SR9 failure to eject

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Max8700

Bearcat
I've only put about 250 rounds or so through my SR9, which I purchased last month. Yesterday at the range, firing about 100 rounds of Independence ammo (first time I have used that ammo in this gun) I had 4 instances of the weapon failing to eject the spent round.

Kind of surprised me. Now, I do not want to start a debate on the whole concept of 'limp-wristing', but I will say that during yesterday's range session I was focusing heavily on sight picture and target acquirement (using both one eye and two eyes). As I was focusing on that, a few times I noticed my grip was not as firm as it probably should be. I was so focused on the other things that I was not getting a good, proper grip (I'm fairly new to handgun shooting and still learning proper technique).

So my question to the group: Does the SR9 have any history of FTE issues? I also read a few places this morning that Independence ammo could be the culprit. Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks everyone.

Al James

Hunter
Seems that failure to fire is more common than FTE, due to the thick preservative used by Ruger creeping its way into the striker channel. I would fieldstrip the pistol and clean and oil. Try again. If it does it again I would change ammo first, then mark the mags to rule out a faulty mag.

That being said I can make most polymer guns FTE if I use a grip that is too low and I am trying to shoot the smallest possible groups. So make sure that you are holding the gun properly and not allowing all of the recoil to be absorbed by your wrist.

If you exhaust all of above give Ruger a call and ask for a call tag. Good luck and let us know!

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Would agree entirely. Clean it with Hoppe's #9 (or your favorite solvent) and Q-Tips. Make sure you're not carrying a pound of Ruger sludge in the crevices of your SR9 like mine was out of the box. The massive extractor probably has the grimy paste (Ruger-style) behind, between, under. The grooves in the slide carry a lot of crap, too. My striker channel took some cleaning as well. Independence Ammo is cheap and it works perfectly in my SR9.

Max8700

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice guys; I spent an hour yesterday cleaning the gun after field stripping and removing the striker channel. Some sludge/grease, but not too much. I'll get it out on the range this weekend and report back.

Max8700

Bearcat
edgalang said:
I'd also remove the extractor and make sure the claw is clean and still has a 90 degree edge.

Any good diagrams or videos on removing extractor? Field stripping and removing the striker channel and mag disconnect is about as far as I feel comfortable. Thanks.

edgalang

Bearcat
I'll see if I can find some. However if you can remove the striker....you are essentially 1 more step away from removing the extractor.

With the front of the slide hanging off the table, you simply punch the vertical pin right next to the loaded chamber indicator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmlAxLgc7Y8
Eric is basically doing it upside down...but at 1:30 you'll see him removing the extractor.

Of course...if you had the SR40 quick release pin, you wouldn't even need tools to take it out.

Max8700

Bearcat
edgalang said:
I'll see if I can find some. However if you can remove the striker....you are essentially 1 more step away from removing the extractor.

With the front of the slide hanging off the table, you simply punch the vertical pin right next to the loaded chamber indicator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmlAxLgc7Y8
Eric is basically doing it upside down...but at 1:30 you'll see him removing the extractor.

Of course...if you had the SR40 quick release pin, you wouldn't even need tools to take it out.

Thanks for the quick feedback; I'll take a look this weekend at it. Video makes it look pretty easy.

Damn, I've learned more on this board in 3 weeks about guns than the previous 34 years of my life. Appreciate everyone's help, especially with a novice like me.

wingnuut

Bearcat
That is really bottom of the line ammo, i found it to be very dirty and i believe under powered ,asi had 2 FTE but never with any other ammo, that my be why the gun stores have it in stock.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Concur with wingnut on Independence ammo. It's dirty and that's likely because the pressure is not enough to seal the brass in the chamber.

The only time I got failures to eject was when shooting minumum charge while working up handloads.

GKC

Blackhawk
edgalang said:

Can you explain what this is?

edgalang

Bearcat
Here's a link...

http://shopruger.com/VS06314-SR40c-Extractor-Pivot-Pin/productinfo/63034/

Instead of a roll pin that you have to punch out with a tool, Ruger made a pin that's slip on and is held down by the tension of the extractor on the grove.

To release, you simply have to push the extractor into the slide, and lift the pin up.

GKC

Blackhawk
edgalang said:
Here's a link...

Instead of a roll pin that you have to punch out with a tool, Ruger made a pin that's slip on and is held down by the tension of the extractor on the grove.

To release, you simply have to push the extractor into the slide, and lift the pin up.

Thanks.

GKC

Blackhawk
edgalang said:
Here's a link...

In checking the Ruger site, I don't see these pivot pin as being available for any gun other than the SR40c. I assume they won't fit other models...and it makes me wonder why it is available on just that one model. :?: