SR9c sight adjustments

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SRT2

Bearcat
Do the sights normally have to be adjusted new out of box
or are they typically right on.

Also, what is the approximate trigger pull on a new SR9c?

Curley Red

Bearcat
At 15 yards mine shoots to the right about 3 or 4 inches out of the box. I've had different people shoot it and all with the same results.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
The rear sight is drift adjustable for windage.

Remove the slide and clamp it down on a padded work surface.

Get a 5/64" hex key and loosen the set screw at the front of the sight's base. Put a set of pencil marks on the base and the slide so you can track sight movement against POI shift.

The book says to tap the sight with a wooden or plastic tipped hammer. I think you want to use a hardwood dowel so that the direction of tapping force goes exactly left/right and none goes downward towards the slide, which won't help move the sight. If you keep breaking dowels, then maybe a brass drift. That might leave some brass moarks on the sight, but those should scrub off afterwards. Do try dowels first. I never tried a plastic drift (like Delrin). That might work, too.

The sight may be quite tight. Clamping the slide down helps make sure all the force from the hammer goes into the sight base.

Once you are happy with the adjustment, tighten the sigth locking screw back down.

ShannonNVA

Bearcat
Mine are a bit off (low right, about 3 inches as 7 yards). But I have to admit I'm a horrid shot. Been shooting shotgun for a longtime, which doesn't help your pistol shooting. I'm working more now on tighter groups and I figured I would wait until I get a couple thousand rounds through the gun before changing anything. (reduce the variables) At a few hundred a week it won't be long until I get there.

A

Anonymous

Mine shot low left, but I knew it might be me, so I waited, bought another pistol, and fired low left with it, too. So did some reading, found out I maybe wasn't following thru when squeezin' the trigger. Worked on that and now the 9c and the other gun are dead on.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Mine hits a little to the right, still need to adjust.
My trigger tested at 5 lbs 9 0z
SR9c19.jpg

A

Anonymous

fastexas said:
So how do you ajust the front sights?

I had to do this on my SR40c since it was shooting 3-4" right @ 10 yards. The front sight was visibly too far left on the slide. What I did was remove the slide from the frame and remove the spring and barrel. I clamped the slide in a vice using cardboard on each side to protect the slide from the vice. Using a hammer and punch I gradually drifted the front sight until it appeared centered on the slide.

I then reassembled it and took it to the range for testing. IT was right on the money at that point but if it weren't one could always fine tune it with the rear sight at that point using the same procedure.