flat out, jump off of fences, basically do anything you could if you weren't carrying because it has great retention and keeps the gun sturdy and in place, ready to draw. It is a bit tight at first, but after about 30-40 draws to break it in a bit it becomes a bit looser and draws very nicely while still having great retention! Check them out on Theisholsters.com they are available as we speak, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mr. Theis has BY FAR the best customer service i've ever dealt with and that's saying a lot as i've dealt with many different companies and people. Mr. Theis runs this as a one man shop, he takes all orders, makes EVERY SINGLE HOLSTER BY HAND HIMSELF, takes all phone calls, returns all emails, etc. Literally THE BEST customer service. I spent ~30min. with him on the phone my first order for my FNP-40 and dual mag carrier as i explained what i'd be using it for, and he came up with what would work best, and he was right! LOVE my dual mag holster and FNP holster as well!

He puts a lot of thought into his designs, if he feels something is unsafe, for instance one guy wanted a mag holder attached to his IWB holster as well, so it would kinda be a two-in-one but having both gun and spare mag on your strong side doesn't really leave an open, clear hand to grab the spare mag without switching hands with the gun and pulling it out with your strong hand, and he believes that mag holders should ALWAYS be on your weak side for reloading, and he sets it up so you literally pull the magazine out of the holster and pop it in, no spinning or anything when you draw it out it's in your hand ready to be inserted into the gun, again just trying to give you an example of his attention to detail.

He's ~60's i'd say, IMO this matters because he is from a different generation/era where they know what "customer service" is, and believes the better each holster that he makes is, the more people are going to like them and spread the word, which is VERY true and seems to kind of been lost in the generations after, now it's about making the quick dollar. A lot of companies don't think about this as they're in it for the quick sale, but Mr. Theis does this more as a hobby, not his day job so he really puts all his effort into each of his holsters.

I will follow up on this once i have the holster more broken in, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask and if you would like to purchase one, head to Theisholsters.com!!

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
I also wanted to add that not only is the weight distributed across a large portion of the belt, giving the holster/gun more support then a IWB holster with the clips close together/one clip only, but the LC9 already is SO light that you really barely notice the gun is in the holster or not! My FNP-40 with 15 rounds of .40cal ammunition i can feel, not trying to say it pulls down on your pants or anything badly, but you notice my FNP holstered with the much added weight. This little LC9 in this little holster for it actually is already starting to form to the shape of my body a bit. It's going to take about a month for it to be FULLY broken in but it'll be mostly broken in after ~2 weeks or a little more, especially in this heat!

BTW i forgot to take a picture of just the holster and gun together which i will add ASAP to the top tomorrow, so one picture is missing. Just gives a better perspective of how it fits in the holster and you get a better view and size comparison so you can see the actual size of the holster, since it's kind of hard to judge when nothing else is in the picture with it.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I don't have a Theis for my LC9, yet.
I do have them for my SR9c and LCP (both with CT lasers).

Great holsters, Super great service and very fair prices!

Lateck,

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
I don't have a Theis for my LC9, yet.
I do have them for my SR9c and LCP (both with CT lasers).

Great holsters, Super great service and very fair prices!

Lateck,

Agreed, IMO they're great holsters and the most comfortable/concealable that i have come across. I just wanted to add a picture i should have had in the main pictures;

DSC02059.jpg

I will add more in a week or two once it's more broken in so you can see how it literally forms to your body.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Also i switched out the metal clips that you see in the picute for the kydex velcro clips that vonnect to your pants and go behing the belt instead, connected and held in place with velcro on the back of the belt. You can do this by either buying a gun belt, or when you buy the kydex clips for the holster it usually comes with a thin strip of connecting velcro, which you can put on any belt of your choice and use that belt when you want to use this holster, but i have a gun belt with velcro sown in on the inside, all the way around the belt basically, but the velcro that comes with the clips that you can just put on a belt (it's sticky on one side to kind of "glue" it to inside of a regular belt) of your choice and it works basically just as good. I havent tried it but i woukd imagine you get a little bit better support with a gun belt with it sown in since there's more velcr to make contact with, meaning the gun belt is thicker and the strip on the inside is thicker, giving it more contact. Not only that it's sown in so there's no chance of the glue possibly slipping. (it's not a "glue," but a back sticky surface that will stick to leather. etc. just like a sticker you peel the protective layer off and stick in on there and let it dry a bit)

So if you have a gun belt great, but if not you can still use the velcro concealment clips for when you have to tuck in your shirt, etc. so the clips cannot be seen even, giving you complete concealment even with your shirt tucked in.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
I also forgot to mention he makes MANY different holsters not only for the LC9, but many other Rugers/firearm manufacturers as well.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Captains1911 said:
Just curious, did he copy Crossbreed or did Crossbreed copy him?
I'm not sure if there was any "copying" going on, Crossbreed obviously has been out for a while and are very popular holsters because of their great concealment/comfort. Mr. Theis started making them around the same time i believe, but to answer your question i do believe Crossbreed came out first. I've asked him about this and he said he knows the owner of Crossbreed and said he's a good guy and makes great holsters, he said he doesn't think his are any better than a Crossbreed, and they both get along, but prefer to stay separate and not compare so they both kinda keep to themselves and don't compete.

