Tall Ship

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jM0iy0o.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I'll bet she's gorgeous under full sail on a bright sunny day like in the picture! I see the huge Mexican flag but there's a US flag flying a bit higher. Where's she from, and what kind of story does she bring with her?

Rick C

I think that may be the Mexican Navy cadet training bark "Cuautemoc" (May not be spelt correctly, my Nahua is kinda weak...). She stopped here in Long Beach recently for a courtesy visit, and I saw her sailing past Seal Beach on her way. Probably looked sorta puny next to the USS Iowa, but she's comparable to the USCG training vessel "Eagle".

Mike nailed it. Mexican Navy training ship.

No one could get photos of her under sail as she came into the harbor on aux power.

But don't think badly of them. Here's the Eagle coming down the main channel in 2008 at the Festival of Sail.

496CeRZ.jpg

I was going to steal the same photo, but didn't know what the copyright issues are.

By the way she was commissioned by the Mexican navy and built in Barcelona Spain. Keel laid in 1982.

Our own beloved USCG Eagle's keel was laid in 1936, and originally was the Hosrt Wessel. She was named after a man who became a Nazi martyr (funny they never mentioned any of that on the tour I took in 2008).

Decommissioned at the start of the war, she was re-commissioned and served as a training ship for Nazi youth.

At the end of the war she was taken by the US as a war reparation. And that's how she ended up as a CG training ship.

I wonder if the trainees know they are continuing the tradition of the Nazi youth who also trained aboard.

When the "Eagle" was refitted for her trip from Germany to the US after the war, the German yard crew were somewhat angry and mystified about her new name. Apparently "igel" in German means "marmot"--what we call a woodchuck....

Interesting that the Mexican Navy had a training sailing ship made from scratch so late in the game. I guess they and the USCG believe in BASIC "basic training!"

(Thanks for the spelling lesson--as I say, my Nahua is kinda weak. I do know how to say that name, since I stay in that colonia when I'm in Mexico, DF and have to get the cabby pointed in the right direction when I don't take the metro in from the airport.).

Great pictures.

I was lucky enough to be in Norfolk VA. when the tall ships from around the world made a stop there. I can't remember the year early-mid 2000????. They were on their way to NYC for the parade of tall ships. Went to the docks to see them up close. Just fantastic.

Tall ships come Maine each summer some years there are more ships than others.
They stop at several ports along the Maine coast, it's quite a sight.

This is the USS Eagle Coast guard Trainer
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6e/1a/52/6e1a526e3b256c7cad80aa8feda63986.gif

caryc

Hawkeye
Beautiful ships but I don't quite understand the giant flags. I'm as patriotic as the next guy but those giant flags look a bit ridiculous to me. They're just not the right size for the ships. It just ruins a good picture.

Latest posts