SR 1911 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rlkraatz

Bearcat
I purchased a SR1911 7/12/2016 and took it to the range. It took a longer than usual time to load the magazines. 9 rounds in the magazine. I have some sore fingers to prove it. I could hardly get the rounds into the magazines. I could not get the magazines into the loading port in the handle. I had to take two rounds out of the magazines to get them into the gun. Gun fired okay and the slide locked back on the last round. Rear sight was off six inches at 20 feet from the target. After checking the rear sight I noticed that it was mounted off to the left side of the slide. I fixed that okay and it is closer to shooting straight.
Called Ruger about the magazines. They said you have to pound the magazines into the gun. I called my better half over to the phone and ask her to pinch me to see if I was having a bad dream. What I heard from a Ruger representative was terrible. I ask the Ruger Representative again is that your fix for the bad magazines and she confirmed that in fact that was correct.
I have purchased guns from Ruger since 1966. I have many of their guns. What I experienced with the SR 1911 9mm is not the quality I have seen over the years of owning Ruger guns. I believe it is time to move on to a gun manufacturer that has some quality firearms.

7/29/2016. I made a second request to Ruger and they responded with two new magazines. Ruger sent the two new magazines. I loaded the two magazines with 9 rounds and was able to load the magazines into the pistol. The two original magazines would not load into the pistol with 9 rounds in them. If I removed two rounds it would load into the pistol. Now I am a happy they corrected the problem.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Probably the best thing to do is box that 1911 up and send it to me. LOL I'll get to the bottom of this pound the mag in thing. :?: :?:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Maglula UpLULA Magazine Speed Loader 9mm-.45 ACP UP60B $28

Works very well.

Mag into the grip?
Sounds like a very stiff mag spring (to both).

Try inserting it with the slide back. If it is a problem that way,
return it to Ruger.

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
Fully loading the magazines for mine is difficult also, tried 147 gr & 124 gr ammo. However both lock home no problem, slide closed or open. Both pop out normally too. The manual with mine is for the CMD with a separate sheet for the 9mm showing lubricating points. Don't say nothing about having to force the mag in.

cowboydave

Single-Sixer
Load your mags and let them set fully loaded for awhile.
By the time you go to the range again they should be easier to load.

HW11

Single-Sixer
The store I work at part-time now that I'm retired, still sounds funny to say that. Anyway we got one today. I got it out and fondled it a little. I really like the feel of it. The weight feels right for a carry pistol. I did not try to load a magazine but I bet that last one it tuff. One may be my next purchase. I got an AR 556 Wednesday. I don't think I'm going to make much working there but the benifits are great.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Lots of people have problems with stiff springs etc. Maybe you should stick with a different design. My dad prefers revolvers as his hand strength isn't what it once was.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I got one of the new SR-1911's in 9mm last Friday. This makes my 4th SR 1911.
I guess I'll be on the phone with Prescott shortly.
I cleaned it good yesterday and everything looks to be in order until I read this thread. I'm having a hard time physically getting around so it might be awhile until I get it to the range to actually shoot it.

I have to agree it is hard loading all 9 rnds by hand so I grabbed my UpLula.

I numbered my magazines so I knew which was doing what.
The one magazine is very hard to get in the magazine well with the 9 rnds loaded. I tried several times and I guess I was holding my mouth right when it finally went in. I also noticed trying to insert a fully loaded magazine with the slide closed it might go in and it might not. I had to hit it a few times quite hard with the palm of my hand for it to lock in.
When the magazines are empty they both go in as they should. Once I got the one loaded magazine that was giving me trouble inserting it seems to work correctly but there is no way it should be that hard to get a magazine in.
The 2nd mag goes in the magazine well a little better. Once finally getting them inserted both magazines feed. The one that actually inserts easier I found it chambers the cartridge but when I dropped the magazine out a loose round comes out of the magazine well. Apparently as it's feeding the chamber it's releasing a 2nd round.Definitely not acceptable

I'm going to see if I can get some answers now calling Prescott. Very disappointing. I've bought a few brand new Ruger's over the last few years that had serious problems. In the last couple years Ruger has replaced 3 guns and the one went back twice before they agreed to swap it out. From what I've been seeing lately coming out of Ruger this magazine issue probably shouldn't surprise me.
I'll report back if I can get through to Prescott's CS.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I got right through to Prescott and talked to the C.S. Rep Zane. He wasn't aware of any magazine issues since it's still a fairly new caliber in that model. I told him what I had done and what issues I was having with both magazines.