They are very similar holsters though obviously, from just looking at them the only difference you can really tell is that Crossbreed's has a logo on theirs, but for a Crossbreed holster you have to wait ~6-7 weeks, for a Theis holster i got mine in 1 week from when i placed the order and theyre all made by one person only, whereas Crossbreed has a couple people that make theirs.

Crossbreed is definitely a larger company, no doubt, but Mr. Theis does this as a hobby and all by himself so i don' think he's really trying to "expand" his business/shop at all. Again though, they don't try to compete, Crossbreed gets their customers and they make a great holster, and so does Mr. Theis. I have a Crossbreed also for my FNP and the only difference i can tell between the two is the logo and the Crossbreed's leather seems to be a tad bit thicker.

Other than that they're very close, just a little different cuts in both of them. The Crossbreed definitely has more leather to supposedly be "more comfortable," but it sacrifices your grip area without any cost in comfort IMO, so if you do go with Crossbreed i'd HIGHLY recommend a combat cut, i got mine without and i didn't like it, was harder to draw i couldn't get as good of a grip on it so i cut it myself with an exacto knife and that fixed the problem, but the 2 main differences are the logo ;), and the thickness. (Crossbreed is a TAD thicker)

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
UPDATE: So it's been about a week wearing the holster and already it's forming to my body very nicely and has gotten even more comfortable. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when the sun is up so you can see it better, but you can really see how it form to the body already and it's not fully broken in yet!

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Sorry i haven't been able to update but i've been out of town for the past week or so.. Anyways just wanted to let you guys know i have the holster broken in very well now and it's extremely comfortable. I will be posting pictures tomorrow when i get a chance!

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
charlessummers said:
OMG! I just checked the site again... and he does make the K Frame!
Nice, i was going to say i believe he does make a holster for it but looks like you found it. If anything you can always ask and see what he says, a lot of times he's willing to work out something with you, like i said great guy to do business with and has a great product.

Also i wanted to apologize for not following up on posting the pics yet, i've been really busy lately and haven't had any time.. I'll get it up hopefully later tonight..

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
I apologize i've honestly been looking for my camera all over the place and it seems to be MIA, so i'm going to borrow a friends camera in the meantime so i can at least get this second picture documented with the holster fully broken-in so you guys can see how form-fitting it gets, as well as how well it conceals. I can now wear a tank top/white wife-beater and it's still concealed which is very impressive IMO!

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Hey all, sorry it's taken so long for this update on the holster but my camera disappeared and i just recently got another that is adequate.
Anyways i just wanted to show you some updated pictures of the holster fully broken in now;

To all you CCW permit holders out there and hunters/LEO's that want to conceal their gun, TheisHolsters.com is the holster to buy for your firearm!
Very similar to Crossbreed IWB holsters, TheisHolsters are made of either 100% horsehide or cowhide depending on what you prefer. ALL holsters are made by Mr. Theis himself, he is a one man army! He has no secretary, nothing, he does all the work himself, from taking orders online, to answering questions on the phone, to making the holsters. He does it all himself!
His holsters have regular clips that clip onto your belt, j-clips that go behind the belt and are held up by your pants and bottom of belt, and they also offer velcro clips for the ultimate conceal carry holster, tucking the clips completely behind the belt and they velcro to the back of your belt with the velcro provided, or if you have a gun belt the velcro is sown in already.
This is my 3rd holster from TheisHolsters.com that i have ordered, so all of you that are looking for "the" holster, put all those other holsters in the holster drawer and let the dust start collecting because once you use a Theis Holster you won't be going back, especially when it's broken in fully, it molds to your body and gets to the point where you don't even notice it's there! I wouldn't have 3 holsters from him if they weren't top of the line, best, most comfortable, and best concealable gun holster i've come across.
I do own a Crossbreed Holster for one of my guns, and to be honest the only slight difference i notice is Crossbreed uses a bit thicker leather for their IWB holsters, other than that i really don't notice any difference except for the time it takes to order/receive your holster.
My Crossbreed Holster took ~7 weeks to arrive once my order was placed. On all 3 holsters i've ordered from TheisHolsters.com, they all came within a week! This last holster i ordered, which I'm going to post pictures of below, i ordered it on sunday afternoon, and it was in my hands Thursday of that week! Not only does he stay on top of thing and get orders out ASAP, he has THE BEST customer service i've ever dealt with, and i'm a car/gun guy so i've dealt with A LOT of different people/companies, and Mr. Theis BY FAR is the best.
I know this sounds like an infomercial, but if you do some research on youtube, glocktalk, (even though i hate Glocks) etc. you'll see this isn't the only time i've raved about a great company. I test out a lot of products, some which haven't been released to the public yet, to do the testing for them to make sure their product functions correctly.
For example i recently tested SS guide rods out on the new Ruger LC9, which is a very similar 9MM to the kel-tec's. Everybody said it wouldn't work because they didn't work on the kel-tecs; they made contact with the barrel and ended up scuffing up both the guide rod and barrel, as well as ovaling the guide rod hole in the slide of the gun so eventually the recoil spring would pop through. So they're known to not work on kel-tec's and they ruin the slide on the gun, making it inoperable.
IMO Ruger is a much nicer, better made, higher quality gun than the kel-tec's similar single stack 9MM. With that in mind, even though they are very similar, i decided to test a SS guide rod out as i don't like the idea of a plastic guide rod that bends, gets horrible pitting in it (similar to the kel-tec) from bending excessively and hitting the barrel, and i worry about it snapping. I decided to test out the guide rod for Steve Bedair of Guiderods.com and i put well over 1k rounds through it before sending it back to him for inspection, even though i could tell all was well; no bending obviously, it didn't rub against the hole in the slide and ruin the slide like it does in the kel-tec's, and it seemed to me like it was a bit less snappy with recoil. Maybe the last part is just in my head, but with the added weight and not having the guide rod bend, i believe it does damper the recoil a bit since the spring has to travel a longer distance since the rod isn't bending.
So anyways, i do A LOT of testing of different products and just like to let people know what i have found to be the best in each category.

