SP101 or LCR in 22LR?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joezilla

Bearcat
I am torn between getting an SP101 or an LCR in 22LR. I have not shot either, but would like to get responses from folks that have shot either or both. How is the trigger of each? They are both 8 shot revolvers which I like. This will be more of a plinker for me and the wife when we go range shooting. Easy to reload? Easy to clean? Almost no recoil?

Help me out here guys/girls.

Joe

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I have both but have never shot the LCR. Probably never will shoot it either. When you hold the 101 and the LCR at the same time you will see why I came to this conclusion. :D For starters the 101 has adjustable sights. The LCR has ummm a blade sticking out of the top of the barrel at the front and two bumps at the back.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Ruger45 said:
I have both but have never shot the LCR. Probably never will shoot it either. When you hold the 101 and the LCR at the same time you will see why I came to this conclusion. :D For starters the 101 has adjustable sights. The LCR has ummm a blade sticking out of the top of the barrel at the front and two bumps at the back.

How is the trigger on the 101? Hard to cock?

Joe

JFB

Hunter
I only have and held only the SP101.
to ensure positive ignition of rimfire, the hammer and thus the trigger is harder to pull than centerfired calibers.

I immediately "Noticed" the trigger differance versus my SRH. However I have found that it provides a work out for my trigger finger. I mainly shot double action.

I can not percieve any recoil

Fackler Rebel

Bearcat
I have an SP101 that I bought in the 90's, full lug, but only a 6 shot. I hardly ever shoot any revolver in DA mode. I'm 65 years old going on 66 and too old to change and don't want to argue DA versus SA. So, even though I have arthritis in the dominant hand, I have no problems cocking the gun or does my puny wife.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Fackler Rebel said:
I have an SP101 that I bought in the 90's, full lug, but only a 6 shot. I hardly ever shoot any revolver in DA mode. I'm 65 years old going on 66 and too old to change and don't want to argue DA versus SA. So, even though I have arthritis in the dominant hand, I have no problems cocking the gun or does my puny wife.

That is good to know Fackler. Thanks.

Joe

Rocdoc

Buckeye
No love for the LCR, UGLY to me eye. I'd go with the SP101 every day of the year.

grayelky

Bearcat
Apples and oranges, in my mind anyway. The LCR is a concealed carry format, not necessarily intended for great range accuracy. The SP101 is more of a trail gun, more weight, longer barrel and better sights.

For range/plinking use, I would suggest a Mark III. Magazines are easy to lad and swap, you will get a much better trigger and a longer barrel with a corresponding longer sight radius, which will ultimately translate into better hits on target. Check Ruger's web site for the various combinations for the Mark III. There will be one there that will suit your desires.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Joezilla said:
Ruger45 said:

How is the trigger on the 101? Hard to cock?

Joe
The trigger is not bad but cocking it the hammer is a bit heavy/hard not nearly as smooth as a single six. The trigger seems to be a bit lighter on the LCR than the 101 when squeezing the 101 DA style

Fountain E. Conner

Single-Sixer
'Depends on what you want. I have a 38 sp LCR for carry; I got a .22 LCR for "cheaper" practice. It has paid for itself several times in $$ saved on ammo. Really good for helping the recoil-shy novice shooter who wants to carry.

The .22 trigger is not quite as good as the 38 sp, and my groups are getting tighter, even on my SP101.

I'd like a .22 SP101, not for practice, but plinking single action. 'Can't justify one just now tho'. I got a firearm in October that I haven't fired yet. If I can't find time to shoot the ones I have, I shouldn't have more.

grayelky

Bearcat
Fountain E. Conner said:
'Depends on what you want. I have a 38 sp LCR for carry; I got a .22 LCR for "cheaper" practice. It has paid for itself several times in $$ saved on ammo. Really good for helping the recoil-shy novice shooter who wants to carry.

The .22 trigger is not quite as good as the 38 sp, and my groups are getting tighter, even on my SP101.

I'd like a .22 SP101, not for practice, but plinking single action. 'Can't justify one just now tho'. I got a firearm in October that I haven't fired yet. If I can't find time to shoot the ones I have, I shouldn't have more.

