Strange to me MK II bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LowRiderRed

Bearcat
Need a little help here folks. I sent my Mk II to Ruger about 3 weeks ago because the "ears" came off the bolt. It was a 2-piece bolt in a stainless 6 7/8" tapered barrel pistol. Ruger customer service was outstanding and had the gun back to me in 13 days with a real Mk II bolt, which I was surprised at.

The bolt has the eagle (Phoenix?) etched on the back of the bolt, something I've never seen before on a stainless bolt. The only evidence I can find of a similar bolt is on a blued pistol, I believe it's the NRA Endowment model.

The gunsmith at Ruger called and asked me if I wanted this bolt and specifically told me it's a Mk II bolt and one of the few he had left. Can anyone help me determine how many of those bolts are out there with the bird on the back? Has anybody ever seen one in stainless? Do I have some kind of freak bolt? Is it worth a million bucks? Should I throw the whole pistol in the river? I'll hang up and listed. Thanks folks.

DUNTOV

Single-Sixer
LowRiderRed said:
Need a little help here folks. I sent my Mk II to Ruger about 3 weeks ago because the "ears" came off the bolt. It was a 2-piece bolt in a stainless 6 7/8" tapered barrel pistol. Ruger customer service was outstanding and had the gun back to me in 13 days with a real Mk II bolt, which I was surprised at.

The bolt has the eagle (Phoenix?) etched on the back of the bolt, something I've never seen before on a stainless bolt. The only evidence I can find of a similar bolt is on a blued pistol, I believe it's the NRA Endowment model.

The gunsmith at Ruger called and asked me if I wanted this bolt and specifically told me it's a Mk II bolt and one of the few he had left. Can anyone help me determine how many of those bolts are out there with the bird on the back? Has anybody ever seen one in stainless? Do I have some kind of freak bolt? Is it worth a million bucks? Should I throw the whole pistol in the river? I'll hang up and listed. Thanks folks.

I know the stainlesss came on the 50th Anniversary model, I have seen them on 22/45 models also, mainly blued 22/45

eveled

Hawkeye
Yep, they came on the 50th anniversary model. Nice upgrade for your gun IMHO, I think they are sharp looking.

Sad to hear the mkII s are no longer being supported, glad you got yours fixed.

You were VERY fortunate to get a MKII bolt of any kind. You're the first person I've heard of getting a MKII bolt from Ruger in years. Didn't know they had any left. I've had two replaced over several years and I got MKIII bolts.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
LowRiderRed said:

I was also told by Ruger Customer Service that the supply of Ruger Mark II bolts had dried up and were no longer available. I do a preventative fix to keep those two part bolts from separating because of Ruger telling me that the Mark II bolts were no longer available and they would be replacing separated bolts with Ruger Mark III bolts Well, the Mark III bolts have the LCI cut-out in 'em and the smaller diameter bolt ears. So, I imagine the Mark IV bolts also have the smaller diameter bolt ears,but obviously no cut-out for the LCI. Another person on a different web-site told me that Ruger is replacing all two-piece Mark II bolts on pistols sent in for any repair or drilling and tapping. He wrote that his pistol can back drilled and tapped but the two-piece Mark II bolt was replaced with a Mark III style bolt. I don't recommend that anyone send their original two-piece Mark II bolt for that reason, unless of course, the bolt ears came off.
The whole first year of production involving the 22/45 pistols, I believe, had the bolt like on the left below, in blued carbon steel. The stainless steel bolts, like on the right were only found on some commemorative Mark II pistols. Exact numbers of "eagled bolt ears" that are out there is gonna be a tough one to nail down.

I have four of the five different 22/45 models with stainless uppers. I guess this explains why only my KP514 has a blue bolt and the rest have stainless bolts. The bolt logo is one of the things I've always liked about the 22/45s.