Super Blackhawk Hunter from Davidson's -?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USAFA71

Bearcat
Should be delivered today or tomorrow. Will be companion to my Marlin FG. Just wondering if you have one, any comments on how you like it, did you scope it and with what scope, how was accuracy, what loads you use, any other info you care to share? I have always leaned toward non-standard calibers. Prefer 257 Roberts for deer, 16 gauge for most birds, and 41 Mag for pistol hunting.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
Bisley Hunter - 2x Leupold Scope - 240 gr Hornday XTP's over max or near-max H110 load. CCI Large Pistol Magnum primers. Groups under 2" at 100, with a few groups going around 1.5"

If you prefer .41 Mag for hunting, there was a .41 Mag hunter (can't remember Bisley or regular) on the board here that I never saw sell, though it may have or it may have sold elsewhere. Price was reasonable, too.

Yetiman

Bearcat
I have a Bisley Hunter 44 I bought just over a year ago. It rapidly became my -favorite- gun to shoot, though that often happens with what I have recently bought. But the Hunter is different.

I have been shooting 240 gr lead from ACME and SNS, and 300 grain Hornady XTP's. Accuracy has been excellent. Last summer I was shooting at 25 and 50 yards, and occasionally at 75 and 100.

I briefly had a Burris 2-7 x 32 scope mounted, then tried a Burris FastFire 3 with a 3 moa dot with their mount that uses the dovetail on the rib. The Burris FF3 looks goofy, but it works great.

I got better accuracy with the scope at longer ranges, but the FF3 is much lighter (as in almost not there) and much quicker on target. My goal was to get ready for Deer hunting, and the set up worked well. With the red dot, shooting from a sitting position with just my forearm supported (as it would be in my hunting stand) I can consistently put six 300 grain Hornady's into less than 3 inches at 50 yards.

My only complaints with the gun have been that there is a bit of creep in the trigger. I put in a lighter trigger return spring which lightened the pull, but also made the creep stand out more. I also had the base pin jump on me once and lock up the gun. I replaced the latch spring with a stronger one and it hasn't happened again, even with a steady diet of 300 grain XTP's.

I had a very successful Deer season with the Hunter, and am looking forward to November again.

I like (love?) the gun enough that it is currently at Clements Custom Guns for a deluxe tune up package plus having the barrel gap and end shake reduced.

USAFA71

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! I have an older Leupold 4X pistol scope I will try since I already have it and like more Xs for load development from the bench. But I was hoping for some kind of red dot for speed when hunting, and I didn't know that Burris made the FF3 with a mount that would fit on the Ruger. Thanks for that input Yetiman- my gun may thank you, but my bank account is about to get upset! Got the gun yesterday and the trigger was good for a single action, but also had some creep. May need the help of a good gunsmith for that.

Again, thanks for the info - looking forward to more!

rcramden

Bearcat
This is my .41 hunter. Found the Leupold 2x on fleabay for a decent price. Love it, I think the large frame handles the recoil smoothly. Goes great with my "S" model.

s4s4u

Hunter
Had a Bis Hunter in 41. Didn't care for the balance with the scope location on the barrel at all. And good luck finding a hip holster for it with a scope mounted there. It was accurate tho.

USAFA71

Bearcat
Looking forward to shooting the Ruger tomorrow. Will have to use iron sights until I can get a scope or red dot installed. I thought that a scope unbalance the gun, so I was thinking of going to a red dot. Sorry, but being past 60 years old, I need some visual enhancements to shoot! Leaning toward the Burris as mentioned by Yetiman since the weight is low, and I could always use the rear mount if needed, which might balance better.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Love mine and have had it for a few years now.

Blackhawk41mag-a.jpg

But I must admit it is one of many magnums I own and love them all.

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
If it is like mine will soon be one of your favorites. The Bisley currently has a scope on it, 2x Weaver. Works good for me and fits a budget. I use BEARPAW stocks on all my Blackhawks. Mine seem to like pretty much any 240-265 cast with H110.
Kevin

USAFA71

Bearcat
Forgot to add on the original post that my Marlin, and now my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter are in 41 Magnum, not 44Magnum, but I still appreciate any input on the Super Black Hawk, regardless of caliber.