Sometimes Security Six Prices Go Crazy.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/624431328

You never know what's going to spark a bidding war.

Was watching this very nice used but "LNIB" 200th Year of Liberty Security Six and no one bid on it until the last day, when it went from the starting bid of $600 to $805. That's a lot of money for a Security Six, even a nice one.

johnp

Bearcat
I agree. I'm sure the market sets the price, but I swear some times the seller has friends bid just to drive up the price.

Maybe I oughta start listing some of mine. :mrgreen:

I keep saying that, but I just can't do it.

Someday when my kids end up selling mine, there might be many fewer collectors, and they could take a dump in value.

Or I could paint them all black and make them worth more.

WAYNO.

LDM

Blackhawk
Seems like the only time a six series goes up for sale is when the owner expires and it's part of an estate liquidation. I've only seen one for sale in the past three years, a blued four inch Service Six in 95% condition and I grabbed it as I doubt I would see another anytime soon.

Prices on the Six series went crazy about 5-6 years ago when people "discovered" them again and really saw how well made and versatile they were. They sold like gangbusters for a few years and then tapered off as the prices skyrocketed. Now, the prices are (seem to be) holding steady except for a few of the more sought after configurations, the 200th year models in both blue and stainless being one of them. Plus when you can get all the paperwork and correct box, it just adds to the price (at least for collectors :D ). I would suspect that gun would have gone even a bit higher had it had the shipper.

The other thing is the vast price differential depending on where in the US you are.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I though I was crazy years ago when I paid around $450 for a nib with shipper , stainless 2 3/4" Security Six. Other SS's at the time were average around $300 or so. Nice price for that auction buuutttt....Im not sure Id let mine go for that. Where else ya gonna find a replacement?

I'm not a collector of Sixes by any stretch. I don't even have that many, but I like them a lot. It's gotten to the point that it's difficult to find one for a descent price. Security Sixes and Speed Sixes in Stainless. get run up pretty good. With shipping you can easily have $600+ into one pretty easily. But then that's true of some of the old, pre-lock Smiths and they run up even higher. With the Security Sixes the 2-3/4" and 4" are both desirable guns. With the Speed Sixes the 2-3/4" are especially in demand, the 4" are high but not as bad. Blue depending on condition can run up pretty good especially with the Security Sixes. Not like I need any more 357 mags but you can't have too many. I don't require immaculate guns at this point in my life, just good condition, at a reasonable price is getting my attention. The way bidding goes, you never know till the last couple of hours before the bidding is to close.

Baldy

Single-Sixer
I got one just like it. No box, paper, or anything. Gun has a lot of dings, scratches, and the bluing is shot. It's a good shooting old gun and you couldn't ask for a better one. :lol:

longunm

Bearcat
Boys I was lucky to find a Police Service Six 2 3/4 barrel with original wood grips locally with shipper and red/black box locally. Serial number makes it a 1977 model. It's on lay away now.
I'm not really a 357 kinda guy but I could'nt resist.
Ya know......impulse.
Can I back up a few years and shoot 38 Colt in this???
longgunnm

longunm said:
Boys I was lucky to find a Police Service Six 2 3/4 barrel with original wood grips locally with shipper and red/black box locally. Serial number makes it a 1977 model. It's on lay away now.
I'm not really a 357 kinda guy but I could'nt resist.
Ya know......impulse.
Can I back up a few years and shoot 38 Colt in this???
longgunnm

Yes, .38 Short Colt and .38 Long Colt can be shot in this. But now you're gonna make me ask "why the question?" It's not a cartridge we see much any more.

WAYNO.

mike4570

Bearcat
I wish Ruger would rediscover the Six Series guns. I have 4" Police Service Six and a 3" USPS Speed Six. About as unbreakable as an anvil!

longunm

Bearcat
Wayno,
Thank you for the information. Truly appreciate it. I know it's an outdated cartridge but is available in cowboy loads around here although not at bargain prices. Hopefully beyond the nostalgic persona, it would be mild on older somewhat arthritic hands. Mild 38 specials would be next in line.
If you have experience with 38 Colt Short or Long, do you notice different recoil levels compared to 38 special?
longgunnm

longunm said:
Wayno,
Thank you for the information. Truly appreciate it. I know it's an outdated cartridge but is available in cowboy loads around here although not at bargain prices. Hopefully beyond the nostalgic persona, it would be mild on older somewhat arthritic hands. Mild 38 specials would be next in line.
If you have experience with 38 Colt Short or Long, do you notice different recoil levels compared to 38 special?
longgunnm

Yes, the .38 Colt loads are soft-puffers, but .38 Specials can be just as mild. The .38 Special wad cutters are a very slightly heavier bullet, but at the same velocities as the .38 Colt loads. Very pleasurable and painless, as well as extremely accurate. If a feller was a hand loader, you could duplicate the .38 Colt loads with the .38 special and lighter bullets, very easily.

If you want very mild .38 Special loads, and are a reloader (or know someone who you trust to load for you). Load up the .38 cases with Federal small pistol primers (or your favorite small pistol primer), then 2.5 grains of Red Dot and a 148 grain Hollow Base or Bevel Base Wadcutter and seat them flush in the case with just a little roll crimp. VERY mild, next to no recoil and just over 700 fps and should be very accurate. This was the load I used when shooting PPC and every stage was typically shot DA so you didn't shoot ammo with a lot of recoil.

longunm

Bearcat
I hope I didn't offend anyone in this thread injecting questions about 38 Colts along with the fact of finding a very nice Service Six.
And thank you all for the loads and reloads information to shoot milder cartridges.
Ruger builds and has built revolvers to cover a lot of our shooting "needs"!