still confused...which diameter??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike56

Single-Sixer
I have 3 newer rugers, in .45colt.

Need to buy bullets again. Without slugging the barrel, what is the most likely diameter I need? .452, .454?

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Same as 45 ACP. If you're buying lead you'll be way better off finding out what your throats and bore actually are before settling on a size.

mike56

Single-Sixer
Still confused.
.45acp bullets are .451

Commercial .45lc are .452 or .454

Kanook

Buckeye
Ive been running .452 in mine with great success for years.

Kanook

Buckeye
I use 451 in my 45acp and 452 in all LC but one Smith 5 screw

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Since they are "newer", most likely you want .451 for jacketed and .452 for cast or swaged. You didn't say what type you are looking to buy.

Rclark

Hunter
.452 for both .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Your barrels will all be the same. Ruger is consistent on that. The cylinder throats though are the problem area. Most need to be reamed to .4525 as they are usually on the small side. Only in overly large throats (which is very unusual now adays) would you have to bump up to .454.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Most of the later vintage (2010 and newer) throats that I have checked, have been fine. It was the predecessors that nearly all had tight throats.

And, in my experience even the earlier guns were generally hunting accurate with .452 lead.

Enigma

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
Most of the later vintage (2010 and newer) throats that I have checked, have been fine. It was the predecessors that nearly all had tight throats.

And, in my experience even the earlier guns were generally hunting accurate with .452 lead.

FWIW, my son recently bought a stainless Bisley convertible .45; the throats of the .45 Colt cylinder are all undersize. He'll be sending it to Cylindersmith.

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
I've used .451 jacketed and .452 lead in my Blackhawk Convertible since 1979.
Everyone who has fired it finds it to be extremely accurate. Even first timers.

7mmb

Bearcat
45 Colt revolvers went to .452" barrels after WWII. Since Sturm Ruger didn't open its doors until 1949 it's safe to assume that all of its 45 Colt revolvers are .452". Throat dimensions on the other hand are anyone's guess.

mikld

Blackhawk
Without knowing what size your barrel is? Yep, use the .450", .451", and the .452"...
When I buy pants or tires for my truck, I know what size is needed, so why not bullets?

mikld

Blackhawk
Wyandot Jim said:
mikld said:
Without knowing what size your barrel is? Yep, use the .450", .451", and the .452"...
When I buy pants or tires for my truck, I know what size is needed, so why not bullets?
Ruger and most other makers of modern Colt 45s make the barrel .452
Old SAA were .454
There is absolutely no down side to knowing the dimensions of your gun. I hear it all the time "each gun is different" when talking about load data, so why wouldn't each bore be unique in some respects. I couldn't care less if someone won't measure their gun and only use "hear say" to determine what is needed, but it's silly to use the "one size fits all" approach. Reloaders will double check loads when dealing with the exact same powder, but with a different lot number, so why would measuring the gun be a waste of time and "use whatever bullet size your brother-in-law's cousin used". I was a precision machinist for a number of years and just because the blue print says .452" plus .0015", minus .0005",doesn't mean every .452" dimension is exactly .452".

In real life the OP would prolly be ok using any size of bullets he noted, and may or may not hit the "perfect" size for his guns, but I for one want to know, not "what I read on the internet"...

BTW, knowing the cylinder throat deminsion is just as important and mebbe more important than barrel groove diameter...