Stay at home Ruger build 38-40 modern Antique

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GarrettJ

Bearcat
Onty said:
What is cylinder length from front to rear face? Do 10mm/40 rounds go into cylinder full length, as in counterbored cylinders for rimmed cartridges?
I can't comment on the OP's revolver, but I have a Buckeye Blackhawk and one of the more recent 10mm/.40 revolvers as well. All of the cylinders are cut so the case protrudes out about the thickness of the rim. Or in other words, none are counterbored for the rim. Having another revolver that does have counterbored chambers, I prefer them without. It's easier to look at the gap at the rear of the cylinder and see if there are cartridges in the cylinder or not.

Onty

Single-Sixer
GarrettJ said:
Onty said:
What is cylinder length from front to rear face? Do 10mm/40 rounds go into cylinder full length, as in counterbored cylinders for rimmed cartridges?
I can't comment on the OP's revolver, but I have a Buckeye Blackhawk and one of the more recent 10mm/.40 revolvers as well. All of the cylinders are cut so the case protrudes out about the thickness of the rim. Or in other words, none are counterbored for the rim. Having another revolver that does have counterbored chambers, I prefer them without. It's easier to look at the gap at the rear of the cylinder and see if there are cartridges in the cylinder or not.
Thanks for this info, never had a chance to see 10mm/40 Blackhawk. I also prefer non counterbored cylinders for the same reason; I can see cartridges.

If I have a chance to get 10mm/40 Blackhawk (they are hard to get in my neck of the woods), first thing I will do is to ream 40 cylinder into 401 Powermag.

I can't comment on the OP's revolver, but I have a Buckeye Blackhawk and one of the more recent 10mm/.40 revolvers as well. All of the cylinders are cut so the case protrudes out about the thickness of the rim. Or in other words, none are counterbored for the rim. Having another revolver that does have counterbored chambers, I prefer them without. It's easier to look at the gap at the rear of the cylinder and see if there are cartridges in the cylinder or not.[/quote]

I do have both revolvers, the buckeye and 10mm, with extra cylinders, and yes with the 10mm ( both) and 40S&W cylinders you can see the head of the cartridges, which makes it easy to ream any of the factory cylinders out to another caliber. I do understand the 38-40 is not a huge powerhouse, it's just in my opinion a great classic cartridge, and I have a special place for antique cartridges. I'm on temporary hold, waiting to get to my friends place to do the reaming, but I really like the front Fibre optic green sight, and bulls eye peep rear. The belt mountain base pin really tightened up the firearm also. More soon ( hopefully)