SR9c barrel peening on sides

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alchemisttwo

Bearcat
New to the forum...thanks to everyone for all the great info I've read so far. I apologize if this has been covered already, but I didnt see a topic on this specific peening issue after a search of previous threads.

It appears my SR9c barrel has peening in 3 places, as marked below.
IMG_2603800x537.jpg

The peening on the left doesnt really concern me...but the other two spots seem to indicate a slide/barrel alignment issue.
IMG_2605800x671.jpg

You can make out a slight burr forming on the top of the peening on the right hand side in the pic below.
IMG_2608800x754.jpg

IMG_2607800x722.jpg

IMG_2613800x545.jpg

I believe the cause can be seen in the above pic...when the slide and barrel come back together, the left side of the barrel impacts the slide, which most likely causes the barrel to bounce off and impact the opposite side...causing the half-circle dent. The pistol has been flawless through 500 rounds of mixed FMJ ammo and I'd hate to send it in for something that is "normal" wear and tear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Mine looks precisely as your does, on each arrow point I have the exact same in my SR40C. Its caused zero problems and at 1500 rounds malfunction free rounds in I'm not concerned in the slightest. Should I be?

1000 grit sandpaper will take off any elevated areas in the first pick on the very top of the barrel there. Personally I'd not go sanding around the teeth at all, but its probably fine if you go very light, but I'm not going to do it...

alchemisttwo

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Mine looks precisely as your does, on each arrow point I have the exact same in my SR40C. Its caused zero problems and at 1500 rounds malfunction free rounds in I'm not concerned in the slightest. Should I be?

1000 grit sandpaper will take off any elevated areas in the first pick on the very top of the barrel there. Personally I'd not go sanding around the teeth at all, but its probably fine if you go very light, but I'm not going to do it...

Thanks for the info...its good to know I'm not alone at least :) I planned on very slightly deburring the area on top of the barrel...but I'd agree that messing with the teeth is a risky proposition. I'd probably just take off any burrs that form while the "fitting" process is taking place. I'm just worried that this is a sign of a bigger problem that will manifest itself later.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
alchemisttwo said:
Rei40c said:

Thanks for the info...its good to know I'm not alone at least :) I planned on very slightly deburring the area on top of the barrel...but I'd agree that messing with the teeth is a risky proposition. I'd probably just take off any burrs that form while the "fitting" process is taking place. I'm just worried that this is a sign of a bigger problem that will manifest itself later.

I understand. Well it has at least on mine, reached a point where it has stopped. It really functions much more smoothly now then new. I think we are looking at imperfect fit and a rather violent break in period for the barrel. I remember several shots when it was new seeing burning metal burs come flying off the barrel. I haven't seen it since. The "teeth area" in the back I suppose worries me much more then any other area of the barrel in terms of wear.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
When I first got my SR9,I worried about things like peening.Then I came to the "forget it,just shoot the gun".I did,and like 40c said,it stopped peening any further.Just a part of breaking in.

alchemisttwo

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback. Since the gun has been flawless to date, I'll just take off the burrs while it breaks in. It does make me wonder if this happens on other compact 9's and 40's though...

john16443

Single-Sixer
As indicated already, this barrel peening can be addressed with very light sanding. Since you only have about 500 rounds through it, keep track of it as you continue to shoot.

After over 5000 rounds through my SR9, I finally sent mine back to Ruger to address this barrel peening issue. http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/46885-different-kind-barrel-peening.html From the responses I got, nobody else seems to have experienced this. I also had slight peening on the hood as noted on the left arrow of your first pic, just took a fine file and gently removed it. That never returned.

Ruger replaced the slide and barrel for no cost to me.

Verndog

Blackhawk
My SR9c had a similar issue at first. I took a small jewelers file and lighly broke those edges and the problem completely went away. Over 3,000 rounds now with no recurring issues.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
It seems to me that this is due to mass produced parts assembled with no hand fitting, standard procedure in today's manufacturing. Considering how many of these guns Ruger makes its no surprise some of them exhibit flaws such as this. My SR9c has never exhibited peening.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
It seems to me that this is due to mass produced parts assembled with no hand fitting, standard procedure in today's manufacturing. Considering how many of these guns Ruger makes its no surprise some of them exhibit flaws such as this. My SR9c has never exhibited peening.

FergusonTO35

Hunter

FergusonTO35

Hunter

alchemisttwo

Bearcat
Its responses like "my SR9c has never shown any peening" that make me wonder if a trip to AZ is worthwhile. I dont want to waste Rugers time on something that is typical...and also have to start the break-in period all over again...but then again, I also dont want to have it become a paperweight - LOL. Maybe I'll check with Ruger CS to see what they'd say.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
Stone it. or don't. It's not an issue.

Move along. :D

Some people that have never experienced "peening" of any sort don't shoot a lot. Others "polish" those areas of their guns. And sometimes... sometimes... maybe they just had a 100% perfectly fitted firearm.

That being said, I'd like to be updated on what Ruger tells ya'.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
axisofoil said:
Stone it. or don't. It's not an issue.

Move along. :D

Some people that have never experienced "peening" of any sort don't shoot a lot. Others "polish" those areas of their guns. And sometimes... sometimes... maybe they just had a 100% perfectly fitted firearm.

That being said, I'd like to be updated on what Ruger tells ya'.

I agree but from my personal interaction Ruger is extremely good with their customer service. My point being their first reaction ( no matter what the complaint ) will likely be an offer to take a look at the firearm via sending it back, at least for an inspection almost no matter what the complaint.

In the phone call its very unlikely the CS rep that takes the call will really understand the problem totally without seeing the pics, and probably not being an SR series owner. I just can't imagine a situation the where the call would be something like "meh its fine don't worry about it". They will want it back I think most likely.

But like you I'm interested in the response from Ruger as well. I've already decided its fine, but perhaps there's other factors involved I don't understand.

But I'm glad Alchemisttwo posted it as I had the same thing and have never heard a response from Ruger on it.

alchemisttwo

Bearcat
I sent them an email via their website contact form...so in "3 business days" I should hear something from them. I'll post what I find out. Hopefully they have some good technical information on why this is or is not an issue.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Ferguson,

Sometimes the site is slow in posting. I'll wonder if I didn't click on the Submit button and, sure enough, if I hit it, I always get a double post.

When I get a double tap, I just go and edit one of them. At the bottom is a option to delete the post.

Regards,

Latest posts