Here's a couple pics of my holster for my Ruger LC9 when it was brand new, i would post one for my XD but i haven't gotten around to ordering it yet since I'm sending it first to the Custom shop to have all the internals upgraded and have a match grade barrel thrown in. onto the pics, all when it was brand new!;

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

And here are some pics of it after being worn for ~6 months almost everyday;

DSC02055.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

The reason it's dirty/blackish on the inside is because i go commando and don't wear boxers/tighty whities and i live in a hot climate and wear it every time i go mountain biking so that's all from my skin/sweat. Horsehide doesn't absorb sweat barely at all so there's ABSOLUTELY NO smell to it at all which is surprising to me actually, but there isn't even a hint of bad odor.
The top couple pictures is of it brand new out of the box, and the last ~5 or so pics of it is with it fully broken-in, i took a picture of it with it standing up and off my body, the last picture here to show you how well it molds to your body. It molds so well i can wear i tight tank top, to top it off a white one, and even that is good enough to conceal the holster/gun without even seeing it and that's a picture directly where the gun/holster is and you know it's there and you still can't barely see a bulge, if you had no idea you'd never know i was carrying, and that's with a tank top to boot! Wear a t-shirt and there's no chance of it being seen.
To top it off, they hold the gun extremely firm, i can run flat out and not even worry about the gun falling out. I can do backflips while wearing it, just to show how sturdy it holds the firearm. It is easily accessible and literally feels like it snaps in and out that's how well the fitting is, so drawing the gun is no problem i've never gotten hung-up or had a problem drawing with this holster. To top it off it's the most comfortable holster i've found AND the best concealing too!
IMO it's a top of the line IWB holster, just like a Crossbreed without having to wait over a month after ordering to receive it.

Also, if there's anything "special," or out of the ordinary that you want done give Mr. Theis a email and discuss it with him, as long as it's safe and he can do it, he'll make it for you. Just FYI he will not make a holster with an extra mag holder as part of the holster; he believes that it's dangerous to do this as when it comes time to reload, you either have to reach across your body to draw the extra magazine, or you have to switch hands with the gun and draw with your shooting hand which is also dangerous so he will not make that combo (common thing people want for some reason) because in the heat of the moment reaching across your body or switching the gun to your other hand is not only slow, but it can be dangerous in a hot situation. So all magazine holders must be separate and on your weak side, but he puts a lot of thought into it, making sure the magazines are facing the proper direction, etc. so when you do go to reload, you just pull the mag. out and shove it in, no flipping the magazine around or anything, he makes the holster so when you pull the mag out it's one fluent motion, no turning the magazine or anything it's made so you don't have to do that and the magazines will only holster one direction so again he puts a lot of time/effort/thought into his products, and all his holsters really are high quality with greg craftsmanship, i'm stealing this line, but i've heard people call him the "kydex Yoda master" lol, that's how good he is, his holsters have perfect retention. Just enough to hold it sturdy doing whatever you would have to do in a tactical situation, yet easy enough to draw and not have it get caught up or anything.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me or if you're serious and looking to order, you should probably email Mr. Theis at TheisHolsters.com.. I can answer easy questions as a consumer, but any technical questions should probably be directed to him as i don't know a thing about what he does, the only thing i do know is that he makes GREAT IWB holsters and he's a SUPER nice guy, easy to talk to and very informative. All around good person!

Latest posts