Super BlackHawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
Just bought a 5 1/2" Stainless Super BlackHawk in .44 mag. to go with my Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Gun looks almost new with only a few marks in the fake stag grips. Checking prices it looks like I got a decent deal at $400. No box or papers. Just got in under Illinois new law about f/f sales.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Hey BlackHawk: Sounds like a good deal for you and the seller. I think your stainless finish makes this a better outdoor gun and really increases value too.
I have a 5 1/2" blue model that is a really nice. I really like the wide hammer and the slick action on my earlier model. Blue and polishing is also better than standard Ruger Blackhawks.

While shooting some hot Hornady rounds in my 44 Blackhawk, intended for my 44mag Marlin, I overdid it and experienced a little nerve shock. For about a week, my right thumb was not working properly and I could hardly pick up anything without dropping it. It was then that after many years I gained appreciation for how important the thumb is to us. Several months later, I saw a sportsman channel TV show in which the presenter made a big point when shooting the big magnum loads, only shoot 5-6 rounds during a shooting session. I had shot up several 20 round boxes at one session.

I think these guns shine with a load like this. This could be duplicated by an experienced handloader using Beartooth Bullets: http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44defendertech.html

Enigma

Hunter
mjpchief said:
My old hands and wrists have been beat and bruised for 64 yrs. That will probably limit me to light loads and 44 specials.

I recently finished shooting up a box of quite stout .45 Colt loads through my Blackhawk. They make my wrist hurt, and are just no fun to shoot in that 4-5/8" gun. I see a lot of near factory level loads in my future with that gun.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...

I suffered a stress fracture in my right wrist many years ago from shooting way too many full-power loads through way too many handguns.

I always shoot any full-power loads with a shooting glove with the wrist strap tightly secured unless hunting.
I also use a spring-loaded hand grip to strengthen my hands.

Both measures work in conjunction with one another.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The Garrett loads posted above at 1000 fps are claimed to be adequate for bear defense or hunting at 50 yards. I believe that they are manageable but I wouldn't be shooting very many at one time. 240 gr SWC at 750-800 sounds more like the range practice/fun load. They idea of shooting glove with shock absorber and the grip exerciser also work for me.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I don`t like to shoot those Ruger only loads in my guns either.
I shoot lots of heavy bullets but with moderate loadings. If I were packing in bear country that would change and I would have a heavy load that would do the job if needed.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Yep, I also had a 44 Mag Marlin Guide Gun, which was made in limited numbers. Shrunk down version of the 45-70 Guide Gun. Nice little rifle but just kept the stainless 30-30 which is a little more versatile. Still have the early model 5.5" barrel Super Blackhawk.

Latest posts