Suppresed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trauma1

Single-Sixer
Just picked up, well paid for - waiting on the feds to give me my stamp, a Silencerco Sparrow SS suppressor. Who shoots suppressed and what do you shoot?

alpha2

Bearcat
I've got an SR22 threaded barrel, and a Tactical Inovations .22lr can that I use with it and various other .22 cal firearms. It's way fun to just hear the action cycling and then "ding" at the target.

Good luck, one day I may get one... actually I own one... but the Feds decided I could not process it... B.S. and for the last two years too much other stuff to deal with to really push it. To use some bad language.... the whole system even if you think NFA system is okay is still ass backwards... you have to buy a suppressor before you can submit the paperwork for approval... So far I have over $800 dollars invested in getting one and don't have it. In fact the dealer re-sold the one I bought from him.... then, even though the Federal government said no, they have not returned my $200.

9x19

Hunter
Cost/benefit doesn't add up for my uses... I've shot with other's and they just don't do much for me.

If they ever relax the NFA '34 requirements, that would be a nudge, but honestly the asking prices for the silencers themselves are the biggest bump in the road for me. I just can't justify $800 for a tube full of fancy washers and a spring! :mrgreen:

abumpa

Bearcat
Gemtec Outback on a MK III 22/45

I also have a 10-22 , a Savage bolt action, and a S&W AR-15 22 all with threaded barrels for the Gemtec.

DPris

Buckeye
Sparrow here, so far on a 22/45 and a CZ 455.
Soon on the new Charger. : )
Denis

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Does a good set of earplugs count? Haha!
On my 10/22 with a polymer buffer , all i hear is the clickity clack of the action!

1022Good

Bearcat
AAC Element 2 with 22/45 Lite and 1022 Takedown

2014-12-26141056a_zps67d6b8f2.jpg

JFB

Hunter
9x19 said:
Cost/benefit doesn't add up for my uses... I've shot with other's and they just don't do much for me..... I just can't justify $800 for a tube full of fancy washers and a spring! :mrgreen:

I didn't shot others first and spent the big bucks. :( I could have gotten a nice gun for the same. Now I have something "expensive" that will need to be destroyed to get rid of :?
surpressedhost_zps72e3c3f3.jpg

AAC Pilot 2;
20" fluted barrel 77/22 scoped
16" 10/22 with sights
16" 10/22 scoped
22/45

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
trauma1 said:
Just picked up, well paid for - waiting on the feds to give me my stamp, a Silencerco Sparrow SS suppressor. Who shoots suppressed and what do you shoot?

The question sounds simple enough. "Who shoots suppressed and what do you shoot?" Didn't see anything about whose to cheap to get one in there. :roll: I use this one on my Ruger Mark III 22/45 RP. This suppressor is made 50 miles south of me at Lauer Manufacturing in Chippewa Falls, WI. Steve Lauer is the guy who manufactures and sells Dura-Coat. Total cost with the tax stamp was $550.00, so I don't think that was bad at all. Just for grins, I threaded the muzzle end on an extra barrel I have for my Ruger 77/22 bolt rifle. When I loaded 10 rounds of CCI Quiet in the magazine, the only sound I could hear (no muffs required) was the bullets hitting the paper target and back stop. Quite impressive. Now when feral cats wander over onto my empire, they never hear that fatal shot coming in the form of a small piece of lead going pretty fast. Actually in some European countries a silencer is mandatory to have on firearms so neighbors are not disturbed by the sound of gunfire.

I had intentions for a suppressed SR22 for the trapline UNTIL I saw the dinky little screw that holds the barrel to the frame. Alternately, we went with a 22/45 LITE threaded. Way more bulky than I wanted but more durable in my opinion.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I have several .22lr cans, and feel the 3 best today are the Silencerco Sparrow SS, SWR Spectre II, and AAC Element 2.

The Sparrow is my favorite all around can because it can be cleaned so easily. It takes down with no tools easily every time, and the shells can be cleaned with a quarter in vice grips. The Spectre is a little more quiet and has way less first round pop, but is longer and harder to clean.

Also pictured are a Liberty Kodiak TL and Mystic (the 9mm can).

Assembled

Apart

Closeup of the two .22 cans

rj112275

Bearcat
Shooting suppressed is nice with large calibers, but shooting 22LR subsonic suppressed is THE BOMB!!!!! In Tennessee and many other states, it's legal to hunt with suppressed firearms. Hearing your 22 slug hit a squirrel is great. It doesn't upset the woods and I'm able to often sit in one place and get close to a limit. No hearing protection needed. I've also been able to dispatch varmints around the house without the attention of a firearm going off.

I will only own firearms with threaded barrels. I have some 300BLK stuff and it will kill deer as needed.

Right now my go-to 22LR suppressor is a Gemtech Outback IID. I also have a Griffin Checkmate. Both are great, and I'm in the process of ordering a Spectre. No fun to hunt suppressed, if your buddy can't.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
I had intentions for a suppressed SR22 for the trapline UNTIL I saw the dinky little screw that holds the barrel to the frame. Alternately, we went with a 22/45 LITE threaded. Way more bulky than I wanted but more durable in my opinion.

Interesting. I've actually had two local trappers who both bought SR22 pistols to carry along on their trap lines. I guess those pistols work much better dispatching skunks rather than the flat side of a hatchet, which would be too close and personal I suspect? :lol: