Super Blackhawk Trigger Guard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I hope this is not a dumb question that I should already know the answer to, but what is the reason behind the shape of the trigger guard on Super Blackhawks? It seems as though a fairly significant percentage of shooters dislike it. Does it have a positive side to it?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bill Ruger copied the sq back trigger guard, the long grip frame and the name Dragoon grip from the cap & ball Colt Dragoon because he liked them.

I prefer the round guard on the SBH Hunter models.

The Bearcat size and grip shape was based on the cap and ball Remington pocket model. But named after the Stutz Bearcat car. He loved old cars.

DGW1949

Hunter
ditto1958 said:
I hope this is not a dumb question that I should already know the answer to, but what is the reason behind the shape of the trigger guard on Super Blackhawks? It seems as though a fairly significant percentage of shooters dislike it. Does it have a positive side to it?

It has a positive side if you like the extra weight, longer grip surface, and increased trigger guard distance which it affords. Plus, a lot of folks thinks it looks cool.

Myself, I've been shooting Colt-sized SA's since I was knee high to a grass hopper, and have always found the Colt/Ruger XR-3 grip-shape to be near-about perfect, so I got's no use for anything different...but that's just me, and I ain't you. :wink: .

DGW

Armybrat

Buckeye
Last year I bought the 5.5" SBH with the rounded trigger guard. However the grip length was too short for my hand while shooting magnum loads, so ordered a SBH Hunter grip frame:

208354b84ca8dcee167dbd0a0945bee17a19a19.jpg

It is a much more comfortable fit now:

61d1594ede1eb50022d29f6f18d897d449e7fa6.jpg

SPBhawk

Single-Sixer
I have one, the SBH 7.5bbl square guard... At first it would hit my finger, but after shooting it and figuring out a proper grip (for me) I have to say it is the best shooting SBH for me of all of them. I have shot the round guard bisley 7.5bbl and the 5.5 bbl round guard SBH. Give it some time, you might figure out how to hold it and make it work for you.

I've had one for a lot of years. Had mine cut down to 5.5" I tend toward a high hold, so just about any Single action I shoot my knuckle is going to get whacked even the bisley. But I do like the fact that it has a longer grip. I would like a SBH hunter grip. Should have done that a long time ago.

No sir there was not a blued version but that is just talking about from the factory. A number of folks had have the SBH squared off back corner cut and reshaped to the match the SS Hunter style and most any of the good 'smiths can do this modification.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I, for one, like the squared back trigger guard:

Hold the gun in your shootin' hand and rotate the barrel upward as in recoil, and n otice how your middle finger sort of rides down the trigger guard.

Bob Wright

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
I tend toward a high hold, so just about any Single action I shoot my knuckle is going to get whacked even the bisley.

Pretty common to hear this - the Bisley gives the most real-estate of the Ruger grip frames to keep a hold of the revolver, but it also has the shortest span behind the trigger guard, so your knuckle is closer, and more readily whacked.

Personally, I've never felt any contact, but I will admit, when I was shooting SBH's for CAS/SASS when I was just starting out, I would get a fine blister/callus/dry skin patch on the back of my knuckle - so I must have been making at least a little contact, just not enough to feel it or cause pain.

flattop44

Buckeye
Elmer Keith and Herb Glass both recommended the Dragoon square back trigger guard to Bill Ruger when he was designing the Super. Elmer wanted him to name it the "Dragoon" but Bill decided on Super Blackhawk. I have shot one for years with no problem at all....just depends on the shooter and shooter's hands I guess.
FT44

Maverick

Bearcat
I prefer the square trigger guard. I think they look better and also offer a better more stable platform for shooting. To each his own.

IMG_0458.jpg

Latest posts