SP 101 versus LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
I am seeking forum knowledge. If anyone has experience with both the SP 101 and the LCR I would like to hear the differences and preferences. I understand the trigger is substantially different. I am not opposed to working on the trigger of the SP 101 but I think the LCR trigger might exceed my knowledge and experience base .

rjn

Bearcat
I have both and they each have there niche. For discreet pocket carry, the LCR can't be beat. When I carry it goes into to my pocket...no holster. The LCR trigger is smooth and I doubt it could be made better.

The SP101 is more substantial and can also be pocket carried but you'll know it is there. If I am carrying for the long haul I use a simply rugged holster. If I am running out for short time I drop it in my back pocket...no holster.

For me lcr=> city and the SP101=> outdoors.

I shoot the LCR as well as the SP101. If I could only have one it probably would be the SP101 but I wouldn't be happy.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Tend to agree with rjn......for me the LCR pretty much only shoots 38 and 38 +P, while with the SP shooting whatever I feel liking putting into it....each to his own.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
You aren't going to work on the trigger of the LCR. They don't come apart for cleaning or disassembly.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Also, for pocket carry one should seriously consider a DeSantis Nemesis (or similar) pocket holster.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I had an LCR in .327 magnum and found it a bit stiff on recoil. I sold it and just got an SP-101 in the same caliber. It makes shooting better for me. I have an LCR in 22. LR and I love it. There is one good thing about the LCR in any caliber. They are a pleasure to carry concealed or open. If I didn't have damage in my hands and related joints I would have kept the LCR in .327 magnum. I will keep the .22 LR for sure. I have thought of getting an LCR in 38 Special.

The LCR's are snubbies, and they shoot like snubbies. I have an LCR-X in .22 LR and it is a better shooter than the LCR, but both are adequate. I have several SP-101 revolvers and overall I prefer those for shooting. I would say that your choice should be based upon need and function.

Both models come with excellent triggers. There is no need to do trigger work on firearms to be used for self defense. Learn the trigger, practice shooting with it, and it will be fine. In actual combat you would never know the difference in triggers. Good luck! :)