Bearcat
snakespit, Here are some barrel pics:

barrelr.png

barrel2.png

barrel3.png

barrel4.png

ohwell

Bearcat
I put 100 rounds thru my SR9C today and than looked and saw what looked to be the same thing on my slide. A little Hoppes 9 on a patch cleaned it right off for me. Can you feel chips and what did you clean the outside of your slide with?

Ruger Mom

Bearcat
Wanted to check in and let you all know that I got my SR9C back from Ruger today. They replaced the barrel and slide as the "fix". There was a note stating they shot 40 rounds after they replaced those pieces. There is no chipping and the gun looks great. I would suggest calling Ruger for anyone having this problem. It was very easy to work with them and they gave me no problems.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
IMO it is NOT normal. The finish on your gun should not "chip" away the more you shoot it. My first black SR9 which had to be completely replaced by Ruger (not for the paint of course) had the same exact problem going on. I didn't like it. But I chalked it up to "normal wear and tear". My new SR9 does not seem to be be having this problem after 500 rounds through it so far. Now don't get me wrong! I bleed Ruger like the rest of you here but man was I embarrassed when I went to the Range and started looking at other peoples (manufacturers) 9mm's. There is no finish chipping away on these guns! My advice is to send Ruger a pic via email. (Anytime you want better attention to the problem, show Ruger a nice color picture). Just let them answer you if it is "normal wear and tear or not". If they say it is, then you go out and pick up a Birchwood Casey touchup pen and a toothpick and fill it in. You might be surprised with what Ruger has to say about it though. The bottom line - you have nothing to lose to show them a picture and tell them your feelings about it.

flatline74

Bearcat
Mine has the same thing as the OP. Called Ruger and they had me email them a pic. So, we will see what happens next.

michael hacker

Bearcat
I have shot more than a thousand rounds through my SR9c and it's as smooth and black as when brand new. The Nitroodox coating is not cheap or crappy. Those that look like the one pictured may have had a bonding problem at the molecular level. It is not normal, and Ruger will no doubt replace it. Mine is also in and out of the holster often, as I shoot daily, and as I said above, still as new. Hope the new slide has a better coating app.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
I have noticed that when they come out of the factory there is a very small burr at the muzzle end of the slide that wears down with firing,and in turn takes the finish with it.
Could be solved easy at factory with deburring tool.

flatline74

Bearcat
I contacted Ruger about the slide and just like RugerMom,I have sent mine in for the slide and barrel to be replaced. Great customer service so far!