He checked and they do have replacement magazines in stock. They are replacing both of them. Enclosed with the replacements will be a prepaid envelope so I can return the defective magazines. I'm sure they will dissect them and find out what the deal is with them. I was surprised where they spot welded the magazines bodies the big indentions it made.

He told me please if I have anymore problems don't hesitate letting them know. Since it's still fairly new they aren't aware of any issues and would like be told about any so they can be corrected.
As always I received great Customer Service. I knew Ruger would make it right.I feel better after talking to Zane. Hopefully it is a magazine issue and the replacements will solve the problem. He said they will get them shipped out tomorrow so maybe by the end of the week I'll have them. I'll keep you posted.
********************************************************************************
Just for the heck of it I checked on Shopruger. They already have spare factory magazines for the 9mm SR1911's. Same 9 rnd mags.
They aren't a bargain @ 39.95 ea.
It says that they are made in the USA by Check Mate International.
I'm not familiar with this Check Mate. That might be where some of the problem lies.

http://shopruger.com/SR1911-9mm-9-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90600/

I might see if there's any after market magazines available after the these new Ruger's are out for awhile.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
In case anybody is interested. I received the replacement magazines today. I didn't have a problem getting the fully loaded magazine started in the mag well or port. The 2nd fully loaded replacement took a little finagling but it actually went in pretty easy or at least getting it started in the gun. BUT the big problem the one mag is doing the exact same thing as the one they replaced did. As it feeds a round into the chamber it's stripping a 2nd round out of the magazine leaving a loose round in the magazine well. I remove the mag and a loose round comes flying out.
Something that didn't sound right. I mentioned it was hard to get the magazine in and lock it in when the slide is in battery. I told him how I had to use the palm of my hand and bang it several times before it would lock in. He said that after it fires the first round you might have to relock that magazine in. That could get you killed in a life of death situation. He hesitate about having it shipped in before I take it to the range although he says yours sounds like it has different problems then what they've been receiving. I'm going in the AM and run a box or two through it.That way if there's anymore problems I can tell them.
He said they've gotten a half dozen or so back and when the tech checked and tested them there was nothing wrong with them. I'm not doubting him but that sounds odd. I was issued a FedEx shipping label. I don't know if I'll get it shipped on Friday but for sure it will be gone on Monday.

I'll follow up when I know something.

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
I'm currently saving up for one of these, but I'm a bit concerned about these magazine issues. I know Ruger's CS is terrific. That's why I own more Ruger firearms than those of any other maker. But, still...

I think I'm going to slow the truck down, a bit, and see how this develops, first.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
BrotherInArms said:
I'm currently saving up for one of these, but I'm a bit concerned about these magazine issues. I know Ruger's CS is terrific. That's why I own more Ruger firearms than those of any other maker. But, still...

I think I'm going to slow the truck down, a bit, and see how this develops, first.

Smart move. What gets me I never jump on a new model and I did with this 9mm.

I took it to the range today. I didn't make it last Friday like I had planned. That is one sweet shooting gun. At 7yds which I know is close it made one big hole. I ran into a buddy there and he has a few SR1911's in 45ACP. He witnessed the one magazine with the 9 rounds feed the chamber and release a 2nd round into the magazine port. I realize it's still brand new but I had one round apparently not go into full battery. When I tried to squeeze the trigger and it didn't do anything I racked the slide instead of looking at it. One of the mags fully loaded with 9 rnds gave me a little resistance getting it in the magazine port then it started.It almost seems like the 9 rnds is putting pressure and pushing the sides of the mag out just enough.

What my buddy and I both noticed, if we shot a couple rounds then dropped the magazine we noticed the next round that would have gotten chambered had worked it's way out 3/16ths or so. There was a gap between the back part of the magazine and the cartridge base.

Overall I'm happy with it. At this point though I'm not sure I would buy another one until these issues are resolved. I came home from the range typed out an update for the tech ,packed it up and dropped it off at Fed Ex. I'll update their findings and what all they are going to do. The sad part it's basically doing the same thing with the replacement magazines so possibly it might be more than a magazine issue. I can't
picture getting 4 bad or defective magazines with a problem. I hate to invest more money but I think I'll end up getting some Wilson magazines for it.

