Spare parts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
I inherited a few nice firearms when my Dad past and came to realize that spare parts can be difficult and rather expensive to find for these older firearms.

I do not want my descendants to encounter the same issues.

I have already gathered a "spare parts" kit for my M1A and a few other rifles.

My question to you hand gunners is what parts should I obtain to build a "spare parts" kit for the following semi auto handguns?

Starting with the Rugers; P89, P95, SR9C, SR22

The SR9C and the SR22 are fairly new, the P89 is well used and the P95 is barely used.

Would you build a kit for each with the same parts for each, or is one model more likely to break something the others may not?

Thanks

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Good luck finding parts for the two P-series guns. They have been out of production for so long Ruger no longer supports them. Wolff does list recoil springs for the P-89 but no one has them for the P-95. Gun Parts Corp. (formerly Numrich) does list a few items but not many.

I'd stock a couple of recoil and hammer/striker springs and perhaps a spare striker assembly for the newer guns.

eveled

Hawkeye
Sell off the older obsolete guns, and buy 1911's. Or other widely available guns.

This is part of the problem as I see it. Things that come from your Dad have sentimental value to the you, even though they had very little value to your father (or anybody else). So my solution would be to only leave behind things that are worth being sentimental over. So your kids have heirlooms instead of headaches.

toysoldier

Hunter
This is where the gun destyroyers are your friend. Some jurisdictions mandate that the serial-numbered part of a "criminal" firearm be destroyed. The rest is sold as a "parts kit". For your pistols, you can pick up everything but the frame for $50-$100. Just look for "parts kit" on Gunbroker or other sites.

MedicYeti

Bearcat
To echo Toysoldier; look for parts kits on Gunbroker and eBay. I got spare everything except the serialized frame for my P-944 for under $100 shipped.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Unfortunately a parts kit is the only place you are going to find many P-series parts these days and prices just keep going up on them. As much as I liked my SR9C I didn't want to be high and dry looking for parts for it someday so I got out of it. For yours, I would just go to the shop Ruger website and order everything that looks like it could wear out, get lost, or cause a problem. At minimum I would suggest all springs, pins, mag release, and an extra fining pin.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
As much as I liked my SR9C I didn't want to be high and dry looking for parts for it someday so I got out of it.
It's a currently produced gun so what's your concern? Any current gun by any manufacturer can be discontinued in the future.

About the only "future proof" handguns I can thing of is a 1911 or an S&W K, L or N-frame revolver.