Stainless 44 Mag Bisley Vaquero questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Led Junkie

Bearcat
Hey there everyone! This is my first SA pistoland I've read through most of the posts I think concerning the 44 Mag in this section but still have questions.
I posted a pic in the Bisley thread but I want a bit more information. From what I read the Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag are no longer in production and mine being Stainless is all steel frame. I read that it was made, based on the serial number prefix 57, in 2000. Is there anyone who may tell me approximatly how many were made in the Bisley style, I see many with the imitation Ivory grips but not many with the rosewood grips. Can anyone help me pin down the month it was made too?

I'm rounding up the needed items to reload the 44 Mag as it is a new round for me. I cast too so that is the last thing I need is a nice mold. I haven't made it to the range yet but that will change this weekend though. I've struck out on ammo 2x at different stores including wal-mart, but should be successful at the Academy in town. It takes a bunch of money to buy a new caliber gun then invest in everything to load it but it is worth it.
Here is my new member of the family, I hope you like as much as I do!
10710659914_0df894af73_c.jpg

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
That front sight is surely lower than the one on my 44MAG sixgun. I think someone went slightly overwraught with a file. That gun will probably shoot a bit high.....but then again good Lord willing and the crick doesn't rise, it'll be right - on - the- money !!!

That's a nice looking piece. I'd stay with the lighter loads like 240 and below till you get a feel for where you are hitting. Heavier loads tend to hit higher but drop quicker. Ruger produced darn few 44 mags (relatively speaking with 45 colt and 357 being the higher quantities) but I don't have numbers and of those the Bisley configuration is even lower in numbers. I believe it will serve you well.

Led Junkie

Bearcat
Thanks for the info! When I got it home I looked at the front sight under a loupe to see if it had been filed and couldn't see any left over serrations made by a file so if it had been lowered then the person that had done the work polished it well. I guess I can always replace the frontsight if it has been overworked.

I'll be shooting factory ammo until I can get some ammo loaded up. I have a few different powders to use and will get a pound of Trailboss too. I've had a hard time finding 2400 or Unique. I did purchase some Alliant Power-Pro 300 and read good things about it so we will see.

Thanks for the help! Any mold suggestions would be great too.

6gun

Hunter
Ruger did stop making the 44mag Vaquero when they started making the new Vaquero, think it was because the new Vaquero can't handle the power of a 44mag.

I have 2 Vaquero 44mags. but mine are not the Bisley model, Trailboss powder works very well for making light target loads a full can of it weighs less than a pound so ask for a can not a pound of it at your LGS or they will think you don't know what your doing, I also use Winchester 231 a great 44mag. powder, when I want to warm things up for lots of good strong power I use Winchester 296, I don't use Unique, lots of people like it but to me it's a dirty nasty powder I don't like to use.

Led Junkie

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip on the trail boss 6gun, I knew it was lighter and filled the case, but I didn't know it was sold by volume.

I use a fair bit of hp38 which is the same as Win231 in my 9mms, so I'll have to try that as well.

Thanks again for the help.

I really like this pistol, I take it out and admire it quite often lol!

6gun

Hunter
You mean you really like your revolver, only semi-auto's are called pistols now days, I know it's confusing we'll get you straightened out here. :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
Sam Colt didn't invent the revolver but he marketed his 1836 creation as a "revolving pistol". That's good enough for me.

Led Junkie

Bearcat
Either way fellas I am really loving this weapon (hows that?) lol It is so sexy looking, I mean in a world of black plastic, this thing jumps out and says Boy Howdy!

Thanks again, I'm going to read some more on Cast Boolits I haven't been there in a while so I need to drop by, I'm a devout lurker btw.

Led Junkie said:
Either way fellas I am really loving this weapon (hows that?) lol It is so sexy looking, I mean in a world of black plastic, this thing jumps out and says Boy Howdy!

Thanks again, I'm going to read some more on Cast Boolits I haven't been there in a while so I need to drop by, I'm a devout lurker btw.
Welcome to the forum. Oh yeah you will enjoy that gun!
gramps

Led Junkie

Bearcat
Took it to the range and it shot point of aim @ 10 yrds and 1.5" high to the left (The pulling left was most likely me) @ 25 yrds with factory Winchester 240gr white box ammo. Very fun to shoot and recoil wasn't overpowering as I thought it may be. The Ruger soaked it up easily, so much so my 11 year old fired 12 rounds nearly shooting out the bulls eye @ 10 yards.

I cannot wait to get me a mold and start cranking out cheap ammo.

Shooting the 9mm after the 44 Mag felt like shooting a 22Lr. I was thinking wow, no recoil lol. No shock wave either :D It was almost no fun...But I'm lying shooting anything is fun:D

Thanks for all the help and kind words, we'll see ya'll round.

6gun

Hunter
Vaquero's are well know to shoot low and left, mine do, your shooting high cause the front sight was filed down, a less powerful load will bring your shots down, I think someone made the sight work with a certain cowboy load, once you start loading your own cast rounds you might be able to come up with a load to match the sight.

Led Junkie

Bearcat
That sounds good to me. I was happy I am hitting paper with some consistency. Building a load will be fun, it will let me become more familiar with it too.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
They must not have been great sellers. I bought a stainless Bisley 4 5/8" .44 magnum on sale from Davidsons in the fall of '06 for under 400 total.The test fire date was 9/10/01, the last day of liberty.

robertkirksey said:
They must not have been great sellers. I bought a stainless Bisley 4 5/8" .44 magnum on sale from Davidsons in the fall of '06 for under 400 total.The test fire date was 9/10/01, the last day of liberty.

Robert they are very poor sellers. Because I like you I'd send you $450 for that lonely Bisley. :) If it were anyone else I'd only offer $350.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
They remind me of the Jeep Scrambler. They sat on the lots forever, but now bring a premium. I appreciate your generous offer, but I think I will keep it.

Latest posts