Speed loader

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
I am trying to find a speedloader for my Sp101 in .357. I saw on a training video a speedloader that you press a button and it releases the bullets rather than an HKS that you turn the knob to release the bullets. It looks faster. Is it indeed faster and who makes such a speedloader?

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
much like the one in this video. who makes that?
http://www.snubtraining.com/

wwb

Hunter
Hard to tell for sure, but my money says it's a Safariland speed loader. Your money, your choice, but the HKS is, in my opinion, a better speed loader.

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
I have a couple HKS and they are great. I was just wanting to try whatever it is. I think he said DADE in the video.

cas6969

Buckeye
I believe DADE is long out of business, but you can get NOS ones on Ebay? (that or he's started making them again) Everything I've read says they worked good if you carried them in a belt carrier (like older duty gear), but otherwise they had a habit of unloading their rounds.

booneh

Bearcat
if you drop them they amost allways unload.i belive they were called 6 second loaders.
tryed them back in the 70s.they were no faster than hks and not as reliable.

booneh

deac45

Single-Sixer
I prefer the HKS, too. Whatever you end up with, carry it in a proper holder. It's embarrassing at the range to speed load your pocket...would be much worse in the real world.

deac45

protoolman

Service-Sixer
That is definitely not a safariland it is a Dade Machine Screw Company speedloader. They can be found on e-bay by searching for keyword speedloaders (plural -all one word- not speed loaders). The guy selling them now owns all the machinery and makes them up new. I have several and find them superior to many other designs. HKS is my second favorite-they are good but a slower design.
The one shown in the video as I said is a Dade -the second six loader mentioned above is another design altogether also. A few years back Wiley Clapp wrote an article on speedloaders and showed off his collection. It was a good article but I have way more models than he did . I am looking for a decent price on the Prideaux speedloader for Webleys if anyone has one around. Anyway maybe tomorrow I can post a few pics on possible models to look at for you.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
For those not clear yet: the SP101 can eat out of the same speedloaders as a standard S&W J-Frame 38Spl or 357. The model 36 S&W is the most commonly cited compatibility standard...HKS speedloaders for the SP101 are marked "36" for that reason.

This is true regardless of the type of speedloaders involved.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The HKS #36 has always been the loader I've used with SP101s as well as J frame Smith & Wessons..
They hold the cartridges better IMO, I tried the safariland & ended up dumping rounds & ended up selling them..

protoolman

Service-Sixer
speeds.jpg

The Dade is red white and blue in this picture they also come in all black of course and occassionally yellow. As stated before the new owner of the molds resides on e-bay. I find them the quickest as they take a simple push and hold the rounds fairly secure. The HKS is probably the most secure design but a bit slower since you have to turn the knob.

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
Thank you for the help. I have HKS and have order two safariland's comp 1. I am interested to test them out.

Of course nothing is quite as fast as my moonclips on my Sp101 9mm....