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
He witnessed the one magazine with the 9 rounds feed the chamber and release a 2nd round into the magazine port. I realize it's still brand new but I had one round apparently not go into full battery.
One of the mags fully loaded with 9 rnds gave me a little resistance getting it in the magazine port then it started.It almost seems like the 9 rnds is putting pressure and pushing the sides of the mag out just enough.
The sad part it's basically doing the same thing with the replacement magazines so possibly it might be more than a magazine issue. I can't
picture getting 4 bad or defective magazines with a problem.
I can. Taking your comments all into account, I suspect it might be poor magazine design/construction, or trying to put nine rounds into what should probably be an eight, or even seven-round magazine. Maybe only too much spring?

Ruger Redhawk said:
I hate to invest more money but I think I'll end up getting some Wilson magazines for it.
IIRC, there are three makers of magazines that fit it?

Btw, your comment that...

Ruger Redhawk said:
What my buddy and I both noticed, if we shot a couple rounds then dropped the magazine we noticed the next round that would have gotten chambered had worked it's way out 3/16ths or so. There was a gap between the back part of the magazine and the cartridge base.
Is not particularly concerning, I do not believe. For example: I just dropped the mag on my LCP, and the round on the top was, likewise, not up against the back of the mag. I don't know if it was better than 1/8" forward, but it was definitely forward a bit. I think that's normal?

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
As I mentioned Check Mate International is making these magazines for Ruger. I really know nothing about this Check Mate. I have to agree w/ B.I.A. I think a 9 rnd capacity in these magazines might be more then it should be loaded. It says it's 9 rnd and that's what I loaded. I guess I should have loaded one or two less to at least try it.

A dealer friend back home told me that Wilson is making a magazine that will work in the Ruger. I'm sure one of the Colt 1911 9mm mags will work.

I have seen a gap between the back of the magazine and the cartridge base before but I thought this was excessive especially when I have a 2nd round stripped off the magazine while feeding the chamber.
I'm sure if there is or was a recall on these magazine that Zane the CS Rep would have been aware of it. In fact when I was telling him what problems I was experiencing he even said there wasn't any magazine issues he was aware of.

I shipped it back to Prescott on Monday afternoon. I just checked the tracking , it's in Phoenix this morning and will be delivered later today by 4:30 PM. I'll update when I find out anything. I think this is going to be a real fine shooting gun once the bugs are worked out of it.

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
I'll update when I find out anything.
Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks!

Ruger Redhawk said:
I think this is going to be a real fine shooting gun once the bugs are worked out of it.
Seems to be only the one bug, no? Or bugs all related to the factory magazines, which may very well just be a case of bad magazine design and/or manufacture?

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
BrotherInArms said:
Ruger Redhawk said:
I'll update when I find out anything.
Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks!

Ruger Redhawk said:
I think this is going to be a real fine shooting gun once the bugs are worked out of it.
Seems to be only the one bug, no? Or bugs all related to the factory magazines, which may very well just be a case of bad magazine design and/or manufacture?

I will make it a point to let you know what all they have to say.

I say once they get the bugs worked out of them. Mine I believe is nothing more than a magazine problem although I've tried 4 different factory mags with basically the same issues.
When I called Ruger I believe it was the second time, I was telling the CS Rep Zane what issues I was having. He said something to the effect that's different from what we've been seeing. He didn't elaborate any and I didn't ask which I probably should have.
He did say they've gotten about a half dozen back. They were checked out and they couldn't find anything wrong with any of them. Okay! mine isn't one of them I know something isn't right.
That's why I put detailed info on the Ruger form I was emailed, then after shooting it I added a separate paper of what I experienced at the range. I want to get this resolved so I can start shooting it more often.
When I got home from the range, didn't clean it, I just packed up and shipped it. That way they know it has been fired.

The more I think about it I wish I would have thought about not fully loading the 9 rnds and see what that did.

More will follow

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
Can owners please post what mags (make/model) that they have used in their guns that work?

:mrgreen:

ended up buying one.

Congrats getting one. I think you'll be impressed with it.
I hope yours works out without having to send it back.

I'd like to know also what magazines work in other people guns. That would save allot of time not to mention the cost of buying different magazines for it.

I received a email from Ruger letting me know that they received my gun.