SR9 Barrel Peening Issue---How many have it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Had my new SR9 out twice now---less than 150 rounds---the barrel is now so peened the gun is now inoperable--all were WWB 115gn target loads.

Calling Ruger here in a minute and pretty pissed.

Gun is a post recall OD model in the 330-42xxx range.

Its a good thing I found this out at the range instead of a defensive situation-----or sell my Glock yet.

I really love how the SR9 feels and was planning on selling the Glock to get another all-black one---so we'll see how this goes.

They said send it in and are supposed to be e-mailing me a UPS label.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
There was some peening the first time out---from all the posts I saw--I thought that was normal.

Second time out--loaded 3 mags---first 2 shot fine--3rd mag jammed every shot----get to lookin at the gun and the peening was even worse---so bad it would hold the slide back just from the ledge cause by the peening.

Other than that it ejects just fine and the trigger is getting really nice.

wallask

Bearcat
I bought my SR9 shortly after they came out. The barrel peened so bad that it prevented the slide from the forward locking up position. I had to send it back. Ruger installed a new barrel which is fine. However, shortly after I received it, the recall went out and back to Ruger again. I have fired 1000+ rounds since with no issues,-finally.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Well my first SR 9 had peening among other issues, barrel was replaced twice. Second barrel showed peening after just working the slide maybe fifty times to dry and to try and do something about the terrible trigger. So after numerous phone calls and a year of headaches with sending the pistol back five times Ruger sent me a new pistol. No issues after about 300 hundred rounds. Slight shiny spot but no peening hopefully it stays that way.

hawkeye

Bearcat
So what is the real issue? Bad metallurgy with the barrel or the slide. Does Ruger have another problem that needs fixing? I'm beginning to wonder...I have put about 400 rounds thru my SR9 and I can see slight peening on the barrel. I'm going to watch it to see if it gets worse. Other than a gritty trigger that was fixed with a "fluff & buff", the gun has never jammed or failed to eject.

mekender

Single-Sixer
i spent about a hour on the phone with joe about mine last year... he seemed to think that it was a timing issue... what i think was happening is that the pivot area on the bottom of the barrel is not cut well enough, and that causes the barrel to not tilt out of the way of the slide quickly enough...

ruger will get it fixed up for ya... ive had no problems with mine in a long time...

robilmichael

Bearcat
I have around 400 to 500 rounds through mine (330-555xx, blackened) and no problems, no jams, no peening.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Dropped it off at UPS today----just doesn't feel right dumping off your gun in cardboard box to a bunch of monkeys.

Guess I'll leave the HD duties to my Mini-14 till my baby comes home :(

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i am having it, only about 40 or so rounds through it....
i was on the phone today but their "sr9 guy" was out so i am waiting for them to call me back....

i just bought it a couple weeks ago and i dont know what to think...
should i forget about it and let it go or try to get an answer from them...

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Mine worked fine till it just stopped---called and complained and they e-mailed me a shipping label.

In my note I put in with the gun---I also pointed out since I paid extra for a blackened slide that they'll have to refinish the underside of the slide where the peening scraped the finish off.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i got my label in the e-mail for the UPS....
will be sending mine off in a day or so.
they should really test these guns out, a few mags worth at the factory when you send it in to be repaired to find out if it would be doing the same on the new barrel....

i really hope it works smooth when i get it back....

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
quick question... i was on the phone with the ruger guys and they sent me a return label and all, like i said earlier...(above post)

but, they didn't tell me if it would cost anything....
are they going to work on my gun, then tell me to pay for it? and not send it back until i do?

how does this work? would like to know form someone who has went through this process before...
-Thanks

its a brand new gun with only 2 mags full through it... i don't think i should have to pay anything to get it repaired....

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Well from my experience with my SR9 they might not fix the first time or even the fifth time. But I can guarantee you they will not charge you a dime. The other thing they won't do that I found annoying is they will not notify you when the ship it back out to you. So it can be difficult to be around when the gun returns requiring your signature. Best of luck to you. When it works as it should the SR9 is a great gun.

Ruger9mmFan

Bearcat
My SR9 is a 330-66xxx SN is that the post recall for trigger and cam block? do those SR9 with same SN as mine still have issues? :eek: i put about 150-200 rds thru mine already not one FTF everything seems fine except i notice on the spent shell casing primer it looks like the primer was a slight mark after it was hit.

Latest posts