SP 101 22lr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

30Calrifle

Bearcat
Hi I'm new to the forum, just bought a new sp101 in 22lr.

This is a nice 22 revolver, I have a larger cousin of it in a GP100 6", that one is about 25 years old.

My observations on the new gun is that the da trigger is stiff but smooth, the sa pull is nice, breaks clean, not gritty. it could use a lighter spring also.

Put 120 rds through it yesterday, I expect things to smooth out more as it reaches 500+ rds. Sights are great but the slotted adjustment screws have a narrow slot to them, you need a real thin blade for the screw driver.

Ammo was a mixed bag of Fed, Rem, and CCI. All shot great, the CCI Velocaraptor shot the most accurat, with the Remington cycloe a close second.

Anyone else have this little sweetheart of a gun? :D

eveled

Hawkeye
Wich one do you have? One of the older 6 shot guns, or the new 8 shot with the fiber optic sight? They are all great guns. Mine is the 6 shot full lug 4 in barrel. The trigger will never be as nice on the 22 as on the 357 because rimfires need a harder hit, for reliable ignition. Ed

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum, 30Calrifle, and congrats on finding an SP101 in 22lr! Wolff makes a spring kit for this gun, and you can find instructions on polishing up the trigger somewhere on this forum too.

I've done both and while the DA pull is still stiff, it's smooth and I can shoot it accurately. The SA pull is really nice. If you go with springs that are too light, you will get light strikes and misfires though.

I haven't had a problem with any ammo I've shot, but I can't find any .22lr right now :cry:

Link to trigger job instructions:
http://www.teslamap.com/public/sp101_trigger_job/index.html

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
This is my SP101 .22LR 8-shooter:
IMG_0242_zps5b5306c7.jpg

I was lucky as my revolver's sights were perfectly adjusted out of the box. The windage adjustment screw is, as you say, tiny! :roll: Fortunately I did not need to mess with it. That has been my experience with a number of Rugers, by the way. They do seem to take pains to adjust the sight before shipping the gun. Or maybe their manufacturing tolerances are just that good.

This is a very handy and beautiful gun. Mine is perfect, heirloom quality. Love the grips.

Here is a nice accessory for the SP101 .22 LR 8-shooter:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2HMTBKBPZG7NP/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

30Calrifle

Bearcat
This is the 8 shot half barrrel lug as show by RedlegM109A1.
The aim of the gun is dead on for a center of target hild, with hand guns I like a 6 oclock hold. I just may leave this for awhile.

I've been "semi dry firing", double action firing but hold my other thumb on the hammer so it doesn't smackk the transfer bar with any foecre. The triggers seem to be smoothing out. Is this ok?

I thought Wolke springs on their web site said they don't make any springs for this model because of the new design?

Thanks again everyone.

paochow

Bearcat
30Calrifle said:
This is the 8 shot half barrrel lug as show by RedlegM109A1.
The aim of the gun is dead on for a center of target hild, with hand guns I like a 6 oclock hold. I just may leave this for awhile.

I've been "semi dry firing", double action firing but hold my other thumb on the hammer so it doesn't smackk the transfer bar with any foecre. The triggers seem to be smoothing out. Is this ok?

I thought Wolke springs on their web site said they don't make any springs for this model because of the new design?

Thanks again everyone.

I don't think the internals are any different- my .357 and .22 SP101's are very similar, but rather as other posters have mentioned that the .22lr needs a stiffer spring to go bang each time. I tried the 10# and 12# wolff hammer springs but got the occasional light strike. I switched to a 14# spring from my stock .357 SP101 and it works well.

eveled

Hawkeye
paochow, what number is the factory spring for the .22? Also what spring are you using in the .357? Thanks, Ed

DPris

Buckeye
The newer 8-shot HAS been changed a bit to allow for the timing necessary with two more rounds, and the firing pin arrangement is different from older models.
Denis

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have had the Sp101 .357 mag with 2 1/4 in. barrel for 11 years and the new Sp101-22 for about 6 months, they are both top quality with no flaws. After about 2000 rounds threw the Sp 22 LR i have only had 6 or 7 misfires and they appeared to be ammo related, cocking the hammer and DA trigger pull are stiff, but after getting used to it, it is vary accurate and enjoyable to shoot both SA and DA. Both my SP revolvers are easy to maintain and built to last a lifetime. I picked up a pair of 5 Star speed loaders for the SP101-22 and that made it more fun to shoot at the range, everyone should have an SP101-22 just for the fun of it.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
RedlegM109A1 said:
This is my SP101 .22LR 8-shooter:
IMG_0242_zps5b5306c7.jpg

I'm sorry, something must be wrong with the pic you posted. I don't see a gun anywhere !

paochow

Bearcat
eveled said:
paochow, what number is the factory spring for the .22? Also what spring are you using in the .357? Thanks, Ed

The part # is KW00403 on the .22. I'm not sure of the poundage, but I'd guess it is 17# or so.

I'm running the 10# spring in my .357 sp101, no light strikes so far. If I was using it as a carry gun I'd probably use a 12# though, just to make sure.

silverback

Blackhawk
just took mine to the range, forgot to take wolf spring kit with me. i had put the lightest hammer spring in and did experience light strikes. next time i will take spring kit with me and go from there. i really enjoy the rear adjustable sights. they just seem to work better with my eyes. i did polish all internals and my trigger is smooth and crisp. great fun gun to shoot. very happy. mine was lightly used and came with a nylon hogue grip. i am going to use both next time as i seem to fair better with stock grips.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
Question for anyone that owns the new model.. need insight

Does anyone actually fire this double action? I am only asking the question this was as I have been watching the reviews and the youtube videos and almost all off them except Gunblast is firing only single action.
I am wondering how the double action trigger is in regards to smoothness, trigger weight, accuracy effect double vs single action.

Any help would be great as this model really has my attention, thanks all

silverback

Blackhawk
i have shot double action and as with any DA accuracy is affected. In DA you can pull and hold just before the trigger breaks but the you might as well do single IMHO. When I do quick DA my groups spread considerably. I will say that with the wolf springs it is still a bit stiff. I haven't' put allot of DA time in but I am sure that my groups will come back to a respectable size as I practice.

DPris

Buckeye
The DA pull is heavy.
I don't fire mine in DA mode, no real reason to, for me.
If I want to hit something, I'll cock the thing. :)
Denis

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
The DA pull is heavy.
I don't fire mine in DA mode, no real reason to, for me.
If I want to hit something, I'll cock the thing. :)
Denis

Heavier than say...... a SP101 in .357 or comparable to a LCR would you say? Just trying to find a comparison other than "x" lbs of trigger pull weight,

DPris

Buckeye
Heavier than the .357 version (I have two) & far heavier than the LCRs (fired .38 & .22 versions).
Denis

silverback

Blackhawk
mine is no way heavier than the 357 version. I have both. now I haven't put a little trigger spring in the 357 yet as I am still trying to decide between it and the gp 4 inch.... I have the light trigger spring and the 12 lb hammer spring as any lighter and I didn't get reliable DA primer strikes. I am eventually going to add hammer shims to see if that will help and if I can descrease hammer spring weight. both are slightly heavier than my light spring kit in the gp 4 inch.

DPris

Buckeye
Both of the .22 four-inch SPs I've worked with had heavier DA pulls than both of my recent .357 four-inch versions.
They may vary slightly, but the stiff 12-pound-plus DA trigger on the new .22 SP is its only real downside for many.
Denis