Spotted a GSR with a walnut stock,,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I was browsing a gun shop yesterday, and saw a NIB Gunsite Scout Rifle sporting a walnut stock. Now I know the "normal" configuration is the laminated stock, but it got me to wondering a few things.
Is this a Distributor Special? (Davidsons?)
Does anybody make a composite stock for the GSR?

What is the current market value of the GSR?
(I'm mostly a pistol guy,,,!)

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
Hi,
Spotted 3 of these at the Cheaper than Dirt in McKinney Tx on the 3rd. Wall price 831.00

I have laminated stock bought nearly two years ago. Fit and finish of action better on mine than current production. The Walnut stock looks good but I believe the laminated stock is better for bad weather.

My GSR wears Hi-lux scope with german reticle in leupold quick release rings. Andy's ching sling. And I took off the flash hider and put on a muzzle nut.

Barrel length is actually 17 1/8, not 16.5

Shoots better than I do even with cheap (relative term) Russian steel case ammo.

Cheers
Houston

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Houstonxd40 said:
Hi,
Spotted 3 of these at the Cheaper than Dirt in McKinney Tx on the 3rd. Wall price 831.00

I have laminated stock bought nearly two years ago. Fit and finish of action better on mine than current production. The Walnut stock looks good but I believe the laminated stock is better for bad weather.

My GSR wears Hi-lux scope with german reticle in leupold quick release rings. Andy's ching sling. And I took off the flash hider and put on a muzzle nut.

Shoots better than I do even with cheap (relative term) Russian steel case ammo.

Cheers
Houston

How do you like the scope? I've been thinking of picking one up, but wondered about quality. Is the HiLux/Leatherwood made in China?

The laminated probably is better, but having seen the walnut version I have to admit liking it better.

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
dfletcher said:
Houstonxd40 said:
Hi,

Cheers
Houston

How do you like the scope? I've been thinking of picking one up, but wondered about quality. Is the HiLux/Leatherwood made in China?

The laminated probably is better, but having seen the walnut version I have to admit liking it better.

Leatherwood answers:

I like the scope. Clear glass but I do notice some bubble imperfections of the glass when looking at the glass from an angle. Doesn't affect anything that I can tell though.

Yes they are made in China but quality appears to be good. I have not heard or read of anyone having disastrous results.

Price point is good on them.

They now have three reticles normal duplex, German #3, and a drop compensating reticle.
I have one each of the duplex and the German. I really like the German and it dialed in real well.

having the option of 2-7 variable is good, even though I usually set it at 3 power.

Cheers
Houston