Surprise BKH47

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I stopped by one of my semi usual haunts yesterday and sitting in the back of the used display is what looks like a very overpriced old Flattop. I decide to ask to look at it anyway just to take a look. After they pull it out what I thought was a fourth digit on the price tag was in fact just part of the dollar sign. After a quick once over the only issue I see with it is the orange insert someone has installed in the front sight. I don't even haggle over price based on their asking price and take it home with me. I pull out my four digit to compare serial numbers when I get home and notice there is a difference with the barrel length. I pull out my Red Eagle reference guide and find out I got an even better deal. I used this example for my wife as to why she has to know what each item in my safe is and what it is worth as this flattop was being sold as part of an estate. Even the gun shop I got if from didn't know what they had in their display. I added the serial number to the BKH47 sticky thread for reference.

I have found one or two of the old flat top 7 1/2" guns at shops or pawn shops for good prices in the past. I agree, they do not realize what they have. Buddies talked me out of all mine so I am on the lookout for another one or a decent 6 1/2" that I can swap barrels on JUST FOR MY OWN ENJOYMENT, NOT FOR RESALE. Did not want anyone thinking the old switcheroo would be pulled. :D

Russ45

Bearcat
Great find. Congratulations. A few years ago I stumbled on a BKH47, with box, papers, and shipper (with hand written s/n on box and shipper). Found at a local pawn shop, and they had no idea what they had ... he said it was like new and from the late 50's. Actually, January 1960 per Ruger letter. Got a great deal on it.

chet15

Hawkeye
Russ45 said:
Great find. Congratulations. A few years ago I stumbled on a BKH47, with box, papers, and shipper (with hand written s/n on box and shipper). Found at a local pawn shop, and they had no idea what they had ... he said it was like new and from the late 50's. Actually, January 1960 per Ruger letter. Got a great deal on it.

That is a rare find indeed!!! Only know of maybe 4 or five complete with the shipper. Two of those shippers have white paper on at least the outside.
What's the number on your gun??
Chad

Russ45

Bearcat
Chad:

Don't want to take away from the OPs fine BKH47 find, but here is a photo of the box/shipper/paperwork and the BKH47. The box is worn on one side and someone put a small amount of tape on it. Shipper is showing its age, but you can still read the s/n: 18342. I put it in the latest s/n post.

Sorry for the poor phone pictures, this is all I had access to at moment. Pictures were taken when I purchased a couple years ago.