YOU WATCH YOUR TONGUE, YOUNG MAN!! There may be some wives reading this! :)

Ruger45

Blackhawk
grayelky said:
Fountain E. Conner said:

YOU WATCH YOUR TONGUE, YOUNG MAN!! There may be some wives reading this! :)
What he said :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richbaker

Blackhawk
grayelky said:
Apples and oranges, in my mind anyway. The LCR is a concealed carry format, not necessarily intended for great range accuracy. The SP101 is more of a trail gun, more weight, longer barrel and better sights.

For range/plinking use, I would suggest a Mark III. Magazines are easy to lad and swap, you will get a much better trigger and a longer barrel with a corresponding longer sight radius, which will ultimately translate into better hits on target. Check Ruger's web site for the various combinations for the Mark III. There will be one there that will suit your desires.

SP is old school snub nose CC weapon. LCR is new school CC weapon sameo-sameo...... the .22 rf version is meant as a trainer for the full-size version, or as a CC for a person unable to handle the full-size version.....

Joezilla

Bearcat
So.........if I were going to place one of these in a drawer for the wife to use as a "quick to get to" gun for the home in the designated drawer, which would you prefer? She has her carry permit, but refuses to have much to do with guns these days. She is a "not much" recoil type of shooter. Her hands are not strong enough to cycle slides reliably, hence getting her a revolver. I think the .22 will be a good choice due to the lack of recoil. This is all I can think of for the times I am not present, as when I am around, I always have at least one and sometimes two .38/.357 guns on my person. I have also thought about using my GP100 in that drawer loaded with those Hornady 92 grain .38 specials. That GP100 is a sweet shooting revolver and shooting .38's has almost zero recoil.

I really am at my wits end, and only want her to feel safe especially when I am not around.

Joe

grayelky

Bearcat
Have you considered the LCR in .22 magnum? Hornady, Speer and Winchester all load .22 mag ammo designed specifically for 2" barrels. Their loads have less muzzle flash than other .22 mag ammo designed for 20" rifle barrels, and may generate more velocity in short barreled handguns. Just about any magnum round will yield more energy than a LR round.

Fountain E. Conner

Single-Sixer
grayelky said:
Have you considered the LCR in .22 magnum? Hornady, Speer and Winchester all load .22 mag ammo designed specifically for 2" barrels. Their loads have less muzzle flash than other .22 mag ammo designed for 20" rifle barrels, and may generate more velocity in short barreled handguns. Just about any magnum round will yield more energy than a LR round.

Have you found any .22 magnum ammo lately? I haven't seen any at any sort of reasonable price for over a year. I have enough just now, but I'm feeling insecure at the scarcity.

My wife has a S&W 351C with a Crimson Trace on it... Sweet-shooting little gun, but don't know if it's much-superior to a .22 LR, particularly from such a short bbl. You ballistics experts will have to help me on this. I know you lose a lot of velocity from a short barrel.

.22 LR is difficult to find, but .22 magnum is impossible!

grayelky

Bearcat
I would pick the 351 due to it's larger capacity. Granted, the 22 mag ammo is a little harder to find, but then, it is not going to be a high volume range gun. Yes, ammo may be a little more expensive, but it is still cheaper than 38 sp. The 3 brands I mentioned will provide improved performance over standard 22 mag ammo from a short barreled handgun. You will get some who will prefer the LR. For my $.02 worth, based on the testing I have done, I prefer the magnum round over the LR.

Wanna sell your 351? Send me a PM if you do.

Joezilla

Bearcat
This is not a Ruger firearm, but it does shoot .22LR and .22WMR via an interchangeable cylinder. The gun I am thinking about is a Taurus Tracker 992. I am seeing some decent reviews on it, but am very leery of anything with the name Taurus on it.

Joe

WildWes

Bearcat
I haven't shot the SP101, but have put over 1000 rounds thru my LCR22. Nice lite, compact 8 shot 22, but it does
have a hefty trigger pull.