Standard .22 pistol with pin out of place in grip frame.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
This pistol, a 1953 manufacture date, came to me with Franzite grips which were hollow on the inside in places. This allowed a pin, near the top left side grip screw, to back out of place. Now, when I am going to replace the Franzites with original, the pin does not allow grip panel on left side to mount. So, just slide the pin back into place....right? Wrong! There appears to be a spring blocking the hole. Not having an exploded diagram I cannot be sure but I believe the pin is a pivot pin for the sear or the sear spring stop pin?? I located an exploded diagram so now need to go back to the pistol to see which pin is protruding. Can anyone direct me on replacing this pin without damaging anything?
Thanks, David

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Waiting for a reply here I got antsy and decided to take a look. I disassembled the pistol. I was lucky that the sear spring was on the side opposite from where the pin needed to go. I cleaned the hole up and what I thought was something blocking the hole was just dirt. I used a plastic ballpoint pen to pry the pin over and it popped into place. I tested the pistol for the first time and it functions as a Ruger should. So, I apolo gize for being premature asking for assistance. Lesson learned. Dave

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Here a parts view.

If you would like to continue using the Franzite grips, just put a piece of cellophane tape over that sear pin on each side of the grip frame and that will keep the pin from wandering either right or left.
The factory grips are normally what keeps that pin from drifting as it is a "slip-fit" in the grip frame and can move quite easily if not restricted.

Latest posts