Speed Six vs SP 101 in 357 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WAYNO said:
Ya know, I absolutely prefer any Security Six or Speed Six over any SP101. But, I carry my one and only SP101 more often than any of my Sixes. :wink: Go figure.

WAYNO.
Brilliant minds think alike........ :wink: My two favorites are the SP and the SS. Mood and weather determine my carry preferences for revolver CC. I find the SP101 easier to conceal then the Speed-Six when the weather is nicer.......

But, must admit I only carry these about 20% of the time. The rest of the time it is a Kahr PM9 or LCP. Off topic, but just expressing an overall preference. :D

Dave :D

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Like I say above, the overwhelmingly popular complaint against the SP is that it is too heavy and too bulky. Thus, for a vast majority of people, the answer is not a bigger heavier revolver than the SP. Unlike a service size revolver for most people, the SP can be belt carried under lighter clothing. If not, the LCR can. I don't know where this false dichotomy got set up that if you can't carry the gun in your pocket then you might as well have a gun you can only carry under a coat. I personally just don't agree. I think the best bet for Ruger CC revolvers are the LCR for pocket/belt and the SP for the belt. If you are planning on shooting past 15 yds, then yeah, most people need to look at a service size revolver. But most people who plan on shooting past 15 yds defensively aren't being realistic about their expectations. Sorry, but that's my highly practical outlook.

bogus bill

Hunter
We were issued 4" stainless speed sixs. I have no experiance with the SP101. Usualy I had my choice of colt offical police, the s&w 586 and the speed six. I really liked the grip frame of the speed six the best. I also liked to pack the OP as it was the lightest to tote. I seldom drew the 586 as on my guard job I wasnt into carrying the extra weight and oversize grips. And this is coming from someone who owns far more smiths than I do rugers or colts. I do consider the ruger a little overbuilt, I like smiths but consider the 586 also heavier than it needs to be. I do own some in all calibers but if I want to carry something as heavy as a 586 it might as well be in .44 special .44 mag or .45 colt and I do have all of them and also a 5" model 27-2. I very seldom take the fine 27 out of the safe as I have a smith 66-2 in 3" (same as a 19) and a couple pythons.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
MnBulldog said:
The Six's were much more the crowd pleaser. Of course that was in an era that quality and hand finishing was more common also.
By the time the Six series was introduced hand finishing was long gone. These are investment cast and machine finished guns just like Ruger has made for decades and decades and the amount of hand work in any of them is absolutely minimal. Actually modern CNC machines make far more consistent products than hand labor ever did.

You could still have a hand built and finished gun with impeccable credentials if you wish. Are you willing to pay $3000 or more for an hand built GP-100 for the privilege?

Sorry, maybe I should have phrased it as "quality and quality control prior to finishing" was more common. I am just meaning that without the panic purchasing (and the need to meet demand) of recent years, more time was likely spent on each unit.

I was one earlier who professed the SP was too heavy for this type and size of gun. I've since come to my senses and it really is only very slightly heavier.

In reality, if I was carrying a J-Frame, a Charter Arms, or my SP101, (but only in a OWB holster), I could tell absolutely no difference. And since in my mind, the SP is slightly more robust, it's the winner.

It still does not compare in any way to the Speed Six, but it was never designed to be compared to the Speed Six.

WAYNO.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Only revolver I ever regretted selling was my 1.75" barrel speed six. Was a time in my life when I thought I needed the cash to buy another firearm. Sold the speed six. One day, I will own another one. It was indeed a very nice revolver.

Jeff

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Timber Wolf said:
Come on guys, you discount the SP101 as being too big for pocket carry, well so is the Speed Six so how is that a knock against the SP?

The physical size of the SP101 is just right for pocket carry but it's just too heavy for the pocket. When you see the size of the Speed Six you know it's not a pocket gun.

I own a Speed Six, I have owned SP101's. I have pocket carried a Charter Arms and a J Frame S&W for many years, and most recently have been carrying my LCR .357. If I'm going to belt carry in a holster, I'm going to carry a larger gun, like a 4 inch revolver. I seldom carry my Speed Six for this reason.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Speed Six Med frame 6 shot ..SP101 slightly larger than "D" frame 5 shot...with the right carry rig ..give me a Speed Six

like mine ..
hkB2xsp5d.jpg

Frontman

Bearcat
I have both, but shoot my LCR much better, dunno why :eek:

Just saw and handled an SP101 4" .357 at the LGS. I'm smitten! Perfect woods gun. Light and handy, adjustable sights, and checkered wood (walnut?) grip inserts!

Stay safe.
Bob